HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:52 PM
J_Murphy's Avatar
J_Murphy J_Murphy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 855
[St. John's] Restaurant Thread

Thought I would create this to take the restaurant discussion out of the Retail thread. Please post any rumours or reviews of any restaurants in this thread.

Anyways, a few new restaurants to mention:

1. The old Magnum and Steins is now called 'Saltwater'.
2. The old Cellar is now called 'St. John's Chophouse'.
3. There is a new place called 'The Reluctant Chef' next to Basho.
4. 'The Club' is now open in the former Peter Belbins location on Duckworth.

I haven't tried any of these yet but really hoping to try out 'The Club' in the next little while. Really sounds like my kind of place (Steak and Beer).


Last edited by J_Murphy; Jan 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:54 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 17,441
I tried Relish recently, on Waldegrave Street. Gourmet burger joint for people who don't know. I was hoping it would be something like Unburger in Winnipeg, which (unfortunately, still) makes the best burger I have ever had in my life.

That said, Relish is AMAZING. Easily the best burger I've ever had in St. John's. And so many interesting and cool toppings to choose from. Really makes it a new experience.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:57 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I tried Relish recently, on Waldegrave Street. Gourmet burger joint for people who don't know. I was hoping it would be something like Unburger in Winnipeg, which (unfortunately, still) makes the best burger I have ever had in my life.

That said, Relish is AMAZING. Easily the best burger I've ever had in St. John's. And so many interesting and cool toppings to choose from. Really makes it a new experience.
I also heard (I believe someone else posted here) that The Works gourmet burger will be setting up shop here...not sure if it's a rumor or fact. I've had it a couple of times in Ottawa and I loved it! Here's a link to their website:

http://www.worksburger.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 5:02 PM
J_Murphy's Avatar
J_Murphy J_Murphy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I also heard (I believe someone else posted here) that The Works gourmet burger will be setting up shop here...not sure if it's a rumor or fact. I've had it a couple of times in Ottawa and I loved it! Here's a link to their website:

http://www.worksburger.com/
Yes, this is true. I posted that in the retail thread a few weeks back. The link below confirms that it is coming soon.

http://www.worksburger.com/Locations...3/Default.aspx
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 5:05 PM
J.A.I.L.'s Avatar
J.A.I.L. J.A.I.L. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I also heard (I believe someone else posted here) that The Works gourmet burger will be setting up shop here...not sure if it's a rumor or fact. I've had it a couple of times in Ottawa and I loved it! Here's a link to their website:

http://www.worksburger.com/
Oh I hope! I also tried in Ottawa a few times it was excellent! Best burger i have had! It will defiantly give relish a run for its money!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:09 PM
Copes's Avatar
Copes Copes is offline
Millennial Ascendancy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Thought I would create this to take the restaurant discussion out of the Retail thread. Please post any rumours or reviews of any restaurants in this thread.

Anyways, a few new restaurants to mention:

1. The old Magnum and Steins is now called 'Saltwater'.
2. The old Cellar is now called 'St. John's Chophouse'.
3. There is a new place called 'The Reluctant Chef' next to Basho.
4. 'The Club' is now open in the former Peter Belbins location on Duckworth.

I haven't tried any of these yet but really hoping to try out 'The Club' in the next little while. Really sounds like my kind of place (Steak and Beer).

I took my girlfriend to The Club for her birthday on one of the first nights it opened. The food was good, the beer was good, but what really stood out for me was the atmosphere. It's the kind of place I'd love to go and have a few pints with the boys (as a matter of fact, now that I think about it, it'd be a fantastic spot to have the SSP Forum Meet).

You feel like you're in a pub, but the food is Blue on Water / Gypsy / Portobellos quality. I wouldn't say that it blew my mind anymore than any of those places did, but the decor was fantastic and I really enjoyed the darker, pubish atmosphere.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:22 PM
J_Murphy's Avatar
J_Murphy J_Murphy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
I took my girlfriend to The Club for her birthday on one of the first nights it opened. The food was good, the beer was good, but what really stood out for me was the atmosphere. It's the kind of place I'd love to go and have a few pints with the boys (as a matter of fact, now that I think about it, it'd be a fantastic spot to have the SSP Forum Meet).

You feel like you're in a pub, but the food is Blue on Water / Gypsy / Portobellos quality. I wouldn't say that it blew my mind anymore than any of those places did, but the decor was fantastic and I really enjoyed the darker, pubish atmosphere.
Awesome!

And for anyone who doesn't know, this restaurant is run by the same owner/chef of Aqua (Mark McCrowe).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 7:33 PM
Ayreonaut's Avatar
Ayreonaut Ayreonaut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB - Home | St. John's, NL - School
Posts: 11,593
I have so many restaurants on my list of places to try here, but it's tough to find time/money as my friends are all students in their early 20s (as am I). I've only been to Shalimar, International Flavours, The Sprout, and many of the pizza and fish & chip places. I'd love to try India Gate, J Korean, Basho, and Afghan this semester as well. If I'm feeling like steak, ribs, or any traditional North American foods, really, I'd just as soon cook it myself than go out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 7:33 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 17,441
It'd be cool to have regular forum meets, new restaurant each time.

Also: http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3si1tk/
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 7:44 PM
Ayreonaut's Avatar
Ayreonaut Ayreonaut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB - Home | St. John's, NL - School
Posts: 11,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
That was me last semester, but I'm good at the moment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 4:13 AM
AllBlack AllBlack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 265
We used to enjoy Peter Belbin's. Excellent steaks and even better bread pudding dessert. Glad to hear we have a couple new steak houses open, I'll have to try them out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 4:58 PM
MrChills's Avatar
MrChills MrChills is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 518
Speaking of Burgers someone mentioned to me that Five Guys will be coming to St. John's in the future http://fiveguys.ca/ - hands down the best burger and fries in my mind, and half the price of most of the "high end" burger joints out there.
__________________
Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind
http://twitter.com/thefeltham
http://reverbnation.com/overlay
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 5:01 PM
MrChills's Avatar
MrChills MrChills is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 518
One thing that kills me about St. John's is pizza.

We seriously have the worst pizza in Canada. Venice had a thin crust that I liked, but other than that everyone serves a box of dough, which I guess people most like as it seems be the the same recipe more or less everywhere. However, I like pizza for the ingredients and taste of sauce, if I wanted to eat a loaf of bread.. I would.
__________________
Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind
http://twitter.com/thefeltham
http://reverbnation.com/overlay
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 5:03 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 17,441


True enough.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 5:09 PM
jeddy1989's Avatar
jeddy1989 jeddy1989 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChills View Post
Speaking of Burgers someone mentioned to me that Five Guys will be coming to St. John's in the future http://fiveguys.ca/ - hands down the best burger and fries in my mind, and half the price of most of the "high end" burger joints out there.
wow I've heard a lot about them from my sister who travels to the US. She LOVES them and goes out of her way to eat there whenever in a city with one. Now with that and Target, just add H&M and forever 21 and there would be many happy shoppers
__________________
-Where Once They Stood-
-We Stand-
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 9:29 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChills View Post
Speaking of Burgers someone mentioned to me that Five Guys will be coming to St. John's in the future http://fiveguys.ca/ - hands down the best burger and fries in my mind, and half the price of most of the "high end" burger joints out there.
My father said this is the best place ever. He's been to them a few times in Calgary (I think). That and Joey's Only could please him for years
__________________
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof."
-Christopher Hitchens
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 9:55 PM
Ayreonaut's Avatar
Ayreonaut Ayreonaut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB - Home | St. John's, NL - School
Posts: 11,593
If Five Guys does come to town, I sure hope it's downtown (unlikely). It's my favourite chain burger, but I don't see myself going out to some power centre to spend $13 for lunch. Then again, they're pretty big places, so I don't know where in the core one would fit.

Edit: Just realized that I'm only without a car here for this semester, so I suppose I'd drive out for a burger every once in a while.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 12:04 AM
SparkDT's Avatar
SparkDT SparkDT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChills View Post
One thing that kills me about St. John's is pizza.

We seriously have the worst pizza in Canada. Venice had a thin crust that I liked, but other than that everyone serves a box of dough, which I guess people most like as it seems be the the same recipe more or less everywhere. However, I like pizza for the ingredients and taste of sauce, if I wanted to eat a loaf of bread.. I would.
I'd definitely like to see more places to get pizza around here. It's something I don't get to have very often.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 2:53 AM
J_Murphy's Avatar
J_Murphy J_Murphy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
I have so many restaurants on my list of places to try here, but it's tough to find time/money as my friends are all students in their early 20s (as am I). I've only been to Shalimar, International Flavours, The Sprout, and many of the pizza and fish & chip places. I'd love to try India Gate, J Korean, Basho, and Afghan this semester as well. If I'm feeling like steak, ribs, or any traditional North American foods, really, I'd just as soon cook it myself than go out.
Afghan restaurant is very affordable. The take out is similar to what you get at International Flavours and about the same price. Well, at least it was the last time I was there which was maybe a year ago now.
__________________
"Ignorance may be bliss for the ignorant, but for the rest of us it's a right fucking pain in the arse"
-Ricky Gervais
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 12:04 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 17,441
I want to try all of the different restaurants as well. Matty and I were doing that for a while but then we realized we were kicking ourselves right in the finances and slowed down on eating at anything classier than a Wendy's.

The only things I can honestly say I've tried to death and simply do not like, in any form, are sushi and marmalade. I even had teriyaki chicken sushi and still THAT had the same disgusting taste as all the rest. I think it must be the rice or the vinegar I hate... I can't tell. But it's something that's common in all sushi I've ever tried.

Also, forgot one: cilantro. I have whatever gene that is that makes it taste like soap. And I hate that people use it since, apparently, for people who can taste it properly, it's not that different from basil. Just use basil. Stop ruining food.

Some curries I can't eat because of the cilantro.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:25 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.