HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
oh my god.... see these people should get caught, and then punished to replace the entire bus AND stay in jail for at least 5 years

their parents should get more responsibility, because they are not over 18 year old.

Last edited by argon007; Nov 7, 2007 at 1:06 AM. Reason: add the quotation

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 1:18 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by argon007 View Post
their parents should get more responsibility, because they are not over 18 year old.
I'm sure the parents will be screwed enough since they owe 1.2 Million to TransLink for the trolley bus.

Us, taxpayers shouldn't pay for a bus that has been destroyed by someone else for satisfying thier own pleasure.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 2:57 AM

I'm not sure how you would even begin to rehabilitate people who enthusiastically committed an attack and arson like these girls did. They were raised wrong. Plain and simple. No "nurture vs nature" dialectic at all. I sure as hell hope the parents aren't shrugging this off or blaming their presumably lousy lot in life or society in general for their daughters' actions. The whole thing sickens me and I don't know how we fix it.

Are there any criminologists or criminology students reading this forum?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 3:06 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Mr.X here...criminologist, urban planner, urban designer, architect, accountant, lawyer, doctor, carnie, tooth fairy, actor, Olympic champion, janitor, police officer, fire fighter, an ambulance, and David Beckham

his solution: deport them to Iran...parents too.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 3:09 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I'm not sure how you would even begin to rehabilitate people who enthusiastically committed an attack and arson like these girls did. They were raised wrong. Plain and simple. No "nurture vs nature" dialectic at all. I sure as hell hope the parents aren't shrugging this off or blaming their presumably lousy lot in life or society in general for their daughters' actions. The whole thing sickens me and I don't know how we fix it.

I'm not surprised if their parents are doing this. One's children just show who their parents are. And call me racist and stereotypical, but some aboriginals just don't care about their chidlren. I'm not saying all, and I'm not saying this to offend anyone on this forum, but this issue is just pissing me off.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 2:09 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Latest News:

Kevin Falcon says they will model their system after London and Amsterdam. The SkyTrain system will have a card system or gate system for their stations. Gated systems: ridershop 30% increase, fare evasion dropped to 2% from 20%, safer in the restricted/controlled area of stations.

Private comopany will finance and install the gated system. More information will be presented next year.

Global News (will have more news after) [I'm typing this as the article is presented on global - I'm sorry if it sounds confusing/messy]

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 2:48 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Latest News:

Kevin Falcon says they will model their system after London and Amsterdam. The SkyTrain system will have a card system or gate system for their stations. Gated systems: ridershop 30% increase, fare evasion dropped to 2% from 20%, safer in the restricted/controlled area of stations.

Private comopany will finance and install the gated system. More information will be presented next year.

Global News (will have more news after) [I'm typing this as the article is presented on global - I'm sorry if it sounds confusing/messy]
that sounds incredible...even orgasmic. at least Falcon is doing ONE thing right...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:10 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Lmfao!!!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:11 AM

I saw the story on Global. Those figures are quoted as what Amsterdam experienced after implementing fare gates.

Sounds like the Province will pony up the cash - hopefully it'll also provide money for the increased operating costs of manning the stations (or maybe they'll just reassign existing staff - depends if the numbers jive).

The story did mention implementation next year, but if it's going to be privately supplied and operated, expect an RFP process that will take some time followed by contract negotiation and a lengthy construction process, which may in some cases require municipal approvals for station modifications. On top of that, Translink has indicated that it needs to thoroughly examine the various fare card technologies before barrelling forward - not sure how far along that process would be, although they have probably already started.

Hopefully they'll have enough space at the stations for more than say two turnstiles in each direction.

I think 2009 would be more realistic.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:22 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Hopefully they'll have enough space at the stations for more than say two turnstiles in each direction.
That would be an utter disaster...bottlenecks at the major stations, which do have quite narrow passages. Same goes with the Canada Line stations, especially Vancouver City Centre Station...there's only one narrow way in and out.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:25 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
That would be an utter disaster...bottlenecks at the major stations, which do have quite narrow passages. Same goes with the Canada Line stations, especially Vancouver City Centre Station...there's only one narrow way in and out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
That is what I have been worrying about too. Many of the Expo Line stations don't really have a large ticket concourse level and actually have no room for gates, for instance: 29th Ave, Joyce, Patterson, Edmonds, etc. There will be a need of some kind of reconstruction with these stations AND/OR the purchasing of small/slim gates like some of the ones in Korea =D

Many of the Canada Line stations are really worrying me too.... such as VCC (like Mr. X said), Olympic Village, and Broadway - City Hall.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:33 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Slim Turnstiles:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:34 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
That is what I have been worrying about too. Many of the Expo Line stations don't really have a large ticket concourse level and actually have no room for gates, for instance: 29th Ave, Joyce, Patterson, Edmonds, etc. There will be a need of some kind of reconstruction with these stations AND/OR the purchasing of small/slim gates, which i have not seen any on the market yet.

Many of the Canada Line stations are really worrying me too.... such as VCC (like Mr. X said), Olympic Village, and Broadway - City Hall.
A few years ago, Translink said it would require at least $100 million to install fare gates onto the Expo SkyTrain Line. Why? The stations weren't designed for fare gates and would require a rehaul.

However, the M-Line and Canada Line have fare gates in mind to their designs so it'll be quite cheaper to install.

And to see where I'm getting at, look at how narrow the passages are for the Canada Line:

Is it just me or did anyone count 4 turnstiles for the Vancouver City Centre diagram?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:58 AM

Most of the Canada Line plans just show maybe 4 gates total, plus a wider manual (or automatic?) gate for baby strollers and wheelchairs to get though.

Hopefully they won't be bi-directional gates - apparently those are irritating. My cousin who lived in NYC said that you have to stare down people coming from the opposite direction or you won't get through the gates - and if you hesitate after you pay your fare and the other person forces their way through, you can't get through and you've lost your fare.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 4:00 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Most of the Canada Line plans just show maybe 4 gates total, plus a wider manual (or automatic?) gate for baby strollers and wheelchairs to get though.

Hopefully they won't be bi-directional gates - apparently those are irritating. My cousin who lived in NYC said that you have to stare down people coming from the opposite direction or you won't get through the gates - and if you hesitate after you pay your fare and the other person forces their way through, you can't get through and you've lost your fare.
omg i hate those too...

But remember, the Canada Line is underground... if they ever need to expand. they can dig... though that will be $$$$$

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 4:07 AM

Sea Island shows 3 gates - but there's space for more on the other side of the elevator. I think most of the Canada Line stations can be configured to provide space. Even VCC can be reconfigured to cut back on the retail space and install gates at the wider area.

Aberdeen/Lansdowne style stations pose more of a problem - the gates are separate leading to each platform. If you go up the wrong escalator, you may have to pay again to exit and then go up the other side (but payment by distance would probably register as a zero distance travelled). BUT, you'd definitely have to pay again if you get off at Aberdeen after missing a stop at Bridgeport in order to make a U-turn. They need to ensure that you can switch platforms without exiting the system. That can be implemented by creating a passage from side to side along the back wall.

Last edited by officedweller; Nov 9, 2007 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 4:09 AM
with glowing hearts

couldn't they just knock down that wall in the Vancouver City Centre rendering? .....by relocating that expensive tunnel fan.

...and with regards to Aberdeen Station, extend the glass facade outwards.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 4:12 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
couldn't they just knock down that wall in the Vancouver City Centre rendering? .....by relocating that expensive tunnel fan.

...and with regards to Aberdeen Station, extend the glass facade outwards.
What about extending into Pacific Centre (though I doubt they will allow that)

The problem officedweller pointed out also applies to MANY M-Line stations.

The News Report is out: http://video.canada.com/Video.aspx?33850

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 4:18 AM
with glowing hearts

couldn't they open this area up so it acts more of as a passage way to the opposite direction platform, maybe with a glass divider in between:

note the red line, it's the glass wall

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 4:18 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
What about extending into Pacific Centre (though I doubt they will allow that)

The problem officedweller pointed out also applies to MANY M-Line stations.

The News Report is out: http://video.canada.com/Video.aspx?33850
it'd never happen...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure