HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

International Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 7:36 PM

International Place | ? m | 22 fl | On Hold

From Nova Scotia Business Journal"

ECL announces major development for downtown Halifax print this article
EDITED BY STAFF, TRANSCONTINENTAL MEDIA
The Nova Scotia Business Journal

HALIFAX – ECL Developments Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Empire Company Limited, today announced its plans for a state-of-the-art office development in Halifax’s downtown core. The proposed 22-storey development, to be named International Place, will be built with a focus on environmentally sustainable technologies, with a goal of attaining a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold standard.

With approximately 450,000 total square feet of hotel, retail and office capacity, International Place is expected to help satisfy current and projected demand for new Class A office space in Halifax’s CBD. The building will also accommodate tenant parking in an underground facility.

ECL retained internationally recognized Toronto-based architectural firm Zeidler Partnership Architects to ensure the design is respectful of history while bringing a sophisticated and modern structure to Halifax. The flatiron-inspired building, which combines soft lines of transparent glass throughout, will occupy a footprint of approximately 24,000 square feet at its base and each floor of Class A office space will have approximately 19,000 square feet of rentable floor space.

“We have worked hard to ensure this world class design is modern, iconic and respectful of the history that surrounds it,” said Donald Clow, president of ECL Developments Limited. “We feel this building represents not only the future of the downtown, but also hope its presence will help to increase economic activity by bringing more people to work, shop, eat, and explore the history and variety of downtown Halifax.”

Consistent with the existing development agreement for the site, updated development plans submitted today for the location known as the “triangle lands” at the north end of Granville Mall adjacent to Barrington Place, were a result of consultation with HRM staff.

“Beautiful and livable cities have a blend of modern and historic architecture, so we have sought input throughout the planning process to ensure we reflect this spirit, evolving the design by adjusting height, softening lines and seeking ways to complement the existing area,” concluded Clow. “This will be a landmark building.”

International Place will be ECL’s second major downtown development in recent years. In 2007, ECL completed the development of the Martello Condominiums located in downtown Halifax. – Staff

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 7:46 PM

Anyone know how to change the thread title once submitted? I should have called it "International Place" rather than "Triangle Lands"...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 7:54 PM
hi

I don't know, but sweet news! I wonder if it's still the same/similar to this design from awhile back...

photo from http://www.whwarchitects.com/

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
I don't know, but sweet news! I wonder if it's still the same/similar to this design from awhile back...

photo from http://www.whwarchitects.com/
Completely new design then what is shown.

Somehow this is not really new news as this has been around for sometime.

There is mention of it in allnovascotia as well, with states there is no confirmed construction date.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 9:17 PM

They just showed a picture of it on the ctv news and it looks nothing like the old design. Its a modern flatiron. Metro actually has a little blurb about it.
http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/Local/article/77731

Last edited by spaustin; Jul 2, 2008 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
Anyone know how to change the thread title once submitted? I should have called it "International Place" rather than "Triangle Lands"...
Should be able to just edit your first post.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 9:31 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Title updated.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 10:08 PM

Cool! I like that much better. Is that also designed by WHW? BTW... the Metro blurb says the concept was approved in '78?! Whoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
They just showed a picture of it on the ctv news and it looks nothing like the old design. Its a modern flatiron. Metro actually has a little blurb about it.
http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/Local/article/77731

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 10:54 PM

Saw it on CTV as well. Looks Fantastic! Also news from Emera/NSP on their plans pending tomorrow...

Here is an article about it in the NS Business Journal..looks like it will be a LEEDS gold site..

http://www.novascotiabusinessjournal...=149090&sc=107

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 11:33 PM

Great news. Just judging from that one picture it looks like a nice building.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Great news. Just judging from that one picture it looks like a nice building.
i've had the opportunity to see the majority of the renderings and i can say it is a very attractive building.

that being said i want to know when they intend to start.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 12:51 AM

Amazing! I've been waiting for so long for a development of this scale and quality in the downtown. It has the power to totally change the perception of Halifax. I can't wait to see the full renderings.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 1:13 AM

A rendering is available on allnovascotia.com in blk&white. The color ones look better, but still nice design regardless.

Also information on NSPI and Emera's plans, looks like they are keeping the shell of the power station.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 1:17 AM

Can you access that without a subscription?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 1:25 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Full rendering:

Hopefully we'll see some better renderings soon, but based on this I think the building looks quite good.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Can you access that without a subscription?
Someone123 thks

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 1:29 AM

Looks good.....although it looks like it should be taller

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 2:09 AM

I wonder how this will look from Granville Mall. The "pointy" side looks cool of course... but the back end might not look as cool. I like it so far tho'.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 2:13 AM

*exploding with excitement*

Ladies and gentlemen, prepare to mobilize. We must crush our NIMBY opposition.

Seriously though, any arguments regarding height are invalidated by the fact that the area is already the most highrise-heavy area in the city; Duke, Barrington, CIBC, Delta, Purdy's I & II, Cogswell, 1801 Hollis.

Any debate over whether or not the development is "in keeping" with the existing area really shouldn't be taken as seriously as it is. It's a matter of taste and opinion of aesthetics, neither of which have legal bearing, and I don't know why we pay as much attention to these people as we do. I like diversity of architectural styles; it makes for varied and interesting neighbourhoods full of neat contrasting sights. They like to pretend they're living in some sort of idealistic eternal 19th century seaside utopia that never actually existed. One opinion doesn't trump the other, and the planning laws ought to decide, laws that are in place to ensure the healthy growth of our city. Yes, I am slightly frustrated.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
*exploding with excitement*

Ladies and gentlemen, prepare to mobilize. We must crush our NIMBY opposition.

Seriously though, any arguments regarding height are invalidated by the fact that the area is already the most highrise-heavy area in the city; Duke, Barrington, CIBC, Delta, Purdy's I & II, Cogswell, 1801 Hollis.
No worries with this one mate. This will be as of right development if i am not mistaken..they could start breaking ground tomorrow..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth