HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 7:19 PM
don't listen to 720

Photos of bike stuff in NYC

I was in New York last weekend. I took a lot of pictures, like I always do when I go anywhere, but because I always do that I'm like a year behind on my photoshop color correcting.

But Girlfriend is the car-and-bike-sharing coordinator for a local government and wanted pictures of the various biking infrastructure stuff right away, so I obliged.

Here they are.

The totally awesome bike lane on 9th Avenue:

The less awesome but still neat lane on Herald Square, in front of Macy's:

And the one on West Street:

The special bike signal on West Street:

A busy bike parking area in Williamsburg:

Brass bike lane marker on West Street:

A ghost bike, which Girlfriend tells me are put up at intersections where someone is killed in a biking accident:

An unusual step-through frame (Girlfriend says this is "sexy"):

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 7:43 PM
Bombshell Vintage

sweet tour idea. we need more threads like this!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 9:45 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Interesting.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 9:51 PM

Great shots - you do a good job of showing the bike lane - something we DON'T have in Chicago - our lanes are painted on and used for Valet parking and double parking.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 11:07 PM

There's very few bike lanes in New York City that are separated by anything other than a painted line as well. At least Chicago has the bike path that runs almost the entire length of the lakefront. Most of the bike lanes in NY get used in improper ways (think double-parking). I've actually never seen this particular bike lane. What street is that?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 2:11 AM

Thanks.
So it looks like the nice wide new 9th Ave bike lane is one way only, just like the street. My city would cram two or three bike lanes into that space.
Is there a northbound one on 8th?

I bet you could really fly if you hit the lights right.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyt23 View Post
There's very few bike lanes in New York City that are separated by anything other than a painted line as well.
If you are talking directly on-street, this is correct, but 9th Ave. is the first of many separated street lanes throughout NYC.

8th Avenue is next. Lower Broadway is after that.

There are also some older on-street separated bikeways that run in boulevard ("parkway")medians. Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn and Pelham Parkway and Moshulu Parkway in the Bronx are probably the most famous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyt23 View Post
At least Chicago has the bike path that runs almost the entire length of the lakefront.
I love the Chicago bike path, and use it frequently when visiting my sister. Lots of places around the country, including every borough in NYC, have similar paths. In Brooklyn, I can bike along the ocean/harbor from the Coney Island area up towards Sunset Park. There will evenutally be a continuous Brooklyn shore bikeway.
http://www.brooklyngreenway.org/

In Manhattan, you can now bike along the Hudson from the northern tip of Manhattan all the way to the southern tip of Manhattan, and then back up the East River until Midtown. The break in Midtown will be filled by a partially funded walkway that will be suspended over the water. The northern portion is in place, and will reuse a temporary roadway from FDR drive reconstruction.

Then after the Upper East Side waterfront bike path, there is another gap between 120th and 155th Street. This second gap is also going to be completed, but is only partially funded.

Here's a map of the current Manhattan greenway:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/edc/pdf/greenway_mapside.pdf

On the Jersey side, the state is building a continous waterfront bikeway across from Manhattan from Bayonne to Fort Lee, which is probably about 20 miles.

Queens has bayfront and oceanfront bike paths through Gateway National Park.

The Bronx is building a Hudson River bike path in Riverdale. You can already bike to City Island.

Staten Island has an oceanfront bike path along the boardwalk.

A collection of all bike paths in NYC:

http://www.nycbikemaps.com/

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 8:03 AM
Forum Administrator

Cool thread idea!

There's one like this about 2 miles away from our house. Sad.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 10:35 PM
Candy Jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Cool thread idea!

There's one like this about 2 miles away from our house. Sad.
Try biking by about six of them a day and being able to at least name two or three of the victims. It's incredibly sad and a little bit frightening.

Anyway- while the 9th ave bike lane rules, the other separated one near Herald Square is a nightmare. I generally skip it and just ride in traffic if I have the misfortune of having to go through central midtown. The pedicab drivers block the thing and move about half a mile an hour. It's also difficult to re-merge with traffic when the dividers end at a six-way intersection.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 9:30 PM
Forum Administrator

Yeah. I just heard a few days ago of another one. My sister's fiance's co-worker was killed on Saturday. He was training on US 290 about 70 miles west of Austin for a 100 mile triathlon when a car hit him from behind.

Cyclist killed on U.S. 290 remembered as great coach
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...02cyclist.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos