HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 6:35 AM
matt in the city

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Which report is that from?
City of Surrey? (i.e. is it a source that would have actual knowledge of route planning?
Do the Expo Line routes represent rapid bus or extensions?
its from the files for SFU & City of Surrey Transportation Lecture Program 2010. I have my ways of finding things lol
That map is from the Transport Action BC website, created for Transport Action. Here is a more current version.

http://bc.transport-action.ca/learni...t_network.html

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 8:46 AM
Fastest = best

Quote:
Surrey Rapid Transit Study - consultations this month:

http://www.translink.ca/en/Be-Part-o...sit-Study.aspx

Alternatives to be posted on October 12th - That should be interesting!!
(Akin to the UBC extension alternatives - I expect both SkyTrain and LRT options)

http://www.translink.ca/en/Be-Part-o...ernatives.aspx

Workshop Schedule
A presentation will begin 45 minutes into each session, with a workshop to follow.

October 14, 2010
6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Langley Hampton Inn Rooms A, B & C
19500 Langley Bypass, Surrey

October 18, 2010
6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
SFU Surrey
Rooms 5140 & 5100
13450 102 Avenue, Surrey

October 19, 2010
1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Surrey Sport and Leisure Complex
Rooms MP1 & MP2
16555 Fraser Highway, Surrey

October 25, 2010
6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Newton Seniors Centre
Auditorium
13775 70 Avenue, Surrey
Now, this is exciting; seems like a very nice way to present my Port Mann-Guildford-Fleetwood-Newton-[1. Strawberry Hill-Delta-Richmond, 2. South Surrey-White Rock] LRT line plan
Too bad the presentation centres aren't any closer to where I am
Anyways, who's going to be there?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjauk View Post
This is simply not true--at least in British Columbia. The city decides how much money it needs for the next year, then determines how much property tax each homeowner/business will be charged based on the relative (not absolute) value of that property. If property values in Vancouver were to drop 50%, the amount of money collected by the City via property taxes would not necessarily change. What would change is the property tax rate (or the mill rate).
I will say I was wrong on the property taxes. I assumed as the value of the property started to fall you would pay less.

But if that is the case then that gives a bigger reason of using property taxes over sales taxes. Your not subject to the wild swings of sales taxes.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 11:33 PM

That's also one of the reasons that municipal governments are often criticized for failing to reign-in spending - they can always adjust the mill rate to raise the amount they want for any given year.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
Now, this is exciting; seems like a very nice way to present my Port Mann-Guildford-Fleetwood-Newton-[1. Strawberry Hill-Delta-Richmond, 2. South Surrey-White Rock] LRT line plan
Too bad the presentation centres aren't any closer to where I am
Anyways, who's going to be there?
I'm trying to figure out if i should go to the one in central or fleetwood

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 5:40 AM
with glowing hearts

Be still my beating heart...

http://www.vancouversun.com/unwanted...278/story.html

Extra old buses that were used for the Olympics crushed and sold to a scrap yard...would have been ideal to have kept some if we demand warranted additional service and we didn't have the money to buy new ones right away.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 5:55 AM

I should have rode one of those before it was sent to the yard. ><

On the other hand, one should keep in mind that these buses lived a pretty productive life... and they've sort of outlived it by now. Their fuel efficiency isn't the best, and parts cost more due to their scarcity.

Fortunately, if I recall, at least one of them (a suburban version of the D40) has been kept for local preservation here.

Also interesting to note the two oddball WVMT Orion I buses in the middle of the crushed stacks of D40s.

Last edited by allan_kuan; Oct 12, 2010 at 6:08 AM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post

Extra old buses that were used for the Olympics crushed and sold to a scrap yard...would have been ideal to have kept some if we demand warranted additional service and we didn't have the money to buy new ones right away.
Well, there are about 65-70 surplus newer buses that are kept in storage, plus an unknown number of surplus trolleys (at least 20, since the 20 buses that replaced by the new 60ft trolleys was supposed to redistributed to other routes, but that never happend). That would be enough resource to implement 4 B-Lines, or double the service in all North Shore routes, if they have the money to run them!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 6:24 PM

surplus trolleys?
Until today diesel's have been replacing trollies on the #7 Route and there were still diesel's being used during Peak periods for extra service on trolley routes.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 11:13 PM

And there goes the last of the non-Orion high-floored buses.

