HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Sky in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 5:35 PM
low-riding

Smile NEW YORK | 605 West 42nd St (Atelier II) | 656 FT | 61 FLOORS

Atelier II
605 W 57th St
617 FT / 188 M
57 floors
Residential
Construction: 2008-2010
Costas Kondylis & Partners LLP Architects

Costas Kondylis & Partners LLP Architects

http://www.winick.com/email_blast/60...emailhtml.html

Being built next door to the Atelier. This one is planned at 57 floors. Unknown height at this time.

The developer is the Moinian Group, the same as Atelier and is being designed by Costas Kondylis and Partners.

All of the buildings and the gas station have been demolished and currently they are digging the foundation.

If the height surpasses the 653ft of the Silverstein twin towers being built across the street, this would end up the tallest building in the immediate neighborhood.

4/18-4/20

All buildings have been torn down and they are digging and working on foundation.

Its next door neighbor, The Atelier
Quite the success

When completed, this western anchor to 42nd street will be an ultradense cluster. Silverstein's 59 story twins going up across the street with Atelier in the middle

Last edited by Lecom; Sep 17, 2008 at 8:34 PM. Reason: added renders w sources + info rundown

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 5:52 PM
World Machine

I've always the loved the Atelier. It has class written all over it. This new one though is a bit of a surprise. I haven't been down in that direction in a while, so this is good news.

The 42nd Street canyon builds on!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 8:20 PM

Quote:
The large-scale luxury condominium market contributed to the resurgence of far West 42nd Street, and several high-rise condo towers are now under construction.

Demolition is expected to start this month at 605 West 42nd Street, where the Moinian Group and investor MacFarlane Partners plan to build a mixed-use tower with two peaks that include 1,000 rental and condominium units. Also this month, Moinian is anticipating move-ins at Atelier, his recently completed neighboring condo building at 635 West 42nd Street.

Developer Larry Silverstein is working on River Place II on far West 42nd Street, which will accompany the 900-unit rental River Place I, erected in 2000. River Place II, a massive 57-story rental tower with 1,550 units at 600 West 42nd Street, will be one of the largest rental developments seen in recent years. Construction is expected to begin this month, according to Dara McQuillan, a spokesperson for Silverstein Properties.

The Related Companies, Twining Properties and MacFarlane Partners are working on a mixed-use development, including rental apartments, at 440 West 42nd Street between Ninth and 10th avenues. The Dermot Company and Archstone-Smith are working on the Mosaic, a mixed-use project with two primarily high-end luxury rental towers spanning from 51st to 53rd streets along 10th Avenue. The Witkoff Group is reportedly constructing a mixed-use rental development at 44th Street and Eighth Avenue.
Full article (January 2007...)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 10:39 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Looks-wise it ties in with the Atelier without being anywhere near a copy. I like it.

What I'm wondering is why the west 42nd street boom now? What set all this in motin? re-zoning?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 12:30 AM
low-riding

This was long coming. These towers were proposed before the 7 train extension was officially approved. It was the natural evolution of 42nd street spreading from times Sq to the river. With the redevelopment of Times Sq pretty much done the surrounding areas are getting interest. Also evidence of this is the complete makeover and new skyscraper canyon that 8th ave is turining out to be. The work being done in the blocks south of 42 will be entirely due to the rezoning done by Bloomberg

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 3:12 AM

Lord, I hope they scrap that Kondylis design and go with something else. It's just an ugly fat slab.

And look at that short/low base. All wrong for NY.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Lord, I hope they scrap that Kondylis design and go with something else. It's just an ugly fat slab.

And look at that short/low base. All wrong for NY.
i can imagine it looking quite nice

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 8:49 PM
Redhawkfan

A lot going on at West 42nd as usual. I think it looks okay, nothing really spectacular but not ugly either. Some more high quality renderings would be nice though

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 9:12 PM
Dubai goes Crazy

indeed nothing special but in that area we'll have a great new cluster

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 2:21 PM

I like 605 West 42nd it well be a nice addition in the area and will complement both the Atelier and the River Place II towers.

I can't help but feel that this area is going to get really crowded in the next five years. Need more of everthing from groceries to transportation to support the rising population that about to occur, still very exciting to see all this development.

Now if we could only get the extreme east side of 42nd moving (Con Edison site) that would make a already great 42nd street even better.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 11:56 AM
New Yorker for life

Been waiting for this one for a while...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 8:03 AM
Everywhere all at once

WHOOOOOOO!!! A 605 thread! We can stretch out and chillax now...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 8:44 AM

Construction has started at redesigned 605 West 42nd Street

05-JUN-08

Construction has begun for 605 West 42nd Street, a 57-story residential tower planned by The Moinian Group just to the east of its 478-unit Atelier condominium apartment tower at 635 West 42nd Street.

According to the new issue of New York Construction, the new tower will have 800 rental apartments up to what the developer is calling the 53rd floor and 150 residential condominiums on floors 53 through 60. According to records on file with the New York City Department of buildings, the building will have 20 apartments on floors 4 through 46 and 19 apartments on floors 47through 56.

The building will have parking for 450 cars and a third-floor will have a coffee bar, a yoga room, a roof deck with a swimming pool and lounge. The ground level of the building's east side will have retail, possibly an automobile dealership, and a children's playground and a putting green may also be included in the project, which has been designed by Costas Kondylis, who was the architect also of the Atelier.

The Atelier has four "abs," or protruding elements, on its north and south sides. The new tower will have five "abs" on the west side of its south facade but they do not align with those on the Atelier. In addition, the new tower will have one "ab" high up on its northeast corner. The original design of the new tower had only four "abs" on the west of the south facade and none on the east facade.

The design of the new tower appears as two joined slabs with a darker blue one, 54 stories high, projecting somewhat from the lighter blue one, 57 stories high, on the north side. The new tower rises from a 15,500-square-foot base on its 70,000-square-foot site and slopes upward at a three-degree angle on its east side to a 16,500-square-foot top floor. The top of the east side of the building is 20 feet wider than its base.

The tower is expected to be completed in the second quarter of 2010.

Earlier reports about the project indicated it might have 938 condominium apartments.

Forty-Second Street west of Eighth Avenue has been undergoing a major transformation for many years, led by some off-off-Broadway theaters, then the twin apartment towers of the full-block Manhattan Plaza project, then Harry Macklowe's Riverwest apartment tower followed by Larry Silverstein's Riverplace tower overlooking the Hudson River. More recently, Extell completed its very tall Orion apartment tower just to the west of the "Green Giant," as the former McGraw-Hill Building designed by Raymond Hood is known.

Some urban planners and community activists are urging the city to create a second stop on the planned extension of the 7 subway line that will connect Times Square with the area near the Javits Convention Center and the redevelopment of the MTA West Side rail yards. At present, only stop, at the southern terminus, is planned, but the planners and activists are hoping for a second stop close to 42nd Street near Tenth Avenue.

There is good cross-town bus service on 42nd Street.

Phiilippe Starck is doing the project's interior design.

Copyright © 1994-2008 CITY REALTY.COM INC.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 8:48 AM

Compare...

Now
Before

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 11:32 AM
Dubai goes Crazy

looks better now i think

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 12:43 PM
New Yorker for life

A little bump in height I guess. I would like to see a rendering of all of the towers in that area completed.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 4:13 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

The western end of 42nd is fast becoming a stretch of Midtown to behold This building's design is similar to the Platinum over at 8th and 50th st.

Last edited by NYC4Life; Jun 9, 2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Updated URL

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 1:10 PM
Dubai goes Crazy

can't see the shot ^^

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 9:08 AM
YIMBY co-founder

The facade seems to have a few more details, but the base looks plenty changed. A bit larger podium - still too low for my tastes tho.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 2:18 PM
BANNED

its good to start seeing the west side geting skyscrapers there has not been much there for quit a long time now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive