HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > América Latina > Argentina

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 7:13 PM

TRAVELLERS GUIDE - Everything you need about travelling in Argentina

Hi -

Just wondering if any locals could let me know when they'd recommend visiting. I'd like to spend some time in Buenos Aires, obviously, but also spend some time touring the country to the south. I would assume that June-August can be quite cold in much of the country, but how late in the year does one need to wait to expect sun and comfortable temperatures in most of the lower altitude parts of the country?

Thanks.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 8:16 PM
BANNED

well, that would be now: April - March. Its not to dam hot (100f) niether to cold (20f)......and also by this time It doesnt rain that much.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomboyba View Post
well, that would be now: April - March. Its not to dam hot (100f) niether to cold (20f)......and also by this time It doesnt rain that much.
Well I had assumed as much -- but given that I can't get up and go tomorrow, would the fall (September/October) be similar? I also know that September is the wine harvest so theoretically it would be a good time to visit some wineries and enjoy a good Malbec or six.

I'd like to spend a few days in Buenos Aires and then travel the country to whatever regions people recommend.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 1:46 PM
BANNED

yeap, September would be spring here (south hemisphere)....and yes, that's an excelent time to visit us.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 8:34 PM

Ok, well I'm back again. Now looking at late October for a trip of 10-14 days.

Thinking I'd like to do some combination of the following:

- Buenos Aires for ~4 days (this one definitely)

- Mendoza (to tour a winery or 3... I love wine)

- Bariloche (will be after ski season, but I'm sure there's plenty to do in spring/summer also)

- Ushuaia (assume it's cold but not freezing by then)

- Punta del Este (in Uruguay, but I've heard ferry across the Rio de la Plata is easy)

- Iguazu Falls (perhaps too warm by this time of year?)

Obviously can't visit all of these things, but anyone have thoughts on which are most worth doing, ease of transport, whether this is a good time of year to visit, general tips, etc? I've got a friend moving from New York to BA in July, so hopefully by the time I go he'll be in the know, but will need to plan a trip before that.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 11:23 PM

here's everything you need to know about the ferries to uruguay:Buquebus
"A couple of years ago, a couple of geniuses put on something called Woodstock Festival. It was a tragedy. Groups recognised that they could go into larger cattle markets, play less time and make more dollars. What they've done is to destroy the rock industry."- Bill Graham

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 9:38 PM

Really interesting

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 2:12 PM
FUS RO DAH!

well, if visiting Punta Del Este, I would suggest also visiting Montevideo.
Just dont go to Argentina in the summer. Half of its population will be in brazilian beaches, the other half will be in Mar Del Plata. The rest will be empty

just remember that many of these locations you plan to visit are QUITE FAR from each other.

I measured in GoogleEarth... by following your itinerary in that same sequence of cities, you would travel 7,100 km just inside Argentina (and a bit of Uruguay too)

Last edited by Trantor; Jun 6, 2008 at 2:23 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 4:50 AM

Buenos Aires is an year around city, only in January it's kinda empty, and in February just too hot.
If you wanna ski in the Andes then Winter's fine, but otherwise it's nice in different ways all year round. Just don't visit the north of the country (like Iguazu falls) during the summer unless you're looking for heat stroke.

If you come to B.A. you should take a short trip to Colonia or Montevideo. Punta del Este is also a must see, the pearl of the atlantic, the exception of latin america. If you go to Punta on summer you'lll see high prices, lots of bikinis and crowded streets. If you go on mid station (winter's too cold) you'll see one of the most beautiful cities on earth, a perfect combination of urbanism and nature.
My sketchup city is based off Punta del Este's terrain, if you wanna take a look.
Definitely come to Argentina, you'll get a fantastic exchange rate for your dollar, fine meat, and a lots of surprises.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 10:27 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalextropy View Post
Punta del Este is also a must see, the pearl of the atlantic, the exception of latin america.
what the hell "the exception of latin america" is supposed to mean?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
what the hell "the exception of latin america" is supposed to mean?
that means he hasn't been to Rio
"A couple of years ago, a couple of geniuses put on something called Woodstock Festival. It was a tragedy. Groups recognised that they could go into larger cattle markets, play less time and make more dollars. What they've done is to destroy the rock industry."- Bill Graham

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 8:19 AM

No, unfortunately I haven't been to Rio, and I don't know why that city would be the exception of Latin America.

My point is that Punta del Este, and Colonia are the SAFEST populated places in Latin America, and Punta del Este in particular is quiet a special city.

Trantor neither of us are Uruguayans so... what's the resentment about? You think I'm a snobb for liking Punta? Well you'd be surprised, if you ever come to B.A. I'll be glad to show you what kind of guy I am along with the city which I know you know.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 1:31 PM
FUS RO DAH!

the entire Uruguay is safe.

you still havent explained why you think Punta Del Este is an "exception" in Latin America. For safety reasons? There are many small safe cities even in Brazil. And Punta is not really big.

For being very rich? There are similar coastal cities in Brazil for mega rich people, where Ferraris are more common than VWs. Im sure there might be a few in Argentina and Chile too.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 2:56 AM

Not all of Uruguay is safe, I don't think you'd feel too safe in Canelones, or Cerro in Montevideo.

Punta del Este is quiet a special city, I have no doubt that Brasil is far richer, prosperous and grandious than any other country in Latin America, but that's not the point.

Punta is the only place where a Mercedes can ride into a Horse-cart, and there would be no resentment between the two. It's not only safe, there is no potentiallity for it being unsafe.

YEah there are safe places in Argentina, like Tierra del Fuego, but it's not the same thing.
I might not be the snobb, but I understand that when the international jet sets doesn't go to Miami or St Moritz, they go to Punta del ESte. Just last January I saw Paul Allen's megayatch "Octopus", while hearing Naomi Campbell was on the beach at Chihuahua. And still you can go to have dinner in Maldonado at a more than reasonable price. It's certainly a unique place.

Why is it the exception? Well, no trash on the streets, no misery, no need for fences or to lock your door, no social resentment. I'm sure there must be a couple of similar towns in the southern cone but not nearly as dense popular or attractive as Punta del Este.

About your mega-rich resorts in Brasil: How many layers of barbed wire fences do they require?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 3:01 AM

There's another exception: land value has been exploding with no burst of the bubble in sight. It's not only an exception, it's a mistery.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 3:03 AM

MY theory: since both Argentina and Brasil are rich but heavilly regulated kleptocracies, and since Uruguay has a standard of Banking Privacy that would ashame Switzerland, much of these countries wealth is drained to Uruguay - for protection.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 7:33 PM

OK, this is what makes Punta the exception of Latin America:
in no other place of the continent you've got Sea Lions suntanning in other people's yatchs!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 9:59 PM

I've heard Punta is sort of the Hamptons for BA/Montevideo, which sounds up my alley.

Will be at a going away party Saturday for an acquaintance who's moving to BA in 2 weeks. Gotta figure out what his plans are down there (he works in private equity here in NYC, probably doing the same there). BA sounds great -- one can buy an apartment in Recoleta for 1/4 what the place would cost here, so if an American banker or has managed to scrape half a million dollars together, one can buy a nice place and relax, just working to earn money for living expenses. I could see myself doing that someday... consider this trip a "trial run".

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I've heard Punta is sort of the Hamptons for BA/Montevideo, which sounds up my alley.

Will be at a going away party Saturday for an acquaintance who's moving to BA in 2 weeks. Gotta figure out what his plans are down there (he works in private equity here in NYC, probably doing the same there). BA sounds great -- one can buy an apartment in Recoleta for 1/4 what the place would cost here, so if an American banker or has managed to scrape half a million dollars together, one can buy a nice place and relax, just working to earn money for living expenses. I could see myself doing that someday... consider this trip a "trial run".
Yes, it is quiet literally B.A.'s Hamptons!

B.A. is a fantastic buzzling, fantastic city, buy its got its downsides. The folks at International Living call it "Europe at 1/4 the price", well....that's a little far fetched.

Some people live in Colonia, Uruguay 30 mins fast ferry to downtown B.A. only that it is the safest district in the content.

Many more people have a place in B.A. and another in Punta del Este, which if they rent every January or mid December, pays for itself in maybe a decade (there's a shortage of hotels in Punta, and its 100K year-round population soars to more than a million every Summer).

When considering B.A. it's better to think of the River Plate in general.

Regards,

Matt

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 9:17 PM

Typical Sunset at Potezuelo Bay

Luxury yatchs and Fishing boats

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > América Latina > Argentina