HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 12:30 AM
Master of the Universe

Quote:
You are looking at pictures of a looming scandal. The private airport authorities across Canada are all loading themselves down with debt and working on the assumption they would be able to recoup the expense through user fees based on traffic estimates that were unreasonable before oil prices began to spiral out of control.
The GTAA is hoping to recoup some of the costs of its expansion through real estate investment with over 10 million leaseable square feet proposed.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 1:59 AM
All I do is score goals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
^Yes, yes...Dubai's growth plan is to build the largest _____ (Fill in the blank). Business case is simple...build the largest for bragging rights.

I doubt it'll ever top the busiest (right now, Atlanta at 89m, O'Hare at 76m, and LHR at 68m). Beijing is over 50m now (9th busiest), and with the growth in China, I wouldn't be surprised if it grew quicker than most...especially considering the gas prices, routes being scaled back, etc. Dubai has seen huge growth (had about 35m in 2007), and I can see 50-60m.
That airport in Dubai will be new, so the 35 million passengers will probably be transfered to the new airport. The 10-15% growth annually should continue so if you calculate, by 2017 the airport will probably get 100 million and will be the largest.
Chicago: Part 2
Naperville, IL: Part 3

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 10:30 PM

Here's a few photos of Winnipeg International Airport. James Armstrong Richardson International well under way, along with a new Greyhound bus terminal, and Canada Post facility...

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 11:11 PM
Community Guy

^sexy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 2:56 AM
All I do is score goals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^sexy
It's only an airport
Chicago: Part 2
Naperville, IL: Part 3

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 8:16 PM

thats pretty neat to combine the greyhound and the airport

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 9:08 PM
Closed account

While I agree that Toronto's current expansion is cold, it does have a minimalistic art gallery type of feel to it. Vancouver is my favorite, I could live in that airport, Toronto's would be a great place for a rave or a night club.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 10:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Pearson is nice but to be honest I'd rather just go to an average airport and not have to pay ticket prices that must support some of the highest landing fees on the planet.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 3:38 AM
Capitalist

Having resently been to Vancouver Intl.... I was reminded how beautiful the new expansion really is.

It is very well laid out and the new food court area is very appealing.

With that said I have also resently seen the Inchon (Seoul) South Korea Airport and Singapore Intl ... AMAZING!! Both are absolutely incredible.

The best airports I have ever seen.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 3:51 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Pearson is nice but to be honest I'd rather just go to an average airport and not have to pay ticket prices that must support some of the highest landing fees on the planet.

As would many but an average airport near Toronto like Hamilton or Buffalo just doesn't have as many destinations to choose from.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 6:38 PM
with glowing hearts

Ottawa eyes runway extensions
Transport Canada explores new safety measures for major airports

Jack Branswell and Phil Couvrette, Canwest News Service
Published: Monday, July 14, 2008

OTTAWA -- More than three years after a fiery Air France crash at Toronto airport, Transport Canada is still trying to decide whether to require runway extensions at Toronto, Vancouver and other major airports that do not already have them.

Aircraft going off the end of runways is one of the most frequent accidents involving airliners, with at least 10 such incidents in bad weather worldwide since the Air France crash.

Yet the Transportation Safety Board's final report on the Air France crash watered down how the lack of a runway extension contributed to passenger injuries and damage to the plane, according to documents obtained by Canwest News Service.

Transport Canada is considering requiring 300-metre Runway End Safe Areas as a safety measure, which was a key recommendation of the TSB's report into the Air France crash.

Vancouver doesn't have RESAs because they aren't required by Transport Canada, said Brett Patterson, a spokesman for the Vancouver Airport Authority.

An early version of the TSB's Air France report noted if Runway 24L at Pearson Airport had a safety area at the end of it "the damage to the aircraft and injuries to the passengers would certainly have been reduced."

When the report was published that section was changed to read: "the damage to the aircraft and injuries to the passengers may have been reduced."

The Air France plane travelled about 300 metres off the runway before stopping -- but not before it went through ditches, fences and into a steep ravine and that the injuries and the plane damage "was incurred due to these."

All 309 passengers and crew survived but 33 people were taken to hospital, including 12 who were treated for serious injuries.

In a memorandum dated a little more than a month after the TSB delivered its recommendations on the crash landing, the Standards Branch of Transport Canada noted that "current airport certification standards are under review with the participation of industry experts."

That position hasn't changed from January of this year, when the latest memo was written.

A spokesman said Transport Canada is reviewing studies from ICAO and the U.S. on runway design standards and RESAs "and this review has resulted in a recommendation to amend the Canadian regulations and standards," but the department will consult with the aviation industry before finalizing changes.

Toronto's airport authority, facing a lawsuit over the Air France crash, would not comment.

Montreal recently refurbished its airport and runways and it brought them up to the most recent standards of International Civil Aviation Organization, including adding RESAs.

RESAs don't necessarily have to be paved or cemented runways. For example, Edmonton has fields that would stop a plane. Some U.S airports -- RESAs are required at major airports -- use a material that crushes under the plane's weight and slows momentum. Typically, that material is a wall of concrete puffed so full of air that it has a consistency similar of styrofoam.

© The Vancouver Sun 2008

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 7:02 PM

Fantastic pics of Winnipeg's airport expansion, Keng.

Here's a couple of pics I took of the model of Winnipeg's airport back in 2006..

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 10:16 PM

^^^
Thanks, a few more....

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 5:01 PM
The good old days are now

I thought I would bring this thread back from the dead.

The underground train station at Dorval Airport in Montreal is pretty much complete. The second picture is over a year old.

At the moment the Airport Authority (Aéroports de Montréal) and the Regional Transit Authority (Agence métropolitaine de transport) are bickering over which line is best to connect Dorval Airport to downtown by rail. Aéroports prevers the CN route (in red), while the AMT prefers the CP route (in yellow).

Both have a lot of pluses and minues.

Here is the ADM's proposal. It involves contracting out a private train service to Bombardier. It would be direct between the Airport and Central Station. It would run at intervals of 20 minutes and have only 3 cars.
Video Link

The AMT on the other hand proposes linking the airport with a new transit hub to be located across the street from the Bell Centre and Windsor Station. Trains would run on its Dorion–Rigaud Line commuter rail line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Gazette
Trains would circumvent the Bell Centre using elevated tracks over St. Antoine. Trains would arrive and leave from platforms in a new building on Peel and St. Antoine, Gauthier said.

Passengers would enter via Windsor Station's la Gauchetière St. entrance, where they would find ticket counters and commercial space, Gauthier said.

To reach train, bus and tramway platforms, passengers would then use an aerial passageway over St. Antoine.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 5:22 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

winnipegs airport

soruce: http://www.james2010.ca <<more here

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 9:29 PM

St. John's Airport is working on getting provincial and federal funding for a $25million category 3 landing system. The new landing system will mean that 99%of flights will be able to land in St. John's even when it's foggy. I cannot find the exact story on it but this story is about plans for a business park around the airport and it also mentions the new landing system.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 1:57 AM

http://flyeia.com/media/7858/447.wmv

Cool run-through of YEG's expansion. Note the large glass walkway has been changed to a frosted / darker glass I believe, for obvious reasons.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 3:02 AM

Here's a little more info about the airport at St. John's. Because of the high number of fog days these improvements are especially important -

Quote:
NL: St. John’s airport seeks funding for growth
By Terry Roberts Transcontinental Media
Source: The Telegram, Jan. 11, 2010

ST. JOHN’S, NL — The body that operates St. John’s International Airport is attempting to deal with technological shortcomings and staggering growth.

To do this, the authority will need money — and lots of it — to install a Category III instrument landing system and, further into the future, expand the overcrowded main terminal building. The projects have a combined price tag of $60 million-plus. . .

A Category III landing system and related upgrades is estimated to cost $25 million, and would practically eliminate diversions or delays because of low visibility conditions. Delays and diversions affect approximately 70,000 passengers annually and is most severe in the spring.

A terminal expansion was completed in 2002 at a cost of more than $40 million, but passenger volumes have increased well beyond the projections of those who designed the building. . . .

The terminal is now handling nearly 1.3 million passengers annually, making it the ninth busiest airport in Canada. . .
Source: http://www.dailybusinessbuzz.ca/2010...upport-growth/

Last edited by Architype; May 23, 2010 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 12:25 PM

I don't see much here from Halifax so I am re-posting these photos by ALPS of the Halifax section. I think that Halifax has done a good job (in terms of square footage added versus dollars spent).

It isn't any thing spectacular like in Toronto, but certainly functional and I think that it looks much better than prior to expansion. Halifax been spending a significant amount on terminal and parking expansions each year.

Thanks to alps. (from November 12 2009)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
A few photos from a couple days ago

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 1:42 PM
R2-D2's army of death

We have some sexy airports in this country.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada