HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:09 PM

New figures for YXE for 2017

About Skyxe Saskatoon Airport
Skyxe Saskatoon Airport is operated by Saskatoon Airport Authority. Skyxe Saskatoon Airport is a partner in developing Saskatoon and Saskatchewan by delivering the most valued airport experience in Canada. The Saskatoon Airport saw 1,463,410 passengers in 2017, the second busiest year ever with an average five-year growth rate of 2.1%.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 11:34 PM

I think that number was from 2016 here is another post on numbers

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/saskato...2017-1.3774217

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 2:09 AM
ConstructionPete

There is obviously a discrepancy in the numbers as a post on their social media pages (image) reported the pax number as 1,462,751 in 2017.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 3:06 AM

ya Kalin cbc must have misprinted it

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 11:27 PM

Not certain if this are normal seasonal adjustments or new for this summer. The WestJet press releases have this summer:

Edmonton-Saskatoon, from 19 going to 20 times weekly.
Vancouver-Regina from six to seven times weekly (daily)
Toronto-Saskatoon, from 10 to 12 times weekly.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Not certain if this are normal seasonal adjustments or new for this summer. The WestJet press releases have this summer:

Edmonton-Saskatoon, from 19 going to 20 times weekly.
Vancouver-Regina from six to seven times weekly (daily)
Toronto-Saskatoon, from 10 to 12 times weekly.
These are additional from last summer.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 7:37 PM
ConstructionPete

Message from Skyxe:

The correct number of passengers is 1,462,751. We received an update from a carrier after an initial press release mentioned 1,463,410. We are unsure of where CTV got 1.6M from.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 11:17 PM

The final open house and presentation for the YQR Revised draft final Masterplan 2037 is March 13th. Can’t wait. Hopefully lots of people will go.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
The final open house and presentation for the YQR Revised draft final Masterplan 2037 is March 13th. Can’t wait. Hopefully lots of people will go.
I read all the plan of the airport and I am quite impressed with it. Their main priority is to re-establish a non-stop US airlink with either AA, DL, UA, or even AC. Then the hard work to get a European Carrier will start. And I wish they would extend the two runways to 10000 feet to accommodate bigger aircraft. But time will tell.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 12:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
I read all the plan of the airport and I am quite impressed with it. Their main priority is to re-establish a non-stop US airlink with either AA, DL, UA, or even AC. Then the hard work to get a European Carrier will start. And I wish they would extend the two runways to 10000 feet to accommodate bigger aircraft. But time will tell.
Is Regina even 200k in population?? Even if so, they actually believe a city of that size will attract a European Airline?? Good luck with that pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking dream!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:12 PM

[QUOTE=Pinus;8074814]Is Regina even 200k in population?? Even if so, they actually believe a city of that size will attract a European Airline?? Good luck with that pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking dream![/QUOTE

But there is always a way to dream. But to come to the point that I was mentioning is that the YQR airport authority needs to get a US airlink back in the city either by MSP or DEN or ORD. With that link back it would save some driving time for folks to go to Saskatoon to take a flight to the US.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:14 PM
Unregistered User

Regina's not huge (250k or so), and I believe that the previous commenter is neither a Regina resident, nor under any false impressions about the time/work involved in courting a European route. But there's absolutely nothing wrong in trying to lay the groundwork, or else it really will never happen. Thanks for your insight.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 4:44 PM

[QUOTE=stephan.richard;8074867]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Is Regina even 200k in population?? Even if so, they actually believe a city of that size will attract a European Airline?? Good luck with that pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking dream![/QUOTE

But there is always a way to dream. But to come to the point that I was mentioning is that the YQR airport authority needs to get a US airlink back in the city either by MSP or DEN or ORD. With that link back it would save some driving time for folks to go to Saskatoon to take a flight to the US.
Or help reduce commutes to Minot.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
Regina's not huge (250k or so), and I believe that the previous commenter is neither a Regina resident, nor under any false impressions about the time/work involved in courting a European route. But there's absolutely nothing wrong in trying to lay the groundwork, or else it really will never happen. Thanks for your insight.
Realistically if they work hard at it they may get a flight to Iceland or a European charter operator one or two times a week. They are not going to get a major airline to do it.

Wardair in the 70s and 80s use to operate 747 between Saskatchewan and the UK.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
I may not be a resident but I will be a future resident of your province and the City of Regina. I am from the city of Moncton where a few years ago we had a non-stop flight from Moncton to Hanover and Moncton to Paris. And the city of Moncton we have 120k when you include the tri city area. And the airport for the size of the city is handling roughly 675k a year. Looking at those stats I I think that Regina Interrnnatinal if they work hard can get it but they would need to upgrade their facilities like increase the runways and upgrade their terminal. I hope that they are negotiating with a US air carrier to re-establish a regular route to the US to stop people from either driving to Minot, Winnipeg and even Saskatoon. And I am shocked that the Regina airport has a small Maple Leaf lounge.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 1:32 AM

YQR airport eyeing southern routes to promote growth in 2018. The Regina Airport's new CEO has high hopes for 2018, including service to Denver.

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...growth-in-2018

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:56 PM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
YQR airport eyeing southern routes to promote growth in 2018. The Regina Airport's new CEO has high hopes for 2018, including service to Denver.

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...growth-in-2018

This is all propaganda. YQR & YXE have been "actively seeking" additional routes and carriers for years now. Though I'd suggest this has been accelerated since the loss of United Service. I feel if Canadian airlines aren't willing to pick up the "slack" why would a US airline do so. Furthermore, with Canada's new ULCC coming online which promise to serve secondary airports, none have announced a Saskatchewan airport. I think YQR & YXE are at a stalemate and will have to accept that the services they hold will expand very little beyond this.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
This is all propaganda. YQR & YXE have been "actively seeking" additional routes and carriers for years now. Though I'd suggest this has been accelerated since the loss of United Service. I feel if Canadian airlines aren't willing to pick up the "slack" why would a US airline do so. Furthermore, with Canada's new ULCC coming online which promise to serve secondary airports, none have announced a Saskatchewan airport. I think YQR & YXE are at a stalemate and will have to accept that the services they hold will expand very little beyond this.
My guess is that both are hoping and praying to be included in the new Westje/Delta cross border partnership. They’re also hoping that Air Canada and United team up to create one of their own.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...ross-b-443923/

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:52 PM

I don't get the Denver thing. AC wants us to fly through Calgary and SK is unimportant to UA. WestJet and Delta on the other hand would only fly to a Delta hub, meaning MSP or SLC.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 8:32 PM

They plan on upgrading the drop off and pick up area at the airport, this should improve what it looks like out front I hope.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4063292/s...rking-options/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan