HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #81  
Old Posted May 19, 2009, 9:48 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 39,515
Calgary is the unfortunate hub of the west which is why they are so high
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #82  
Old Posted May 19, 2009, 10:05 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sunnyside, Calgary
Posts: 15,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Calgary is the unfortunate hub of the west which is why they are so high
...and Toronto is the unfortunate hub of Canada which is why they are so high.



Why is it "unfortunate" to be a hub? Or were you simply implying that unfortunately Edmonton has lower numbers just due to the fact that Calgary is a hub in the west?

I hate when it gets so testy with regards to YYC/YEG.

I don't know of anybody personally that would drive the 10+ hours to YVR to save some money, if they would after the drive anyways.
__________________
Proud supporter of Naheed Nenshi as Mayor!
Bigtime Goes to Antarctica
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #83  
Old Posted May 19, 2009, 10:08 PM
ue ue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonchuk
Posts: 7,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Calgary is the unfortunate hub of the west which is why they are so high
How is it not Vancouver though? cgy could be a second hub, but Vancouver has many American flights and is the gateway to the pacific.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #84  
Old Posted May 19, 2009, 10:13 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 7,421
All I can say is go Halifax

With the major Tall Ships Festivals, new airport renovations, Buskers and other great things happen here this year I think our numbers will be even higher for 2009.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #85  
Old Posted May 19, 2009, 10:14 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 39,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
How is it not Vancouver though? cgy could be a second hub, but Vancouver has many American flights and is the gateway to the pacific.
gateway to the pacific yes, hub of the west no
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #86  
Old Posted May 19, 2009, 10:15 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 39,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
...and Toronto is the unfortunate hub of Canada which is why they are so high.



Why is it "unfortunate" to be a hub? Or were you simply implying that unfortunately Edmonton has lower numbers just due to the fact that Calgary is a hub in the west?

I hate when it gets so testy with regards to YYC/YEG.

I don't know of anybody personally that would drive the 10+ hours to YVR to save some money, if they would after the drive anyways.
hahaha touche

YEG gets absolutely screwed over because of YYC being the HUB and while we have made significant inroads into new routes, PAX, infrastructure... the perception is that YYC is Alberta's hub (and the west's).
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #87  
Old Posted May 19, 2009, 10:16 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sunnyside, Calgary
Posts: 15,910
I hear that, and of course over the last how many years has the city been fighting over what to do with the city centre airport? That has not helped get a concrete plan in place for YEG until recently, in my amatuer observations of the situation.
__________________
Proud supporter of Naheed Nenshi as Mayor!
Bigtime Goes to Antarctica
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #88  
Old Posted May 19, 2009, 10:18 PM
graupner's Avatar
graupner graupner is offline
Headquarter: Montreal
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
I wonder why the Québec cities don't push their weight as much as other places. I think Québec would be more touristy than Calgary therefore more people coming in. And Montréal is behind too, in terms of the top 3, considering Vancouver is so much higher. And I always hear how Montréal is a great destination though.
you can't drive or take the train to Calgary from NY, Boston or Washington.

But to Montreal, you certainly can and it is less expensive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #89  
Old Posted May 19, 2009, 10:18 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,188
Well I'm sure Coldsrx meant of the prairies, Calgary is certainly the hub of that area however if you want to fly international you will most likely have to get routed out of Vancouver or Toronto, although Calgary is gaining more intl flights.

One thing to keep in mind when comparing these numbers, as has been alluded to before, is the effect of other airports and competing forms of travel. In Toronto Montreal and Vancouver there are all secondary airports (Toronto Island, Mirabel, and Abbotsford) respectively which detract somewhat from the numbers of the main airports. Also important is the presence of alternate forms of transit, being VIA in Montreal and Toronto and float planes in Vancouver. These alternate methods of transit detract from the numbers of passengers who would be flying something like AC Jazz if these alternate services did not exist.

Proximity to American airports is also a major factor. I know personally I have flown out of Sea-Tac and Detroit/Buffalo almost as many times as I have YVR and Pearson due to the major cost savings. Unfortunately for Calgary (although fortunately for it's airport authority) there isn't a large American city nearby to provide it with this alternative.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #90  
Old Posted May 19, 2009, 10:22 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 39,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I hear that, and of course over the last how many years has the city been fighting over what to do with the city centre airport? That has not helped get a concrete plan in place for YEG until recently, in my amatuer observations of the situation.
the city centre airport has not, IMO, done anything +/- to YEG with regards to where we are at
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #91  
Old Posted May 19, 2009, 10:26 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sunnyside, Calgary
Posts: 15,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Well I'm sure Coldsrx meant of the prairies, Calgary is certainly the hub of that area however if you want to fly international you will most likely have to get routed out of Vancouver or Toronto, although Calgary is gaining more intl flights.
I would certainly hope someone travelling into Europe and points onward from there doesn't have to fly through YVR or YYZ now (barring those crazy will fly anywhere for a price people), Calgary's current European connections are:

-LHR with either BA daily, AC daily (2x daily in the summer)
-FRA with Lufthansa or AC (daily)
-AMS with KLM (4x weekly)
-plus a bunch of smaller services to places like Gatwick with the likes of Air Transat and some others.

Now if we are talking destinations like the pacific rim and south America then yes one would tend to be funneled through YVR and YYZ as Canadian hub connections.
__________________
Proud supporter of Naheed Nenshi as Mayor!
Bigtime Goes to Antarctica
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #92  
Old Posted May 19, 2009, 10:27 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 39,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Well I'm sure Coldsrx meant of the prairies, Calgary is certainly the hub of that area however if you want to fly international you will most likely have to get routed out of Vancouver or Toronto, although Calgary is gaining more intl flights.

actually i didn't for many people are routed through YYC in man/sask/ab rather than Van unless they proceed overseas... but within NA YYC is a popular transfer.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #93  
Old Posted May 19, 2009, 10:27 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sunnyside, Calgary
Posts: 15,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
the city centre airport has not, IMO, done anything +/- to YEG with regards to where we are at
Good to hear, glad my observations were of the amateur and incorrect nature!
__________________
Proud supporter of Naheed Nenshi as Mayor!
Bigtime Goes to Antarctica
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #94  
Old Posted May 19, 2009, 10:47 PM
Nicko999's Avatar
Nicko999 Nicko999 is offline
All I do is score goals!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 12,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
I'm a little bit surprised that Calgary appears to be almost as busy as Montreal in that stats. What happened to all the tourism industries in Montreal ? That place is a hot bed for many tourists (including myself, except I took the train to Montreal). I guess the concentration of business trips in Calgary more than make up that difference.

Montreal is close to some big cities like NYC, Washington, Boston, Philadelphia, Toronto, Ottawa. Calgary is not.
I always drive to go to Florida. It's easy, no mountains, nothing. You can also visit others cities if you use a car. As you see below, Calgary and Edmonton's traffic is mainly domestic.

Tourism is not the problem in Montreal, YUL have the largest % of international traffic even if it's competing against US airports and Pearson.
__________________
Montreal Alouettes: 2009 Grey Cup Champions!!!
Montreal Alouettes: 2010 Grey Cup Champions!!!BACK TO BACK
Chicago: Part 1
Chicago: Part 2
Naperville, IL: Part 3
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #95  
Old Posted May 19, 2009, 11:52 PM
O-Town Hockey's Avatar
O-Town Hockey O-Town Hockey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
Vancouver and Edmonton are "hubs" close by. Edmonton is less a hub. But how can you compete with big WJ and AC offices? We're expanding lots too.
I can't imagine anyone driving from Calgary to Vancouver to catch a flight, that's over 1000km! Montreal is the absolute furthest I would drive to for a flight and it's 150km. Toronto is 3.5-4 hours drive from Ottawa, during which time I could be 2/3 of the way to London, England. I guess distance is a relative term in Canada. Some people are willing to work hard for a deal and others are willing to pay for convenience. I'm a member of the latter.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #96  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 1:05 AM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is online now
514
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lille
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
I can't imagine anyone driving from Calgary to Vancouver to catch a flight, that's over 1000km! Montreal is the absolute furthest I would drive to for a flight and it's 150km. Toronto is 3.5-4 hours drive from Ottawa, during which time I could be 2/3 of the way to London, England. I guess distance is a relative term in Canada. Some people are willing to work hard for a deal and others are willing to pay for convenience. I'm a member of the latter.
I remember a guy on Greyhound that was going to Montreal to catch a flight, and he came all the way from Winnipeg.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #97  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 2:38 AM
craneSpotter's Avatar
craneSpotter craneSpotter is offline
is watching.
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Victoria - City of Gardens
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Well I'm sure Coldsrx meant of the prairies, Calgary is certainly the hub of that area...

One thing to keep in mind when comparing these numbers, as has been alluded to before, is the effect of other airports and competing forms of travel. In Toronto Montreal and Vancouver there are all secondary airports (Toronto Island, Mirabel, and Abbotsford) respectively which detract somewhat from the numbers of the main airports. Also important is the presence of alternate forms of transit, being VIA in Montreal and Toronto and float planes in Vancouver. These alternate methods of transit detract from the numbers of passengers who would be flying something like AC Jazz if these alternate services did not exist.

Proximity to American airports is also a major factor. I know personally I have flown out of Sea-Tac and Detroit/Buffalo almost as many times as I have YVR and Pearson due to the major cost savings. Unfortunately for Calgary (although fortunately for it's airport authority) there isn't a large American city nearby to provide it with this alternative.
YYC is the hub for the prairie provinces going east/BC (I know Sask folks that actually buy tickets to YYZ/YUL via YYC! - travel west to go east ) and YYC domestic numbers show this. YVR is the domestic hub for most of BC and Canadian International hub for travel east (Asia/Australia/Pacific Islands). YVR is geographically unsuited to be a 'Western Canada" hub for domestic travel.

I know LOTS of people who fly via Sea/Tac to points in Asia/US/Europe instead of YVR from Victoria. This is usually due to cost and/or schedule. I fly out of Seatac as much as YVR - Seatac is only a 20 min flight from Victoria and is just as busy as YYZ (32.3 million pass) with much better US connections than YVR.

I remember reading recently that Victoria's Harbour "airport" (flights to Seattle/Vancouver direct Harbour-Harbour) handles 250,000 passengers a year. That would be in addition to our main airport numbers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #98  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 3:22 AM
LFRENCH's Avatar
LFRENCH LFRENCH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by craneSpotter View Post
YYC is the hub for the prairie provinces going east/BC (I know Sask folks that actually buy tickets to YYZ/YUL via YYC! - travel west to go east ) and YYC domestic numbers show this. YVR is the domestic hub for most of BC and Canadian International hub for travel east (Asia/Australia/Pacific Islands). YVR is geographically unsuited to be a 'Western Canada" hub for domestic travel.

I know LOTS of people who fly via Sea/Tac to points in Asia/US/Europe instead of YVR from Victoria. This is usually due to cost and/or schedule. I fly out of Seatac as much as YVR - Seatac is only a 20 min flight from Victoria and is just as busy as YYZ (32.3 million pass) with much better US connections than YVR.

I remember reading recently that Victoria's Harbour "airport" (flights to Seattle/Vancouver direct Harbour-Harbour) handles 250,000 passengers a year. That would be in addition to our main airport numbers.
I agree and living on the island i would rather connect in edmonton or Calgary, and if going to teh states it varies.

keep in mind the cost though abuot the east west thing, I once flew to my house in El Paso TX, and ended up connecting in Houston as it was $200 than doing a connection in PHX at that time.
__________________
To Canucks fans I would like to remind them that, the "Garage" is the home of tools
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #99  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 4:40 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,651
Until 2005, St. John's NL would have been #10; it was passed by Kelowna in 2006.

Can anyone provide a list of all Canadian Airports that are International? Wikipedia seems to have questionable info.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #100  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 4:50 AM
98fb 98fb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Panorama Ridge - Surrey
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Montreal is close to some big cities like NYC, Washington, Boston, Philadelphia, Toronto, Ottawa. Calgary is not.
I always drive to go to Florida. It's easy, no mountains, nothing. You can also visit others cities if you use a car. As you see below, Calgary and Edmonton's traffic is mainly domestic.

Tourism is not the problem in Montreal, YUL have the largest % of international traffic even if it's competing against US airports and Pearson.

driving to florida. lol!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
   
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:40 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.