Seems like such a waste.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
surplus trolleys?
Until today diesel's have been replacing trollies on the #7 Route and there were still diesel's being used during Peak periods for extra service on trolley routes.
Apparently this was due to construction along the #7 route on Nanaimo St.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
I will say I was wrong on the property taxes. I assumed as the value of the property started to fall you would pay less.

But if that is the case then that gives a bigger reason of using property taxes over sales taxes. Your not subject to the wild swings of sales taxes.
I agree that property tax revenues are more likely to be stable than are sales tax revenues, at least in BC. In many jurisdictions in the USA, property tax rates remain constant, which does cause dramatic fluctuations in the revenues generated therefrom as a result of the naturally cyclical nature of real estate values.

If you want to know more about the property tax rates charged in Vancouver (on all types of property) go here:

http://vancouver.ca/fs/budgetServices/taxrates_2000.htm

You'll find links to all subsequent years, up to and including 2010 on the left-hand sidebar.

You'll notice that while real estate values in Vancouver have increased more than two-fold since 2000, property tax revenues have increased about 33%.

Last edited by mrjauk; Oct 13, 2010 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Added something to the end of the post

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Surrey Rapid Transit Study - consultations this month:

http://www.translink.ca/en/Be-Part-o...sit-Study.aspx

Alternatives to be posted on October 12th - That should be interesting!!
(Akin to the UBC extension alternatives - I expect both SkyTrain and LRT options)

http://www.translink.ca/en/Be-Part-o...ernatives.aspx
I've been checking all day, and the Surrey alternatives just went up in the past 5 minutes: http://www.translink.ca/en/Be-Part-o...ernatives.aspx

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post

http://www.vancouversun.com/unwanted...278/story.html

Oh man!! I saw them stored in Richmond for months, but just today noticed they were ALL gone...

Ironically I saw one later in the day, an ex PoCo yard bus, that had white paint all over the old yellow and blue translink colours.

Though noisy, these were always my favorite style of bus.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 6:34 AM
Crazy as a mad hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Well, there are about 65-70 surplus newer buses that are kept in storage, plus an unknown number of surplus trolleys (at least 20, since the 20 buses that replaced by the new 60ft trolleys was supposed to redistributed to other routes, but that never happend). That would be enough resource to implement 4 B-Lines, or double the service in all North Shore routes, if they have the money to run them!
Well you want to keep some out of circulation in case of breakdowns and with the number of buses that are in service, i would guess that we have at least a few breakdowns per day for various reasons.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmigs View Post
Well you want to keep some out of circulation in case of breakdowns and with the number of buses that are in service, i would guess that we have at least a few breakdowns per day for various reasons.
No, those buses (except the trolleys) are "stored", meaning that they are not in any of the transit yard. Similar to those 60 feet buses in 2001, which was stored in a facility near Braid station before they got back into service in fall 2003.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 1:22 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Something that has been brought to my attention here, the results for the 2010 Architectural Engineering Design Competition have been announced. Contestants (students) were to submit hypothetical plans for Capstan Way Stn on the Canada Line, the station that was never built.

Highly advise you to see a few of the creative works (full plans):
http://www.fastepp.com/index.php/new...gn-competition

From the Fast+EPP AEDC Site:
Winner: "Grass In the Wind"

Second Place: "Subtle Perplexity"

Honourable Mention: "View Corridors"

Honourable Mention: "Richmond Oval"

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 1:29 AM
with glowing hearts

^ designs that deserve to be built. ...unlike...... . . . . . . . . .

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 2:11 AM

I couldn't recall if Translink has held Transportation Fair before. The one hold in the new Creekside Community Centre (Olympic Village) may worth check out.
http://www.translink.ca/en/Be-Part-o...tion-Fair.aspx

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 5:05 AM

took a pic today - around 3:30-4 at the Broadway station

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure