TIFF to unveil its new Lightbox building, Tim Burton exhibit this fall
Art by Tim Burton, which will be included in an exhibition at the Toronto International Film Festival's new headquarters this fall.
By Mary Vallis May 14, 2010 – 3:51 pm
The Toronto International Film Festival yesterday announced that its new headquarters — a boxy, five-storey building featuring five theatres — will open on Sept. 12, in the midst of this year’s festivities.
A collection of drawings, sculptures and videos by filmmaker Tim Burton will be one of the first exhibits featured at the Toronto International Film Festival.
The TIFF Bell Lightbox, now under construction at in downtown Toronto’s theatre district, will also feature a three-storey public atrium, a bistro, restaurant, lounge, two galleries, three learning studios, staff offices and more.
The Burton collection, comprised of more than 700 items, was organized by the Museum of Modern Art in New York. While the work is on display, film lovers can also attend limited runs of Mr. Burton’s films or attend free family activities and lectures.
“Connecting a lot dots is going to be, for me, the most amazing thing,” Piers Handling, director and CEO of TIFF, said from Cannes yesterday. “It’s to have not just in-cinema experiences, where people just go and see a movie. It’s to actually broaden that.”
The TIFF Bell Lightbox was designed by KPMB, a Toronto-based architectural firm. The cinemas range from 80 seats to 550 seats and are designed as “distinct architectural volumes — a box within a box,” TIFF says.
Most of the building’s first floor will be in operation by the grand opening on first Sunday in Toronto’s annual film festival, including one theatre and a gallery. Other part of the building may also be open, depending on the summer construction schedule.
The project has been in the works for a decade. TIFF has raised 90% of the $196-million needed to finance the project. A few weeks, ago, TIFF hired John Tory — chair of the Toronto City Summit Alliance, broadcaster with Newstalk 1010 and former leader of the provincial Progressive Conservatives — to help raise the remaining 10%.
“As we get closer to completion, we’re running through the people on hard hat tours and they’re getting really excited about it,” Mr. Handling said.
Read more: http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/05...#ixzz0nx5pqWsG
Another article on TIFF