HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Empire State Building in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 12:33 AM
Frigidus Maximus

^Although they could keep the antenna, I would love to see the rest of mast restored to that pristine state... except for the giant monkey, of course...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 12:39 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Would love to see the antanna removed, but of course with the profits involved in keeping it we won't see that happen.

The restoration of the mooring mast will be nothing short of spectacular, even so.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 12:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Would love to see the antanna removed, but of course with the profits involved in keeping it we won't see that happen.
It will also serve as a backup to the Freedom Tower antenna.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 3:18 PM
Frigidus Maximus

I don't really mind the antenna at all: it's been there as long as I remember, giving the ESB its characteristic "hypodermic" shape. Besides, it gives the building added height. If it suddenly disappeared, most people would feel something was missing, as opposed to something being restored...

Remember, the mast was originally meant as a docking station for dirigibles (yes, the ESB is THAT old!), but on the first few tries the "dock" proved too instable, and just plain scary, to ever be used that way. So, in fact the antenna has become the mast's raison d'etre... If modern television broadcasting was around when it was first designed, it's a certainty there would have been some sort of antenna built in the first place.

What I REALLY want to see are the mast and antenna restored to like-new condition: that would be spectacular.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 12:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
If it suddenly disappeared, most people would feel something was missing, as opposed to something being restored...
That's true also.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 11:38 AM
New Yorker for life

Photo by jbparker

Another by jorivando

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 9:26 PM

OMG! thats a beautiful pic, the original top of the ESB looks pretty nice, weird to me, like naked, but looks pretty nice...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 9:05 PM
(Go7SD)

A couple of years ago I was surprised when I discovered the origin of Empire State Building's roots being traced back to Pennsylvania and Indiana. These placewere also responsible for the cladding and steel we see today on some other buildings like Grand Central Terminal, Rockefeller Center, Tribune Tower etc.. I use to visit some friends in Bedford located just south of Indianapolis. I learned that the Bedford Indiana Limestone Co. was where ESB's cladding came from and that they even offer tours of the Empire State Building quary where it was cut from. Everytime I look at the building it's like seeing part of Indiana on the face of it but on other hand Bethlehem,Pa is where some of the building's steel (skeleton) came from. The Empire State Building is a true marvel and will be for many generations to come.

Interesting facts:

60,000 tons of steel was brought in from the steel mills in Pennsylvania (mainly Bethlehem area), 310 miles away, by train, barges and trucks.
generations to come.

"The Empire Quarry" (known as the craddle of ESB)
it's a long way down...trust me. Wash DC's Pentagon quarry is somewhere near by too.

Last edited by Go7SD; Jan 4, 2008 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 11:17 PM
The Desert Apple

Quote:
I use to visit some friends in Bedford located just south of Indianapolis. I learned that the Bedford Indiana Limestone Co. was where ESB's cladding came from and that they even offer tours of the Empire State Building quary where it was cut from.
Wow, very interesting information... I had no idea. I went to Indiana University in Bloomington which is very nearby. BILC is right off of 37, no?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 3:50 AM
Frigidus Maximus

^Indiana limestone is famous - the Pentagon and National Archive Building in Washington are clad with it, too.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 4:42 AM
(Go7SD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus22minus1 View Post
Wow, very interesting information... I had no idea. I went to Indiana University in Bloomington which is very nearby. BILC is right off of 37, no?
Yes..the main entrance is just right off 37 just before you hit 50. Yeah, as I was driving my truck over the top of Throg's Neck Bridge (I-295) tonight on my way towards Brentwood (Long Island) I noticed the Empire State Building still had it's holiday colors lit up on it. When I head out tonight after picking up a load of 15,000 lbs worth of napkins to take to Ohio I'm going to cut back across into Brooklyn via I-278 to get a closer view of ESB and the rest of Manhattan. Then cross over the Verrazano into Staten Island for a shot of downtown. Unfortunately, NY law prohibits semi truck thru traffic into Manhattan. The fines are...well, I wouldn't want to find out even though I would like to see ESB really close up. I frequently come to the NY area so next time I will have to take a couple of days off and take the train in from across the river.

Can any of you in NY tell me if there are any trains out of New Rochelle or Union City,NJ? These are possible areas on where I may park my truck and catch a cab to take a train into the city. I pretty much live over the road as a truck driver. just wondering

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 4:51 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy McDowell View Post
Can any of you in NY tell me if there are any trains out of New Rochelle or Union City,NJ? These are possible areas on where I may park my truck and catch a cab to take a train into the city.
I'm fairly sure you can catch a train from either of the locations. You can probably also catch an NJ Transit bus from Union City and it'll take you through either of the Westside tunnels, or directly into Downtown.

I'm a student in Manhattan, so I am not that familiar with anything outside the island.

Union City is just across the Hudson correct? You may be able to get something into Penn Station by rail also.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 5:45 AM

That's quite fascinating, Roy. Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 5:48 AM
(Go7SD)

yeah, it's right across the Hudson just north of Jersey City where SR495 runs into the Lincoln Tunnel. My truck would actually be parked at one of the service plazas off the NJ Turnpike. Just as I'm looking at the map it looks like it's in Secaucus instead Union City. It's close enough though.

On another note...

Here's the latest news from the Indiana Limestone Company

EMPIRE QUARRY

source: http://www.indianalimestonecompany.c....php?pageId=98

Indiana Limestone Company expands Empire Quarry

The Empire Quarry, home of the quarry that produced the stone for New York's Empire State Building, among many others, is being expanded. Dave Prince, General Manger of Quarry Operations explains that this is a continuation of the large deposit of Empire Standard Buff and Gray stone that the company has quarried for over 75 years. Stripping of the site started last June and quarry production commenced in May, 2004. Empire Quarry stone is considered a rich textured limestone that is coveted by the cut stone industry.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 12:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
My truck would actually be parked at one of the service plazas off the NJ Turnpike. Just as I'm looking at the map it looks like it's in Secaucus instead Union City.
That's your best best. The Secaucus Junction (a major NJ Transit transfer station) is there, right next to the turnpike. From there, its about 3 min into Penn Station.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2008, 2:03 PM
(Go7SD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's your best best. The Secaucus Junction (a major NJ Transit transfer station) is there, right next to the turnpike. From there, its about 3 min into Penn Station.

Thanks NYguy..I'll be looking for it when I return. I will use that as my official NYC stop in the future. I try to plan these stops in other cities across the country.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 7:21 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Thanks NYguy..I'll be looking for it when I return. I will use that as my official NYC stop in the future. I try to plan these stops in other cities across the country.
The station:
http://www.archnewsnow.com/features/Feature127.htm

ny times

archnewsnow.com

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 8:35 AM
New Yorker for life

By Craig Both

Even the birds know where to go for a pleasant view...

By cherries jubileee

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 11:46 PM
Frigidus Maximus

NYDailynews.com

Voice of the People
Sunday, January 13th 2008, 4:00 AM

A city's shame

Bayside: Where's the pride in New York City regarding the Empire State Building, that great symbol of our city?

How can W&H Properties be allowed to hire a nonunion company, MDB Development, to do masonry restoration work on the Empire State Building, which was built with the sweat and blood of union workers?

I could cry when I walk by on my way to work and see workers on shaky scaffolding high up on the building, knowing they are not receiving union wages or working under union protections.

It's disgusting to see a big, ugly management rat - set up by unions that support decent wages, safe working conditions and benefits for workers - hovering over a replica of the Empire State Building. Visitors on the tour buses gape at the sight.

It's time Mayor Bloomberg stepped in and ended this disgrace.

Mary Jamison

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 5:28 AM

^A union leader hurt by the fact that her company wasn't hired for the gig?

That statement soulds like it has a good deal of pure tripe. "Workers on shaky scaffolding"... did she personally see the scaffolding shake?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture