HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
Welcome to the board

We love Dundas and all of Hamilton (incl its suburbs) and it's developments. Unfortunately this City is always about moving one step foward, 2 steps back (I think it's our motto in Hamilton?), so some forumers get frustrated. Obviously.

So don't be afraid to share your opinion(s)! And don't be afraid to lay on a downtown bench somewhere... just check the seat b4 u do :s
And don't lay down on the Downtown King Street East Bus stop bench in front of subway - it is sometimes mistaken for a toilet.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 7:53 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by block43 View Post
And don't lay down on the Downtown King Street East Bus stop bench in front of subway - it is sometimes mistaken for a toilet.
LOL

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRM View Post
why do you have so much hate for people who have different lifestyles than you? Not everyone on the mountain is ignorant and not everyone in the downtown is like you.
Amen to that!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 10:55 PM
Closed account

I'm not entirely sure if you guys are wisecracking or serious, but have no fear...I have no 'hate' for anyone. Lol.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 11:41 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

welcome to the board Dundasguy.... all opinions here are (usually) respected. It's a very good forum for debates and varieties of opinions.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 12:31 AM

Welcome to the board!
This is an internet message board so sometimes people get carried away with the hyperbole, but all opinions are welcomed, you just have to jump in.

Btw, there is another forumer from Dundas (I don't know him personally) who's been on here since 2002, but he doesn't post that much.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 12:50 AM
Closed account

we really need to do a forum meet sometime.
It's so tough to read personalities/humour etc.... on an internet board.
I bet we'd all have a hoot together.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundasguy View Post
I have noticed this as well. In my short time on this board, I suspect that opinions of suburban dwellers' like me (Dundas) are not very welcome on this forum and are dismissed as small thinking.

You are more than welcome in my books. There is constant and senseless ranting about suburbs and suburbanites from some corners on here (and there are many other equally silly "us versus them" style polarizations), but not everyone is of that mindset.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
we really need to do a forum meet sometime.
It's so tough to read personalities/humour etc.... on an internet board.
I bet we'd all have a hoot together.
Either a hoot, or a brawl.......

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 12:59 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
You are more than welcome in my books. There is constant and senseless ranting about suburbs and suburbanites from some corners on here (and there are many other equally silly "us versus them" style polarizations), but not everyone is of that mindset.
There are also certain forumers (pretty much the one I'm quoting) who will try their hardest to derail Threads and give input only when they know it'll cause drama on the boards. His name is BCTed and you'll pretty much want to ignore his posts as they're usually (97%) irrelevant.

Now back to the project!

I noticed the sign for the firm was up. Anyone know of a move-in date? I noticed the little resto inside TH&B has added a patio as well. I guess they're REALLY looking forward to these new customers What a win-win!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 1:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post

you're describing yourself better than anyone.
Also, let's not forget which website we are all on here - SKYSCRAPERPAGE.
Not Bigboxpage or sprawlpage.

If you want to find a group of people who will gleefully join with you in singing a suburban kumbaya, I'm sure the website exists.
As for this site, the very name of the website makes it clear that you're joining in with urban-minded folks. I know it's shocking, but not everyone has warm, fuzzy feelings about the most expensive social program in the history of Western civilization.

so, of course anyone from any background is welcome, but stop trying to make it sound like those who prefer urbanism are such horrible people. You're on the wrong website for that.
There has to be a website around somewhere sponsored by the US government, oil industry and Fox news that sings never ending praises for sprawl.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 5:32 PM

Quote:
If you want to find a group of people who will gleefully join with you in singing a suburban kumbaya, I'm sure the website exists.
Most likely not. The main purpose of this board is to discuss buildings and construction; it just so happnes that those who take a personal interest in such things generally favour urbanist / new urbanist design principles. Coincidence?

Like most people here I hate suburbia with a passion. That's okay, because I don't have to live there, and I won't ever shit on anyone else who likes it. If everyone preferred downtown living, none of us would likely be able to afford our current homes. But where I will strongly object is where suburban values are imposed on the downtown.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 8:23 PM

I'll extend that and say suburban values are bad for everyone except for people at the top of large companies. ANY new developments, regardless of where they are have to stop following sprawl if they want to survive the next 10 years.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 9:05 PM

I had to add some more pictures. They put signs on the building.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 9:27 PM
Closed account

nice signs.

Again, I've gotta say I like this building. I just wish it was built on an empty lot instead of the beauty that used to be there.
Regardless, these are good jobs and another fresh investment in downtown Hamilton (BC Ted - you paying attention??).

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 9:52 PM

Now that's how you do signs.

Clean and simple with a nice splash of colour and the perfect size. They're easy to read and are noticeable without them being obtrusive and overbearing.

I really like how this building turned out.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
so, of course anyone from any background is welcome, but stop trying to make it sound like those who prefer urbanism are such horrible people. You're on the wrong website for that.
There has to be a website around somewhere sponsored by the US government, oil industry and Fox news that sings never ending praises for sprawl.
I am not trying to make urbanists sound like horrible people... I only have a vague idea of what even constitutes an urbanist. All people are fine by me in general.

I like skyscrapers. I like the 1 Hunter St. E. renovation. I also like Wal-Mart.

What I do not like is the fact that you repeatedly take jabs at Group X or Group Y out of the blue and then try to pass it off as humour when others object. What I also do not like is the harsh manner in which you express all of your contempt for Group X or Group Y.

I would have been perfectly happy to do nothing more than read this thread and look at the pictures had you not unnecessarily railed against one of those groups.

It seems to me that the moderators turn a blind eye toward your less than civil means of expression because you are either chummy with them or because they somehow see you as a source of information. I think it stinks.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 10:38 PM

x

Last edited by BCTed; Sep 13, 2008 at 2:03 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 11:01 PM
Closed account

ya ya...we got it the first time.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 12:57 AM

Some of this childishness has to stop, most of these four pages are less about 1 hunter and more about some off topic rant someone starts and bickering. I don't know how old some of you in here are but reading your posts about some of the things from the past makes me think you are much older than I am or at least old enough not to start this stupid "beef"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton