HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 10:44 PM

MONTREAL | Wilder Building / Grands Ballets Canadiens | 11 FLOORS

Construction har started on this project which will see the 1918 Wilder building (11 storey) be restaured and transformed into a contemporary project housing the Grand Ballets Canadiens and other dance companies. The building will also house the offices of Quebec's cultural minister.

It will boast one of the largest video screen in the world, facing the Place des Festivals.

L'édifice Wilder, situé aux 1433 et 1451, rue de Bleury, inoccupé depuis maintenant 10 ans, subira une importante rénovation et deviendra un pôle artistique réunissant sous un même toit de nombreuses organisations culturelles. Les travaux de restauration de l'édifice construit en 1918 complèteront l'harmonie de l'îlot Balmoral tout en lui ajoutant une touche contemporaine.

Situé devant le cinéma Impérial, le Wilder a été construit en 1918. L'immeuble de 11 étages appartient à la Société immobilière du Québec. Il a été nommé en l'honneur de son premier propriétaire, H. A. Wilder, un fabricant et commerçant de meubles montréalais.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:57 AM
Give us a kiss

imo the most exciting project in the city right now, if only because it has the least chance of turning out another cheesy looking cheaply clad residential meh-rise.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:13 AM
High above the Gold Coast

Is that fluorescent yellow glass? That's pretty awesome if it turns out bright like that. Especially against the black facades.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:25 AM

The 2nd pic is an earlier render, I think the new version is a huge improvement, it should really add to the area replacing the big black shroud that currently covers the building. The video screen is going to be epic...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 4:24 PM
The good old days are now

I haven't been in the area in a while, but I believe work is getting under way. Or am I mistaken?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 4:40 PM
Language Profs hate me!

I had an opportunity to take a good look inside a couple months ago, and it was empty and quiet. Unless something drastic happened since June, this project hasn't budged.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 7:24 PM

I have seen some of the more recent renderings of this projects, and it is really impressive. There is some Frank Gehry style glasswork happening too, between the wilder and the other building - these rendering does not show it, but is really nice.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 6:54 PM

Today's pics. There is a crane now, and I can't wait for this building to be completed. It's the worst eyesore EVER.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 7:15 PM
Language Profs hate me!

I noticed they completely tore off the 11th floor, I wonder why.

And This part of town is desperately unappealing. I imagine that with the NFB building next door, come 3 years, this area will be nice and dynamic. I also hope they build a tower on top of the Imperial theatre, I hear the owners are exploring aerial exploitation, or whatever you call it.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 5:56 PM

Not too much new to report, except they covered all the openings for winter construction - not worth a picture. However, going east on Ste-Catherine, they are working on closing two notorious craters with a CLSC, and a new condo development (12 floors). This is going to improve the area a lot - see the two pics.

The next step is really to finally develop the southwestern corner of St-Laurent/Ste-Catherine; too bad they have to go around Café Cléopâtre instead of starting with a clean space.

Last edited by EliteMTL; Dec 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development