HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 5:30 AM

Rhode Island - What's that?

All pics are from August of 2006.

Providence:

Westerly, in...you guessed it, western Rhode Island (southwest actually), right on the border of Connecticut. Population is around 23,000:

Unintentional product placement:

Tasty.

Quonochontaug:

Quonochontaug is a census designated "village" surrounding Quonochontaug Pond. It's technically part of the town of Charleston (pop. 8,000) The population is "several hundred" according to wikipedia, and from experience, I can say that that's probably right. I don't have any pics of the "village" areas though, unfortunately.

the beach:

A kickass thunderstorm:

It was at least 70 degrees during the storm, and we just sat there for two hours on a covered porch right on the beach, drinking beer and eating raw clams (that we had just caught hours earlier), as we watched it roll by. That was fun. I wish we had storms like that in California.

Quonochontaug Pond, a saltwater "pond" connected to the ocean by a narrow inlet. There are a lot of these saltwater marshes/ponds lining the coast of Rhode Island:

Bonus Hartford shot:

the end

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 5:52 AM

Wow you just made my day. Providence is such an underrated city. Westerly is a great looking town. I'm only familiar with it because of the airport (takes you to nearby Block Island - the reason why RI is possibly my favorite state)

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 5:55 AM
Recognize

Great Job! That lightning was awsome. Would always like to see more of that area for sure.

Thanks for sharing!
Dwight

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 6:04 AM

Awe, I was hoping to see some Newport, but that's okay because I was VERY pleasantly surprised with Westerly. I'll have to visit there next time I'm out there. Nice riverfront buildings. Providence is a fantastic city as well. It was just on a list of the most miserable cities to live in though. I don't know what that's all about because I think it would be great.

And three cheers to PASSENGER RAIL!!!!
There's this big, black tower, right? And it points right at this huge burning vagina thing, and it's like the symbol of ultimate evil. And then Sam and Frodo have to go to this cave and deposit their magic ring into this hot, steaming lava pit. Only at the last minute, Frodo can't perform, so Gollum bites of his finger.....Gay.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 6:08 AM

Two big thumbs up!! Rhode Island is a place that deserves exposure.
I'd never seen Westerly before, it looks impressive. Great nature shots too.

Has anyone else ever noticed that in Providence the police cars look like taxis and the taxis look like police cars?

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade_bltz View Post
Wow you just made my day. Providence is such an underrated city. Westerly is a great looking town. I'm only familiar with it because of the airport (takes you to nearby Block Island - the reason why RI is possibly my favorite state)
Glad you liked it! Yeah, Providence is great. Next time I'm over there I need to make sure I get a chance to give it an in depth treatment. I basically only had a couple hours to take pictures, and I was with people so I couldn't really wander off or anything. As for Westerly, it's a cool town too. Block Island is great though. I've been there once, though I took the ferry, rather than fly.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 6:12 AM
Eurosceptic

nice to see some non-Providence/Newport RI for once! Always wondered what Westerly looked like... and it surpassed my expectations... tons of character

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 7:26 AM
Dryer lint inspector

are you sure this is RI because i didn't see ONE dunkin' donuts in these pictures. anyway, great tour.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
are you sure this is RI because i didn't see ONE dunkin' donuts in these pictures. anyway, great tour.
Ohhh man, I see you missed the "unintentional product placement" picture (see that cup sitting there by the railing?). I went to dunkin' donuts way too much when I was over there. The iced coffee is like liquid crack...

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 12:02 PM
BANNED

great photo thread. Providence is one of my best suprises last year when I went up there for a job.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 12:22 PM
Meh

Beautiful thread! Those shots of the Capitol are very nice. And I have to confess, I didn't realize there were any kind of hills there at all. And oh man, that thunderstorm must have been totally badass to watch. Front porch, beer, on the beach you say?

My sister in law's parents lived in Rhode Island for about a year a few years back. They loved it. They lived about 3 blocks from the beach and would go walking down there every day. They talked about how cool it was to actually have snow on the beach.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 1:05 PM

I'm loving the storm shots.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 2:05 PM
zzzzzzzz

Great photos!

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 2:48 PM
Corporate logo

Got to love New England. Beautiful shots.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 5:10 PM
Resident Jackass

Ive never really seen RI outside of Newport.

Thanks for the tour.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 5:33 PM
I'm going slightly mad.

Great tour and some awesome shots. Those of the state capitol and the lightning especially. Thanks.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 7:02 PM
under the influence...

Great stuff. Nice to see R.I. pics posted here.

Came close to ruining it for me with the the Hartford shot though...

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 12:59 AM
Time/Space

Yay Providence! Great job.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 1:16 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Don't see much of these two places here! Great post....Westerly looks like a town I would really like.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 1:33 AM

Glad you all like the pics! ^^That was the first time I'd been to Westerly, and I was pleasantly surprised. It's a nice town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Beautiful thread! Those shots of the Capitol are very nice. And I have to confess, I didn't realize there were any kind of hills there at all. And oh man, that thunderstorm must have been totally badass to watch. Front porch, beer, on the beach you say?

My sister in law's parents lived in Rhode Island for about a year a few years back. They loved it. They lived about 3 blocks from the beach and would go walking down there every day. They talked about how cool it was to actually have snow on the beach.
Yeah, the storm was a great experience. It's hard for this Northern California guy to grasp the fact that there can be a gigantic, insanely intense thunderstorm, but with barely any wind and very warm temperatures. The beer on the beach was the icing on the cake

It was cool when the storm started. We went to Walmart (haha, I know), and upon entering there was no rain, but these huge storm clouds. About 20 minutes after entering the windowless abyss, these booming rumbling sounds started, and when we got outside it was pouring rain so much that visibility was only a few hundred feet at best, and the earth was shaking (literally) from the thunder, as bright lightning filled the sky. It was pretty damn exciting to me. I think I've experienced maybe 5 thunderstorms here in CA, and they were completely insignificant compared to this. I also experienced a hurricane there when I was maybe 5, but I don't remember too much.

The beaches and marshes/ponds in Rhode Island are great. My mother's family owns a house on the pond shown in the picture (and the boat, which has some great ocean-fishing and beer stories of it's own ), and It's a 10 minute walk from the beach shown in the pics. I've never been in the winter though, so I've never seen snow on the beach. Sounds cool.

It's been two years...I need to get back there!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos