HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:16 PM

Arrow UBC Winter Sports Centre | Completed

UBC Winter Sports Centre

The University of British Columbia's Thunderbird Winter Sports Centre will be a year-round sport and recreational facility. The Centre will be complete in 2008 and will serve as a Vancouver 2010 Olympic ice hockey venue for men's and women's hockey and will subsequently be a venue for the 2010 Paralympic Games.

The new UBC Winter Sports Centre will contain three principal arenas: Arena A is a regional mid-sized spectator facility which includes a 5,500 permanent seat ice arena (with configurable space to accommodate up to 7,000 seats in either NHL or Olympic ice configurations); Arenas B and C comprise a more community-focused recreational facility incorporating a refurbished 980 seat NHL sized rink and a new 200 seat Olympic ice surface.

The Centre is being designed to LEED Silver requirements and will incorporate sustainable features to minimize environmental impact.

Venue Description
UBC is a sprawling, ocean-side university campus on Vancouver’s west side, well served by public transport. Ice Hockey and Ice Sledge Hockey will be hosted at the UBC Winter Sports Centre, with Ice Hockey also taking place at General Motors Place.

Construction Update
Construction began in April 2006 on this project. It includes refurbishing the existing competition arena and the construction of two new rinks. One will be used in training, and the other will be a new 7,000-seat competition facility. To date, the renovation to the existing Father Bauer rink and the construction of the new practice rink building are complete and have been handed over to UBC in preparation for their summer hockey schools. The foundations for the new main arena are complete and the structural steel roof is being erected. The main arena is on schedule for completion by summer 2008.

Post-Games Use
Following the Games, the venue will become a recreational and high-performance multi-sport legacy facility. The new training arena will be easily convertible to ice sledge hockey training and competition.

CLIENT: UBC Properties Trust
CONSULTANT: Kasian Kennedy Architect
CONTRACT TYPE: Design-Build / Design Assist
VALUE: $43,500,000
SIZE: 150,600 sq. ft.
DURATION: 22 months
CONSTRUCTION START: April 2006
CONSTRUCTION END: August 2008

ARENA A: 7,000-seats (5,500 permanent)
ARENA B: 980-seats
ARENA C: 200-seats

OLYMPIC EVENTS: Women's ice hockey, Men's ice hockey, Men's Paralympic ice sledge hockey

Main entrance

7,000-seat Arena A

PREVIOUS DESIGNS

Last edited by mr.x; Feb 17, 2008 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:19 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Anyone got construction pics? =D

And is there a way you can like "copy" threads so that it can show in different sub-forums: so like this thread can be in both Downtown City of Van and 2010 olympic sub-forums. =P

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:20 PM

I pass by the centre everyday on my way to UBC. The pre-fabricated concrete outer wall and roof has been completed for quite some time, and the glass/wood facade at the two entrances were recently finished. I'll try to get some pictures soon.

Meanwhile, a few very outdated construction pictures from mid-2007:

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the thread mr.x2.

I'll look forward to seeing it when it is done. It isn't really doing anything for me quite yet.

In a way I like that the venues do not look flashy or gaudy as flash-in-the-pan architecture would yield. I think that they will age well and the decision to make them a bit more dour and utilitarian helps them look solid and permanent. It is the difference between temporary and permanence.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:38 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Thanks for the thread mr.x2.

I'll look forward to seeing it when it is done. It isn't really doing anything for me quite yet.

In a way I like that the venues do not look flashy or gaudy as flash-in-the-pan architecture would yield. I think that they will age well and the decision to make them a bit more dour and utilitarian helps them look solid and permanent. It is the difference between temporary and permanence.
Exactly, our venues are practical and they blend well (or look well) in its community surroundings. The one thing about the Beijing Olympics is that I don't really like their venues (although some do look spectacular).

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:41 PM

It looks great, and will be a great facility. I'm guessing the rinks will be available for public use? Ice is definitely at a bit of a shortage.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:43 PM

^ imo, China overdoes everything. Like Dubai, everything has to be "big" and "architectually spectacular". It's too much sensory for the eyes.

Not to mention, the way they've promoted their Games...it's way too much. It's always "in-your-face"....i wouldn't be surprised if some Chinese are over fatigued.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
It looks great, and will be a great facility. I'm guessing the rinks will be available for public use? Ice is definitely at a bit of a shortage.
Yup, the rinks will definitely be available for public use when it opens. Well actually, Arena B and C are already opened. Arena B is part of the old complex and was renovated. Arena C is brand new. And Arena A, the Olympic stadium venue, is still under construction. It's a shame that the old complex had four arenas, while this new complex has three....a loss of one arena while the region severely lacks ice space.

It's interesting to point out that the original colours for the seats were yellow.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 2:24 AM

Some pictures I took today:

Arena A

Arena B

Arena C - figure skaters practising.

Last edited by mr.x; Feb 29, 2008 at 6:39 AM.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 3:05 AM
Vancouver Moderator

wow.... looks really good now. Thanks Mr. X.

Shouldn't put it on this topic but a reminder that there is the BCYL meet up with Kevin Facon tmr. I'm going and I'm going to stop by the Winter Sports Center to see the construction myself.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 3:23 AM

Nice. Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 8:55 AM

The exterior of the main arena is now completely painted.....the main entrance and greenery is also basically finished.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 12:56 AM

Olympic hockey venue at UBC opens
7,500-seat venue completed ahead of schedule

Jeff Lee, Vancouver Sun
Published: Monday, July 07, 2008

VANCOUVER - Vancouver's Olympic organizers have moved one venue closer to completion of their aggressive construction schedule with the opening of the hockey complex at the University of British Columbia.

On Monday the Vancouver Organizing Committee used the backdrop of a pickup game of ball hockey with Premier Gordon Campbell, Vanoc CEO John Furlong dozens of children and a pair of Olympic and Paralympic athletes to show off the three-rink Thunderbird Winter Sports Centre.

The facility, which replaced an aging four-rink facility, will host Paralympic sledge hockey as well as most of the women's hockey and some of the men's hockey games for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Built at a cost of $48.7 million, most of it from Vanoc, the facility was completed four months ahead of schedule. With its completion, only two major venues - Richmond's speed skating oval and Vancouver's Hillcrest curling venue- are yet to be finished. Vanoc says both will be done by the fall.

Two other practice arenas at Trout Lake and Killarney, won't be finished until later in 2009, according to Dan Doyle, Vanoc's executive vice-president of construction.

Campbell and the Four Host First Nations Secretariat also used Monday's event to unveil a plan to install aboriginal art in all 15 Olympic venues in 2010.

Vanoc and FHFN, which represents the four Coast Salish communities on whose traditional territory the Games will be held, issued a call for expressions of interest from First Nations, Metis and Inuit artists.

At the event the province displayed two doors made by Squamish artist Aaron Nelson-Moody for the B.C.-Canada Place pavilion at the 2006 Turin Winter Games. The doors have been in storage ever since, and only now have made a public reappearance. The province plans to install them in a pavilion it is building at Robson Square for the 2010 Games.

jefflee@png.canwest.com

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 1:04 AM
David

nothing special... looks like something you'd see in an interior town

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 1:10 AM

^ unfortunately, they scaled back on the design several times to keep on budget.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 2:21 AM

I was at today's press event... it looks pretty good. Nothing special, but an efficient design. Completely appropriate for it's use as a facility for some of the less "prestigious" events.

Note that there is no flooring installed in the concourse area of yet (it's just dirty concrete), no concessions, a portion of the seating (which will be removable) hasn't been installed and no scoreboard yet.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 4:26 AM

Some pics that are two months old, no pics of the main arena's interior yet:

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 4:38 AM
Registered Luser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
^ unfortunately, they scaled back on the design several times to keep on budget.
What was changed?

And thanks for the update.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clooless View Post
What was changed?

And thanks for the update.
This was the original design:

With rising construction material and labour costs, as well as the fact they had to dig through 20-feet of permafrost as the old rink had been leaking coolant, they had to cut back on the design. As a result, the rink is also deeper than originally planned.

Not much architecturally, but still heaps and heaps better than Salt Lake 2002's secondary ice hockey facility:

Also notice the columns that obstruct the view, terrible:

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 5:13 PM
+

In comparison with Beijing's Olympic venues, Vancouver's are an utter disgrace.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver