HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 11:54 PM
don't listen to 720

DENVER | Main Development Thread #6

Welcome to the sixth main Denver development thread!

Let me be your guide in this new and exciting adventure!

everydaycareer.com

But first, let's take a moment to remember the good times we had in the previous development thread. We'll always treasure that time together.

visualphotos.com

Now allow me to orient you to your new surroundings.

University of Arkansas

The thread name: We do not have any formal rule that threads must be named in the "CITY NAME | Subtitle" format, but it's clear and some people like it, so here it is. Feel free to use a similar format for other threads you may create, but it's not the end of the world if you don't.

This thread's topic: This is mostly for downtown Denver and adjacent central city neighborhoods. But if someone wants to post development news from the suburbs or DIA or whatever, that's OK too (if we decide to change that, we'll change the title to "downtown only" or something). Just try to keep news for things that have their own dedicated threads in those dedicated threads. Also, be prepared for and accept that this thread sometimes digresses as the discussion ebbs and flows.

Other ongoing Colorado threads:And don't forget: You ARE allowed to make new threads. They can be one-offs or you can attempt to create an ongoing one. Feel free.

I think that's all you need to know. Hooray!

brushymountainchiropracticcenter.com

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 11:58 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Love it! Thanks, Cirrus.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 12:03 AM
I need a job!

Best opening post evar!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 12:09 AM
Ground Scraper

You are a paragon of virtue!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 12:35 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

That opening is just fantastic. You make it seem like we are all so... harmonious.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 12:37 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Welcome to the sixth main Denver development thread!

Let me be your guide in this new and exciting adventure!

Marvelous! But can we get a hotter guide?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 2:24 AM
Tells Cirrus what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
That opening is just fantastic. You make it seem like we are all so... harmonious.

Yeah. I was annoyed by it, too. We need an argument before the end of page 1.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 2:25 AM
Tells Cirrus what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Marvelous! But can we get a hotter guide?
Eh, a 617 isn't bad. I also think the hat is distracting and causes her to be a Boston number.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 4:48 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

I wish this was a future Denver intercity rail station... Buuuuuutttt yeah.. Mind you this is post Rockies game traffic, I still like it!

Oh yeah, I'm also taking the train A LOT. It's probably the best thing that has happened to my Denver life because I love trains.

EDIT: I'll create the first stink on this thread. 30 minute headways on a Friday night piss me off. It's ridiculous. Also why is there no F or C line at night or weekends? That's horribly inconvenient.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 5:56 PM

Ryan... those are great people shots. Wasn't sure how many fans go by train and Friday is the busiest game along with weekends in general. In fact the Saturday afternoon Dodger game exceeded Friday's attendance slightly.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 6:07 PM
Up Up and Away

It's always a good thing to see peopke using mass transit.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 7:08 PM

How High.... can you fly?

I'm calling it and bunt_q is spot on (generally).

I have been impressed with the pace of lease-up of the most recent apartments to come online. Thinking... there must still be a dozen good sized apartment projects still to be finished over the next 12-18 months in and around downtown.

The Top is in. That's my call. Common sense suggests there is only so much demand at these price points. Specific construction cycles - in this case apartments - have a way of ending often when we least expect it. That's not to say we couldn't still see a project similar to what Palisade Partners just announced. Perhaps another project in RiNo even. But for the most part the Big Thrust will soon be over, done, kaput.

The beauty of the recent success is that I'd expect development to move down line, especially along the West and Gold lines. I wouldn't be surprised to see Aurora get some TOD going. I'm thinking out 3-5 years here. This is only economic good sense.

Then, depending on how much downtown office space is built over the next 5-7 years, there might be additional demand for residential after 2020.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 7:09 PM

Procedural move kills last of three Colorado construction-defects bills

Procedural move kills last of three Colorado construction-defects bills
By Aldo Svaldi
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/06/2014 11:47:17

Read more: Procedural move kills last of three Colorado construction-defects bills - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...#ixzz344msn5ct

Has this been discussed?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 7:57 PM

Tooling around the internet town...

I see where a project which is critical to the Denver Metro area which formally started on Sept. 17, 2003 is finally coming into closer focus. The final EIS was released by the Army Corps of Engineers on April 25, 2014 with comments due on June 9 for the proposed expansion of Gross Reservoir by Denver Water.

Without this project sprawl would be significantly constrained.
/sarcasm font off

For anyone who's not familiar with the need for this, the Denver Water site has a brief but good description HERE. They don't anticipate starting construction until 2017 with completion expected in 2021.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
I think that's all you need to know. Hooray!

brushymountainchiropracticcenter.com
I see where Mill Creek Residential may build 400 apartments at the Landmark Mall redevelopment.

From Dallas, they came into Denver later than others, seemed unbothered with getting a prime location, picked up the full block at 2300 Walnut, broke ground and built very nice product called The Douglas. Then they acquired one of the last good parcels in the Prospect neighborhood and are currently building 2100 Delgany.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 11:34 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post

oooo kay..... so now we know Dodger fan knows how to use mass transit. Is that why it's less full other times? Probably just as full whenever NY fans get to see their team too.

Oh and off topic sorta.. but it's only June 8th and the Rox have, ahead of schedule, started their free fall down the standings. Danny Boy's bonus must be inversely proportional to the latest date the home team's record passes .500 on the way down.

It's hard not to judge a book by its cover when all the pages are blank.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 9:25 AM
Tells Cirrus what to do.

The most frustrating thing about the Rockies is they actually have 8 players who can bat and get 18 outs.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 3:07 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
For anyone who's not familiar with the need for this, the Denver Water site has a brief but good description HERE. They don't anticipate starting construction until 2017 with completion expected in 2021.
The Chatfield Reservoir expansion was approved by the USACE as well earlier this month. It's always great to see the county's in Colorado that have the worst water storage and use policies in the state invoke a half-assed measure to try and stave off the approaching day when the aquifer finally runs dry and DougCo residents are shot while trying to pilfer Denver's water. I know that the illustrious Bunt seems to think that Douglas County will end up buying acre feet off the Western Slope and then try to resurrect the Big Straw in some sort of unholy alliance with of the GOP districts on the Western Slope, but that's a pretty tall order IMO. Especially since Denver Water made a deal to get the Moffat Diversion project approved.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 3:16 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
The Top is in. That's my call. Common sense suggests there is only so much demand at these price points. Specific construction cycles - in this case apartments - have a way of ending often when we least expect it. That's not to say we couldn't still see a project similar to what Palisade Partners just announced. Perhaps another project in RiNo even. But for the most part the Big Thrust will soon be over, done, kaput.
I don't think so. There's been so much positive absorption of the projects that have come online that I expect a few more large (200 units +) and even one or two very large (500 units +) that are in the pipelines to break ground. You've still got a couple parcels behind Union Station that would be ideal for multi-family development and downtown has a couple of projects in the works as well. We still seem to be on the positive slope of the curve.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I don't think so. There's been so much positive absorption of the projects that have come online that I expect a few more large (200 units +) and even one or two very large (500 units +) that are in the pipelines to break ground. You've still got a couple parcels behind Union Station that would be ideal for multi-family development and downtown has a couple of projects in the works as well. We still seem to be on the positive slope of the curve.
I agree. I'm not sure that we've built enough units for latent demand from 2010, much less to handle the growth from 2014. We're continuing to import well-heeled technology workers at a really fast rate. They all want to live in the city and there simply isn't room for them right now. I'm actually shocked that we've had this little lull in apartment starts at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West