HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 9:47 PM
molasses's Avatar
molasses molasses is offline
sky blue sky
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.
Posts: 82
hmmm, doesn't sound like the majority is Aboriginal either, however there may be a reserve near by.

it really is amazing how quickly some people like to try to dismiss issues as those of race. c'mon it's a mining town that shut down, it's going to have serious problem...and really if you want to generalize so much, you should likely stick with asking if the majority of the residents are unemployed people lacking higher education. if you've ever been to a mining town chances are you've seen a lot of drug or alcohol problems.....check the stats on addiction for Fort Mac....and that is most certainly not solely people of one ethnic background and those people are gainfully employed.

and in regards to the complaints about someone calling out someone's ethnic bias...why is it such a problem if someone disagrees with your assumption greco?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 11:58 PM
Greco Roman Greco Roman is offline
Movin' on up
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by molasses View Post
and in regards to the complaints about someone calling out someone's ethnic bias...why is it such a problem if someone disagrees with your assumption greco?
The issue wasn't with disagreeing with me as anyone can do so; the issue was with the person him/herself and how we've had the exact same argument in the exact same manner before, but I think this is all resolved now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted May 24, 2008, 2:57 AM
molasses's Avatar
molasses molasses is offline
sky blue sky
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
The issue wasn't with disagreeing with me as anyone can do so; the issue was with the person him/herself and how we've had the exact same argument in the exact same manner before, but I think this is all resolved now.
well, i suppose that is what happens when you seem to love to try and blame things on race and immediately tend to assume that any problems must be because of aboriginals.....and i don't want to keep this debate up, because it has happened on here enough times and some people, yourself included, like to keep making the same statements as if theu are fact....but really your original comment was pretty inflamatory and quite prejudiced......especially considering northern resource towns have always had issues with substance abuse and crime...that's what happens when people leave there families behind and work long hours in isolated areas...then when the industry shuts down, it gets worse.....though, i think your statement could make more sense reversed....some reserves have become like northern resource towns.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted May 24, 2008, 3:25 AM
socialisthorde socialisthorde is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
The issue wasn't with disagreeing with me as anyone can do so; the issue was with the person him/herself and how we've had the exact same argument in the exact same manner before, but I think this is all resolved now.
Rest assured I am not MQ and I have no interest in arguing for argument sake. I had strong feelings about what you said, saw a logical flaw (predjudice) in it and I am strongly offended by predjudice, so I responded in what I thought was a fairly lighthearted manner. Note: I did not and am not now calling you predjudiced or racist or any other such term. I was and am speaking to the content of your post. I really did not intend to offend you or anyone else, but feel compelled to speak up on this issue. I do not believe my own arguments are without flaws and I know I have my own predjudices and I would be happy to hear people point them out. I am however offended by personal attacks and innuendo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 9:42 PM
Jonitecture's Avatar
Jonitecture Jonitecture is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 186
I agree with socialisthorde actually, I think the comments made by Greco Roman sounded a little racist... that is your point right?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 10:35 PM
Greco Roman Greco Roman is offline
Movin' on up
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonitecture View Post
I agree with socialisthorde actually, I think the comments made by Greco Roman sounded a little racist... that is your point right?

Whatever dude. Don't really give a rat's ass what you think since you don't know me therefore you really can't judge me

Anyways, this subject is now closed to me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 10:40 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: north Exchange wpg
Posts: 21,777
the north is alot difrent then in the cities
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 6:12 AM
Jonitecture's Avatar
Jonitecture Jonitecture is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 186
AHA. i wasnt asking you to care about what i was saying, although a word of advice for you is, don't say stupid things, because it just makes people think you are stupid!

P.S. Racism isn't cool people. Prejudgice agianst aboriginal people especially bothers me because what ever negative stereotypes we can think of, white people are the root of almost all Aboriginal peoples problems.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 6:25 AM
Greco Roman Greco Roman is offline
Movin' on up
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonitecture View Post
AHA. i wasnt asking you to care about what i was saying, although a word of advice for you is, don't say stupid things, because it just makes people think you are stupid!

P.S. Racism isn't cool people. Prejudgice agianst aboriginal people especially bothers me because what ever negative stereotypes we can think of, white people are the root of almost all Aboriginal peoples problems.
Dude, I'm willing to bet that if you would find stats about northern Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta, you would find that there is a disproportional amount of crime and substance abuse caused by more Aborigionals than other "races" of populations up there. Yes, of course there are reasons for this. But go ahead and kid yourself by calling me "racist" for saying this. Whatever. If the facts back it up, then that is what it is. So you tell yourself whatever you need to in order to make yourself sleep better at night.

Goodnight, and peace out!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 6:15 PM
socialisthorde socialisthorde is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 575
Thanks for tryin Jonitecture. I think this is one of those cases where it is best to quietly back out the door...unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:51 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.