HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

View Poll Results: Favourite Trendy Cultural Hotspot?
Westboro 1 3.23%
Hintonburg 2 6.45%
Chinatown 0 0%
Little Italy 5 16.13%
Byward Market 14 45.16%
New Edinburgh 1 3.23%
Sandy Hill 1 3.23%
The Glebe 5 16.13%
Old Ottawa South 1 3.23%
Centretown 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 3:40 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Favourite Trendy Hotspot?

I was wondering what some forum-goers favourite spots in town were. Are you a Westboro fan? Glebe goer? Byward Market? Hintonburg? Old Ottawa South? What is your favourite culture zone in our fair city?

Mine would have to be the Market.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 4:04 AM
Candidate Somerset Ward14

^^ You missed Centretown.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 1:43 PM
R2-D2's army of death

So I did. Oops.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 6:34 PM

You also forgot Orleans Town Centre!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 6:39 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
You also forgot Orleans Town Centre!
That is not a trendy hotspot, and I don't care what anyone says about that.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 6:46 PM

What do you mean? It's got a very hip and happening Farm Boy!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 6:49 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
What do you mean? It's got a very hip and happening Farm Boy!
Really?! Well, I'm gonna ditch the Market for that now!

*sarcasm off*

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 7:15 PM
Centretowner

No home sweet home? While would I go out when my place is the trendiest of all.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 12:15 AM
Language Profs hate me!

I got to say the glebe on Bank st. Its where I live when I go to Ottawa and its got it all, close to the canal, downtown and its the part that reminds me the most about Montreal!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 2:56 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Even though I live near the Market and that area is not devoid of trendoid places, I'll vote for Little Italy. Italian Week is one of the best things in the summer here, the new Heart & Crown on the ground floor of Adobe Place rocks, there is a comedy club, Pub Italia, tons of good food places, Preston Hardware, a waterfall store (!! only in Little Italy) and of course the Prescott. There's a lot more too - Vendemmia, the wine festival; late summer night parties when the Sala San Marco spills out, St. Anthony's soccer games, a couple of good bars that stay open after hours... Ottawa's first after-hours bar was just off Preston about 10 years ago. It's under the radar but that's what makes it one of my favourite.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 5:12 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Little Italy is a close second for me and Chinatown comes in third.

What I love about Little Italy is that you can get a football sized sandwich for less than five bucks at DiRienzo's and there are so many places to go for delicious treats and sweets. Also, the best ice-coffees in this city are in Little Italy...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 2:09 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Little Italy is a close second for me and Chinatown comes in third.

What I love about Little Italy is that you can get a football sized sandwich for less than five bucks at DiRienzo's and there are so many places to go for delicious treats and sweets. Also, the best ice-coffees in this city are in Little Italy...
DiRienzo's is one of my favourite spots, I can't believe I forgot to mention it. I like to think of it as Ottawa's equivalent to Satriale's Meats and you can't beat their sandwiches.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 2:50 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

For me, nothing beats an evening in the Market in the spring/summer. By far my favourite spot within the Market is the courtyard behind Social, Black Tomato, etc. I make a point to bring all my out of town guests to this spot. I only wish we had more such areas in this town.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 3:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
I'll vote for Little Italy. Italian Week is one of the best things in the summer here, Pub Italia, tons of good food places, late summer night parties when the Sala San Marco spills out, St. Anthony's soccer games,

You've got my vote with Little Italy...unfortunately, I couldn't be on Preston when Italy won the WC...I was in Paris with my cousin and his family....his wife is French and he is from England...needless to say it was a rather subdued affair. Pub Italia has a great beer selection and if you people watch in the summer from la patisserie gelateceria (sp?) at the crowd of older men smoking outside Sala San Marco it is quite a funny site...the men at the weddings don't want to be wearing a suit and they would rather stand outside away from their spouses and smoke and chat with their buddies.

I remember watching a Man U/Juve game in the bar at St. Anthony's and Man U won...I was the only one cheering.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 2:12 AM
I'm just joking.

At least one person has to vote for Sandy Hill!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 9:02 PM

Hintonburg/Wellington Village seems to be an area on an upswing for the better...there's only going to be more and more places to go here as time goes by...it's starting to become the downtown west of Centertown and the CBD (at least that's what some of our neighbours are saying, especially if they redevelop Tunney's). I love the vibe this area is starting to get, and I also like Little Italy too...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 9:17 PM
Highrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
^^ You missed Centretown.
Fun cannot be had in Centretown..it is verbotten...with fun comes density and when you have density you have mass chaos.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
For me, nothing beats an evening in the Market in the spring/summer. By far my favourite spot within the Market is the courtyard behind Social, Black Tomato, etc. I make a point to bring all my out of town guests to this spot. I only wish we had more such areas in this town.
I agree thats where I would always take people from out of town (I love mama grazzi). actually all the courtyards along sussex are really pretty unique. Thats one of the things I miss the most after moving from ottawa.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 1:24 PM
Can I HELP YOU??

Ok, I added Centretown to the poll .. wait a minute.. this thread is ages old!

For me, I'm going to have to say the Market. There's a few trendy restos (oops, restaurants... sorry, hdsprawl) on Aylmer's main street that attract a lot of visitors.. but this year might be a bit crappy as they are going to be ripping up the street.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 1:59 PM

Depends on if what you define as trendy. I think the Market still holds sway as the best spot for a variety of entertaining choices: food, wine, music, dancing.

I'd say the neighborhood with the most swing currently is Preston and that will continue along with redevelopment towards Hintonburg on Scott St especially when Lebreton and North-West Centertown reach full development swing.

Westborough is too proud of itself and doesn't have a kicking nightlife.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation