HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 2:23 PM
National Capital Region

Ottawa Convention Centre | 30.45m | 4-5 fl | Completed

Ottawa Congress Centre Expansion - Proposed
Demolition of exiting facilities and construction of new 3-storey complex; narrowing of Colonel By to accommodate the expansion
Developer: Federal/Provincial/Municipal Governments
Web: Not available
Rendering: (from the Congress Centre Website)

very nice addition to the downtown.... I like how they are narrowing the street and having a pedestrian oriented front

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jun 13, 2009 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 12:21 PM

Are thet still arguing over funding?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 2:35 PM
Centretowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
Are thet still arguing over funding?
Yes they are, and our Mayor suggested that probably they won't get the extra funding, so much for his swagger!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Yes they are, and our Mayor suggested that probably they won't get the extra funding, so much for his swagger!
I think reality hit him pretty hard when he entered that Mayor's office.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 4:45 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I think reality hit him pretty hard when he entered that Mayor's office.
Yeah, but he can still get some swagger in this city. Namely by helping to fund/build projects like this.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 12:36 AM
Centretowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Yeah, but he can still get some swagger in this city. Namely by helping to fund/build projects like this.
I love that proposal, especiall the underground network that accompagnies it. If I can save the walk in winter to Rideau Centre outside, I'll be so glad.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 2:48 AM
R2-D2's army of death

While I'm not sure about where this project stands on construction, I know for sure that they are telling people not to book the centre next year. I can only assume that it is a sign of progress and another step closer to a new Congress Centre.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 4:04 AM

Quote:
While I'm not sure about where this project stands on construction, I know for sure that they are telling people not to book the centre next year. I can only assume that it is a sign of progress and another step closer to a new Congress Centre.
I can second that notion. My fiance and I are starting to plan our wedding for 2009 and they told us not to bother. Obviously they still have high hopes that things may work out....who knows?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 6:12 PM
National Capital Region

report to Corporate Services and Economic Development Committee

click on the pictures for the high-res version

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 8:24 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Well it seems like they're moving along with it.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 1:26 PM

They sure are!

$40 million extra promised for Congress Centre overhaul

By Randall Denley
Ottawa Citizen

Thursday, November 15, 2007

The ambitious expansion of the Ottawa Congress Centre will take a huge step forward Thursday with federal and provincial announcements that will boost the two governments' contributions to the project to $100 million. Only an increased contribution from the City of Ottawa is required to make the project a go.

The federal government will announce that it is increasing its support for the project by $20 million for a total of $50 million, a senior government source told the Citizen.

"We have been competing with Red Deer and Moncton for too long," the source said. "We're the nation's capital and the fourth largest city. We need to compete with the big boys."

Environment Minister John Baird and Transportation Minister Lawrence Cannon are to make the announcement today with other area Conservative MPs.

This evening, Premier Dalton McGuinty will say that his government is also boosting its donation by $20 million to $50 million, a Liberal spokesman said.

"The province is in," the spokesman said. "We've picked the right people to do the job and we're serious about it."

The Congress Centre board is pushing a plan for a $159-million convention centre that will entirely replace the existing 24-year-old building and enable the city to host large conventions that are beyond the building's scope.

It would feature lots of glass and a ballroom that would frame a view of Parliament Hill.

The new centre could open by April 2011, but it is contingent on the federal, provincial and city governments increasing their financial commitments. The city is expected to contribute $40 million, which is $15 million more than originally planned.

Responding to the announcement, Mayor Larry O'Brien said "I applaud the government for this initiative. They are stepping up to the plate on a very important project for Ottawa."

The mayor cited more jobs in the hospitality industry, increased hotel room demand, more visitors, and hundreds of jobs in the construction of the centre as its key advantages.

"Clearly, we should dig deep into our city's resources and increase our funding by $15 million," Mr. O'Brien said. "We need this project."

Jim Durrell, who chairs the Congress Centre board, said of the announcements, "This is exciting news. It's a huge step forward for our city."

The effort to expand the Congress Centre has gone on for years, but with a new board and an experienced project team, the plan has taken on new life. If it goes ahead, the expansion will put Ottawa on a par with cities like Calgary, Edmonton and Quebec City. It will be able to handle events with 5,000 to 6,000 delegates, enough capacity for major national political conventions.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 1:27 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Good!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 1:37 PM
R2-D2's army of death

I saw this morning on Canada AM that both the Federal and Provincial governments are pledging $50M each to the Congress Centre project!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 3:25 PM
Centretowner

Quote:
I saw this morning on Canada AM that both the Federal and Provincial governments are pledging $50M each to the Congress Centre project!
Yes! That's great news!!!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 8:56 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Not enough. The feds and province are swimming in surpluses while the city is broke. I hate to rain on the parade but I still don't see how the city is going to come up with its $40 million (up from $25 million) contribution.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 9:31 PM

Why not put some condos on top of this baby? Think of the views! $1 million each!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 9:57 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Not enough. The feds and province are swimming in surpluses while the city is broke. I hate to rain on the parade but I still don't see how the city is going to come up with its $40 million (up from $25 million) contribution.
Actually, I believe that Scary Larry made a comment in today's paper of adding $15M to the project from the city.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Actually, I believe that Scary Larry made a comment in today's paper of adding $15M to the project from the city.
..and we all know that O'Brien's word is as good as (Fool's) gold.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:47 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
..and we all know that O'Brien's word is as good as (Fool's) gold.

True, but here's hoping...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 11:29 PM
Awesome!

It's about time that the Conservatives are doing something good for the City core.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa