update from Peter Hume's website
January 2009 Update
I am pleased to advise you that Playfair Residents Limited has withdrawn their zoning application. They have agreed that any new development on the Playfair property will have to respect the existing zoning on the site. [14 storeys]
I understand that the owner will soon be bringing forward a site plan application that will propose a development that respects the existing zoning.
The zoning outlines what is permissible to build on a particular site and a site plan details how the site will be developed. A site plan deals with all of fine details of a development such as access, grading, loading zones, landscaping, locations of parking, urban design and other detail features of any proposed development.
One of the most important parts of a site plan is the urban design aspect. As I am sure you are aware both the City Planners and the local community felt that the design of both the tower and the town homes, in the former proposal, did not integrate, from a design standpoint, with the adjacent community. City planning staff will be reviewing any proposed site plan to ensure that the design integrates well with the existing community.
In my last update to you I outlined a consensus position with myself, city staff and the local community. A site plan is where we implement the consensus position. Therefore, any new site plan will have to contain the following:
- Underground resident parking.
- Limited traffic access off of Playfair Drive by segmenting the garage and reducing parking access off of Playfair.
- Maximize visitor parking spots.
- Provision of adequate parking for residents similar to parking at the condo at 1705 Playfair Drive.
- Provision of fencing, appropriate to the site to delineate Carleton Condominium Corporation # 500 property from the rest of the site.
- Construction of a new entrance for Carleton Condominium Corporation # 500 off of Playfair Drive that provides a more appropriate and distinctive entrance for Carleton Condominium Corporation # 500.
Once we have received a site plan we will be meeting with the individuals and groups representing those most closely affected by the application to develop a consensus position. They include NoRezone, the Board of Directors of the Carleton Condominium Corporation (CCC) #500, the Board of Directors of Rosewood Estates and Protect Vista on the Park.