HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 5:01 AM
surely you agree with me

^ i agree...it looks less 'big league' but for a 30 000 seat stadium it is a better configuration....obviously for 60 000 seats it doesnt work but for a smaller stadium keeping all the seats between the goal lines means better views...

i dont think people in winnipeg realize this yet.....i sit in section S and have asked a number of people where they will sit next year and they all balk at sitting in the end zone where the comparable section will be....its going to be a rude awakening when you were used to being 25 rows up on the 20 yard line and all of a sudden your same seats are 10 rows up in the north corner.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 1:50 AM

Winnipeg's new stadium has a name: Investors Groups Field http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...135578118.html

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 2:18 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post

Winnipeg's new stadium has a name: Investors Groups Field...
It has a real nice ring to it.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 7:16 AM

Gene Simmons was at the Grey Cup?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 10:25 AM
I put the F-U in FUN

^Yeah, i'm pretty sure that was him.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 10:26 AM
Reason and Freedom

Yes, he was there and that was him. Earlier in the season, he and his entire family attended another Lions game at Empire Field; they were promoting something or another.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 10:41 AM
I put the F-U in FUN

Here's Victoria's contribution to the thread, the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre. It's a decent little arena that seats around 7000, I just wish it had a longer name.

Picture taken from the arena's own website: http://www.saveonfoodsmemorialcentre...w/buildinginfo

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 4:06 PM

I know we are off the subject now. But I thought the talk on attendance figures was cool so I created a table on Winnipeg's attendance figures as far back as I could find (which sadly is only 2005). It is pretty cool to see. If anyone else could create similar tables for their respective cities it would be cool to contrast and compare. Maybe even some heated debates over how good each cities fans are.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 5:39 PM

Here is a link to all cfl teams attendance since 1946 http://www.profootballarchives.com/index.html

Winnipeg has one of the most steady fan bases in the cfl the lowest point being the Reinbold era 1997-1998 and the glory days being the Brock- Clements era of 1980-1987 and a few good years being 2001,2007,2011

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^ i agree...it looks less 'big league' but for a 30 000 seat stadium it is a better configuration....obviously for 60 000 seats it doesnt work but for a smaller stadium keeping all the seats between the goal lines means better views...

i dont think people in winnipeg realize this yet.....i sit in section S and have asked a number of people where they will sit next year and they all balk at sitting in the end zone where the comparable section will be....its going to be a rude awakening when you were used to being 25 rows up on the 20 yard line and all of a sudden your same seats are 10 rows up in the north corner.
I'm a Lions season ticket holder, and I prefer the end zone seats, and I'll tell you why. I coach football, and I like to see the whole play unfold. When you're sitting along the sidelines, particularly if you have a seat down low, you tend to watch the ball. The line blocking is difficult to pick up, and it's difficult to watch the receivers run their patterns and the defense react. When you're sitting in the end zone, your field of vision covers everything -- the QB, the line play, the receivers, even the officials. You can see it all within your field of vision, simply by moving your eyes (not your head), you can switch your attention from the pocket to the receiver making a double move along the sidelines. You can see the pulling guard make the lead block on the running plays.

If you're an observer of the game, you'll probably prefer the endzone seats.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 10:41 PM

Nice analysis there steveston when I was at this year's east final here in Winnipeg I bought endzone seats because I could see so much more of the action.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 4:00 AM
The New Republic

Would be nice to see the Bombers sell out their new stadium this season. Perhaps they'll even configure it at 40,000 for a few big games like the home opener.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 3:56 PM
Reason and Freedom

New stadium in Regina could break ground in 2013: http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=383164

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 5:37 PM
Community Guy

Mandel thinks arena will cost less than $450 Million
2:50pm
Click here to email Scott Johnston
12/20/2011

Mayor Stephen Mandel says he anticipates the actual cost of Edmonton's downtown arena will be lower than $450 million.
"It's going to have to be less than $450 million," said Mandel in his annual year end interview with iNews880.

And, the mayor's confidence comes from the fact that prices may be hot in Fort MacMurray, but here, there are enough contractors who want to work close to Edmonton and are willing to keep costs reasonable.

http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1628887

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 7:43 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton

Dec 20 Arena Update - Interesting to see the community rink still being mentioned...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 8:07 PM

If that Regina stadium looks anything like the rendering it will be freakin sweet!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 8:12 PM
Community Guy

^yup... smokin design.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 8:30 PM

That rendering they show in the article is not the actuale one that was proposed. Here is a link to the one proposed for the cost of 430mil!!

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=188287

I hope we get this!!!

Heres another link to a youtube video if your intrested prepared by the city

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...1397l0.5.3l8l0

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 7:44 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^
Glad to see they are still pursuing a new "Entertainment Complex" in Regina. Really hope it gets done.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 4:01 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton moving forward...

Downtown Arena Timelines

City Council agreed on October 26 to move ahead with the design of a new downtown arena and approved a revised negotiated framework for the project. The table below outlines the projected timeline for the next steps in the development of the arena.

Decision Point
Estimated Timing
Council approval of land purchase October 14, 2011
Council approval of revised framework October 26, 2011
Council approval of capital project for design at cost of $30 million October 26, 2011
Council approval of Capital City Downtown Community Revitalization Levy boundary October 26, 2011
Council approval of borrowing bylaws for land and design November 9, 2011
Council approval of schematic design 2nd quarter, 2012
Council approval of Guaranteed Maximum Price November 2012
Council approval of capital projects for arena building and adjacent infrastructure November 2012
Council approval of borrowing bylaw for arena project November 2012
Borrowing for arena project Based on construction schedule

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...timelines.aspx

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada