HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 11:45 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

[SA] Broadway Lofts | Information and Renderings

This is the abandoned Villaje del Rio development on Broadway near Jones Street. Ed Cross bought the development and as you can see gave it a new design and a new name.

Broadway Lofts

Thanks to Andres for including these images on his River North site.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 12:23 AM
constructor extrodinaire!

wow...did they add a couple floors to the top of it or is it just me?

Awesome project!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 12:29 AM
Meh

Wow, great looking project there. Any word on when this might start construction? So I take it this was a building that had been used for something else, maybe even another residential project and then revamped?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 1:03 AM

This is the current "Villaje del Rio" development (looks like 8 total buildings) that'll soon be the Broadway Lofts.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 1:41 AM
James

amazing, do you have any more renderings, it looks so good

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 3:08 AM
Endless Moments...

I likes very nice...

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 4:06 AM

Also remember, there will be a Hippo's (grocery) in this new development.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 4:30 AM

Thank God

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 4:46 AM

I really like this, and the building itself is very attractive. I hope there is much more like this on the way. Thanks for showing!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 5:27 AM

The Eighteen Hundred, Broadway Lofts and Pearl Brewery are really going to change that area of Lower Broadway so much.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 5:31 AM

Though I have to wonder what type of affect all the new residential housing will have on the parades during Fiesta.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Though I have to wonder what type of affect all the new residential housing will have on the parades during Fiesta.
It will give the attendees an oppurtunity to destroy new landscaping; they'll still leave litter behind. It's a nuisance new residents and businesses will have to put up with.

I doubt the city would consider moving the route. Maybe when property values go up...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 3:37 AM

this is much more than i would have asked for to come out of this development... it's modern, sleek. chic, and beautiful!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Stalled Broadway project sold for $4.77 million at foreclosure

Web Posted: 08/01/2006 08:32 PM CDT

Rachel Stone
Express-News Business Writer

A creditor foreclosed Tuesday on a half-completed project on Broadway near the Interstate 35-Interstate 37 interchange, clearing the way for progress on its hulking concrete building shells.

Colina del Rio LP, a partnership among San Antonio developers Ed Cross, Paul Fagan, David Adelman and other investors, bought the Villaje del Rio property at 1215 Broadway for $4.77 million.

Colina, which was the original developer's creditor, used its lien against the property as a bid.

Last week, a bankruptcy judge denied a move by George Geis, the original developer of the project, to stave off the foreclosure.

Villaje del Rio was conceived by Geis as a mixed-used development of apartments and office and retail space.

Colina is planning to move forward with that concept, although a new design may incorporate more housing than the originally planned 253 apartments, said Adelman, vice president of Cross & Co.
The partnership is hiring David Lake of Lake/Flato Architects to assess and redesign the project. Colina hopes to start up construction in four to six months, putting an end to a stagnancy that's lasted almost two years.

"I want to say for the record that we hope we finish the project and that it's something that George (Geis) will be pleased with," Cross said.

"We recognize how much time and effort George has put into it."

Already, some real estate professionals are excited about the new activity on the stalled project.

"That's all such a shot in the arm," said real estate agent Steve Thurlow, who called the half-completed project "horrifying."

"I think that's just been a horrible entrance into downtown," he said. "It makes you think that something's wrong with our downtown."

Geis started construction on Villaje del Rio in 2003, but stopped a year later amid a dispute with his general contractor. Geis traded lawsuits with the contractor and defaulted on a $26.7 million loan from Deutsche Bank last year.

In December, Geis also sued the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, which had insured the loan from Deutsche Bank and incurred the bad debt. In his suit, Geis claimed that HUD wrongfully took over management of the project.

He filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on the project in May in an attempt to prevent foreclosure.

Geis still has lawsuits pending against Colina, Deutsche Bank, Dallas-based general contractor Andres Holding Corp. and the project's bonding company.

And he's not done fighting.

Geis' bankruptcy lawyer, Eric J. Taube, said last week that Colina, which bought the debt from HUD, has no claim to the debt.

"We intend to vigorously pursue" the lawsuits, said Mark Taylor, Taube's partner. Taube was unavailable for comment Tuesday.

Colina's lawyers in the pending bankruptcy case declined to comment. It's likely that Colina will ask for the bankruptcy to be dismissed, said Rob Valdespino, a bankruptcy lawyer not affiliated with the case.

Geis was out of town Tuesday and didn't return a call to his office.

Though Geis did not attend the foreclosure auction on the Bexar County Courthouse steps, a friend did place a bid in a show of moral support.

Glenn Huddleston, who has attended several of Geis' bankruptcy hearings, had a losing bid Tuesday of $500,000.

"I know that George aspires for Broadway to be more than it is today. Clearly, this is a setback for him," Huddleston said.
this is some info i found on the land and it selling... it was once a HUD Project!

Last edited by satxgreen; Jan 4, 2008 at 4:07 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 3:56 AM
Meh

I meant to post this a few days ago, but I forgot. Better late than never I suppose, so here it is.

A pic I took from the Tower of the Americas back in July showing it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 7:29 AM

I love the design! I wonder what the rents will be?
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 5:06 AM

HDRC approved the projected today!

More information: Over 300 residential units. Office, retail, grocery store and a restaurant.

Quote:
Historic panel tentatively OKs 1221 Broadway project

Web Posted: 04/16/2008 11:51 PM CDT

Aïssatou Sidimé
Express-News Business Writer

After languishing unfinished for more than three years, the complex of concrete, brick and steel buildings at the junction of Interstate 35 and Interstate 37 took a step toward completion Wednesday when the San Antonio Historic and Design Review Commission gave tentative approval for a mixed-use development of offices and apartments there.

Colina Del Rio LP plans to strip, redesign and expand the complex, now known as 1221 Broadway. The developer hopes to add a fifth floor to the office building and a fifth floor to each of the 21 apartment buildings.

If the project gets final approval, the work would begin in July and should be completed by late fall, according to the developer.

The HDRC unanimously approved the project's concept but asked lead architect Mickey Conrad of OCO Architects Inc. to return with a more detailed master plan. Commissioners expressed concerns regarding the signage and its effect on pedestrian and vehicular traffic on Broadway.

"The good thing is that they came to us in the conceptual phase before they finished the designs and can make the adjustments easily," Commissioner Eva Esquivel said. "Overall, I'm excited about seeing it completed because living in the inner city is always nice."

The project, previously known as Villaje del Rio, has sat uncompleted since late 2004, when original developer George Geis sued his general contractor, according to San Antonio Express-News reports.

A convoluted chain of legal events followed and ended with Colina Del Rio buying the loan for the site. Geis and Colina Del Rio are still in litigation over the title claim.

The Colina Del Rio partnership includes Ed Cross and David Adelman, president and vice president, respectively, of Cross & Co.

Adelman said he expects the roughly $30 million project to spur other new apartment construction in the downtown area.

"We're feeling very happy," Adelman said. "We think it will appeal to young professionals, college students and empty nesters."

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 5:47 PM

Found this info on an other forum.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/historic/hdrc.asp

Select the "Agenda (complete text)" and see pages 149-170.

There are a lot of renderings.

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 3:29 AM

Demolition occurring on the site

I was downtown for Solarfest today and saw a small front end loader("bobcat") starting to push in one of the windows. When I came back by a couple of hours later, all the ground level wall along that section of Broadway were gone, strpping it down to just the concrete columns. I was in a hurry, and was so shocked how much work the bobcat had done, I didn't notice if they had already done that on the upper floors or the rest of the ground floor walls.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio