HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 9:53 PM
optional

Yes, considering last year they were only thinking about considering thinking about possibly considering becoming interested in thinking about Rapid Transit.

Thunder Bay's city council doesn't know what rapid transit is. They think it's a bus breaking the speed limit.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 10:04 PM

Calgary
-2 extensions to NW LRT underway, first is nearing completion and second is in design stage (2008 and 2011 openings)
-extension to NE LRT funded and currently in design stage (2011 opening)
-West LRT approved, funded, out for tender later this year (2013 opening)
-downtown LRT tunnel alignments for the existing above ground NW and S route are under design
-SE LRT initial rough alignments approved, no confirmed funding yet (expected about $2B for first phase including a downtown tunnel)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 3:25 PM

I'm still confused... What is the current status of the Ottawa O-Train expansion project? Can we actually expect shovels in the ground anytime soon? And is the downtown subway going to be a part of it? If so, will it be under Sparks Street or under or at grade on Albert and Slater?

Last edited by canucklehead2; Jul 5, 2008 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 5:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Tenders are now being issued for the construction of two new high speed (50 km/h, down from 65) 250 passenger ferries in Halifax. Most of the $27M for the ferry project is going to be budgeted for this year so they can start constructing the new terminals.

A transit trip from Bedford to downtown Halifax takes over one hour now at rush hour but will be cut down to 20-30 minutes.

Ferry map from Wikipedia:

Source

A similar ferry in operation during a trial run in 2005, from the Chronicle Herald:

Source

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 10:26 PM

TTC's $1.25B streetcar contract derailed

I'm surprised nobody has posted anything about the TTC's streetcar contract going off the proverbial rails. Bombardier's bid was rejected and the rest of the world's major players did not even bid in the end. The TTC's requirement for 100% low floor trains is at odds with the products the majority of tram makers actually produce. Low floor buses aren't even 100% low floor and yet are still considered fully accessible.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...-contract.html

Streetcar contract stalled as TTC rejects bids
Last Updated: Friday, July 18, 2008 | 8:39 AM ET
The Toronto Transit Commission says its planned $1.25 billion streetcar contract has been derailed.

The TTC said Thursday it is ending its tender process for a fleet of more than 200 new streetcars and will go back to the seven companies that originally expressed interest and see if it can find a supplier.

Bids had been received from Bombardier and a British company TRAM Power. A third company, German engineering giant Siemens backed out of the process last month.

But the TTC dismissed the bid from TRAM and then said the Bombardier bid did not comply with technical specifications.

"The car that [Bombardier was] going to provide to Toronto had to work on the rails that we have on the street today — and had to be able to go around curves like they do at the loops for each line and go down into the station, like at Union [Station]. Their car did not meet those specifications," said TTC chair Adam Giambrone.

Bombardier expressed surprise at the rejection of its bid.

Giambrone said "at this point there are no cars that meet [TTC] specifications" and the TTC will continue to work with companies, including Bombardier, to resolve the technical issues.

The TTC is looking to buy 204 new, low-floor streetcars to replace its aging fleet by 2012. There was also an option to supply an additional 364 streetcars for future transit lines.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 5:26 AM
Dense City

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Calgary
-2 extensions to NW LRT underway, first is nearing completion and second is in design stage (2008 and 2011 openings)
-extension to NE LRT funded and currently in design stage (2011 opening)
-West LRT approved, funded, out for tender later this year (2013 opening)
-downtown LRT tunnel alignments for the existing above ground NW and S route are under design
-SE LRT initial rough alignments approved, no confirmed funding yet (expected about $2B for first phase including a downtown tunnel)
Thank god. Couldn't see the rockies from Calgary the last time i was there from all the car pollution. You don't want to loose that view.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 5:37 AM

Car pollution typically isn't what affects the view of the rockies, there can be a slight smog blanket over the city but it rarely extends much beyond downtown if its even visible. The mountains however get obscured by smoke from forest fires, and thanks to the air currents that exist in the mountains those fires don't even have to be anywhere near the area.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 4:01 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Thank god. Couldn't see the rockies from Calgary the last time i was there from all the car pollution. You don't want to loose that view.
Impossible. Calgary has never had an air quality advisory, or even "poor" air quality readings, in the 8 years I've lived here EXCEPT due to smoke/haze from forest fires. If it was haze due to a temperature inversion, there is no amount of "public transit" that would make the air clear.

Calgary already has the sixth-highest rate of transit usage in North America- you make it sound as if these extensions are finally bringing transit here, when it's an incredibly successful system already.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 5:25 AM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton rapid transit open house, July 28

The City of Hamilton will host a public information meeting on its final proposals for rapid transit service on two crosstown lines on Monday, July 28.

On June 25, Hamilton City Council authorized staff to proceed with light rail transit (LRT) instead of bus rapid transit for the project. They also recommended that staff examine using the Claremont Access instead of James Mountain Road for the north-south line when it climbs the Niagara Escarpment.

You can review the latest proposal and offer your comments and ideas by attending the open house on July 28, or by completing the on-line survey here.

The July 28 information meeting takes place from 11:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. at:

Lloyd D. Jackson Square,
Rooftop, beside the stage.

City Council will approve the final plans for the LRT at its meeting in September. If Council approves the plans, the City will submit them to Metrolinx to include funding for the project in its next capital budget.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 1:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

Looks like the Feds will announce funding of $7 billion towards Ontario’s infrastructure, nearly the exact figure of the Federal share for MoveOntario 2020.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 3:27 PM
BANNED

Ont. to receive $6.2 billion to repair infrastructure
Updated Thu. Jul. 24 2008 10:51 AM ET
The Canadian Press
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...724?hub=Canada

Video: http://watch.ctv.ca/news/latest/cash...rio/#clip68930

LONDON, Ont. -- Ontario's battle to wrest more funds out of the federal government yielded a victory today with a multi-billion dollar commitment from Ottawa for infrastructure.

Federal Transport Minister Lawrence Cannon says more than $3 billion in funding will help the province repair its aging roads, bridges and other infrastructure.

The Ontario government will match that amount to raise the total investment to about $6.2 billion.

Cannon says substantial infrastructure funding for Ontario was long overdue.

Deputy Premier George Smitherman says today's announcement shows the two levels of government are working together for a stronger Ontario.

The spending is expected to create much needed jobs in the province, which has been hit hard in recent months by cutbacks in manufacturing and the auto sector.

Initial priorities include improvements to the Trans-Canada Highway in northwestern Ontario, rural broadband coverage in parts of Ontario and rapid transit in the Kitchener-Waterloo Region.

The funding arrangement will run until 2014.

It's worth repeating:

Initial priorities include improvements to the Trans-Canada Highway in northwestern Ontario, rural broadband coverage in parts of Ontario and rapid transit in the Kitchener-Waterloo Region.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 4:03 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 6:33 PM
Closed account

^^ Congrats, KW! Now let's get this M-Fer started already! ! !

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 7:25 PM
Dense City

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
Impossible. Calgary has never had an air quality advisory, or even "poor" air quality readings, in the 8 years I've lived here EXCEPT due to smoke/haze from forest fires. If it was haze due to a temperature inversion, there is no amount of "public transit" that would make the air clear.

Calgary already has the sixth-highest rate of transit usage in North America- you make it sound as if these extensions are finally bringing transit here, when it's an incredibly successful system already.
I know there's transit in Calgary i've been there nearly thirty times. My brother lives in the northwest part of Calgary and its all houses and roads and more houses. I was waiting at a but stop for nearly an hour and a local walked by and didn't even know if there was a bus in that neighbourhood. Glad to hear a nw line in the works. I know cars keep the oil money pumping but i would like my bro and his neighbours to at least have an option.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 9:19 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
I know there's transit in Calgary i've been there nearly thirty times. My brother lives in the northwest part of Calgary and its all houses and roads and more houses. I was waiting at a but stop for nearly an hour and a local walked by and didn't even know if there was a bus in that neighbourhood. Glad to hear a nw line in the works. I know cars keep the oil money pumping but i would like my bro and his neighbours to at least have an option.
Are you sure that those 30 trips to were to Calgary, Alberta???

If your brother really does live in the northwest, and you actually visited him once during those 30 visits, you may have actually seen that there is already a nw line in service all the way to Dalhousie (and currently being extended to Nose Hill/RR) There is no nw line in the works since it has been in existance for about 20 years!!!

Also, are you sure you weren't waiting at a green bus stop (future stop) since I'm not aware of any bus stop in the NW that is on greater than a 60 minute cycle.

And as for transit use in Calgary, well let's see, in a city of just over 1 Million people, there are over 500000 transit passengers every day, with almost half taking the C-train.

Yep, maybe someday dem der Calgarians might be able to have an option wrt PT!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 10:57 PM

Would you look who's back .

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 12:59 AM
optional

Yeah, when the LRT opens I'm going to go to Kitchener, and he's going to give me that tour behind the happy little bush.

It looks like the government is finally going to work on four-laning the TCH through the Northwest. There was another funding announcement separate from this recently that will bring even more money to NWO, but that's not exactly a transit thing.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 4:47 AM
Calgarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Car pollution typically isn't what affects the view of the rockies, there can be a slight smog blanket over the city but it rarely extends much beyond downtown if its even visible. The mountains however get obscured by smoke from forest fires, and thanks to the air currents that exist in the mountains those fires don't even have to be anywhere near the area.
Most of the air pollution blows south-east of the city. You can see massive brown clouds of it (if weather conditions are right) south of highway one as you head towards Strathmore or if you take 22X towards Carseland. The southside also has a fair amount of smog - you can observe this when you crest over Memorial Drive between Barlow and Deerfoot when you are heading into downtown. It doesn't block the mountain view from there, though.

I have also seen it on some particularily bad days from office high up in the buildings downtown and it is pretty disgusting and shocking since the air in Calgary seems to be clean.

Having said that, the smog problem is minor compared to other cities becuase of the climate and the fact that Calgary is still only 1 million people.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 1:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

RIM!
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. -Donald Rumsfeld
Didn't you notice on the plane when you started talking, eventually I started reading the vomit bag?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 4:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

"The Conservative source said Harper will also make stops in Ontario next week, joining Premier Dalton McGuinty to make an infrastructure funding announcement."

MoveOntario 2020 funding? Gotta be pretty big if you managed to get Harper and Dalton together for the announcement.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada