HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 12:41 AM
RyanfromTexas's Avatar
RyanfromTexas RyanfromTexas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 83
SAN ANTONIO │ Kallison Square │ 21 FLOORS │ Proposed









Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 1:56 AM
AwesomeSAView AwesomeSAView is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 143
Interesting preliminary look!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 2:06 AM
SAguy SAguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 360
It will look better taller and slimmer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 2:23 AM
Texan101's Avatar
Texan101 Texan101 is offline
Onward
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Greater London
Posts: 576
Should fit in rather well with the new Frost Tower on that side of downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 2:29 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,374
If all goes as planned, there should be anywhere from 8 to 10 tower cranes up in the urban core within the next year.

Frost tower
Avenue B and 9th
Thompson Hotel and Residences
Kallison Square
Canopy Hotel
Cambria Hotel
JMJ Tower
Lower Broadway office tower
Hemisfair development (multiple high rises)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 2:49 AM
RyanfromTexas's Avatar
RyanfromTexas RyanfromTexas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 83
height

It looks just slightly shorter than the old Frost which should put it in the 250 to 300 ft range.

Yay progress!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 12:55 PM
AwesomeSAView AwesomeSAView is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
If all goes as planned, there should be anywhere from 8 to 10 tower cranes up in the urban core within the next year.

Frost tower
Avenue B and 9th
Thompson Hotel and Residences
Kallison Square
Canopy Hotel
Cambria Hotel
JMJ Tower
Lower Broadway office tower
Hemisfair development (multiple high rises)
Isn't there a multi-story apartment building going up right on the Riverwalk also??
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 1:06 PM
Rynetwo Rynetwo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Isn't there a multi-story apartment building going up right on the Riverwalk also??
I think you are talking about Floodgate. The best looking of all that is designed with the exception of the Frost tower.

Great things are happening.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 1:21 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Er uh...
Posts: 6,231
Barf!


It's good that something is going in there, that it's 21 floors, and that they're retaining the ground level retail. It will definitely help the neighborhood. But the design... ugh. Plus, if and when something goes up in the empty lot next to it, the pool will be inside a canyon. Why are good architects so hard to find? Or is it bad clients tearing apart good architects' designs? Lots to be critical of, but still a net positive I guess.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 2:13 PM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
I think you are talking about Floodgate. The best looking of all that is designed with the exception of the Frost tower.

Great things are happening.
Wait...the Foodgate is under construction?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 2:16 PM
wwmiv wwmiv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia
Posts: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Barf!


It's good that something is going in there, that it's 21 floors, and that they're retaining the ground level retail. It will definitely help the neighborhood. But the design... ugh. Plus, if and when something goes up in the empty lot next to it, the pool will be inside a canyon. Why are good architects so hard to find? Or is it bad clients tearing apart good architects' designs? Lots to be critical of, but still a net positive I guess.
Bad clients, probably.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 2:57 PM
JRG1974 JRG1974 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
If all goes as planned, there should be anywhere from 8 to 10 tower cranes up in the urban core within the next year.

Frost tower
Avenue B and 9th
Thompson Hotel and Residences
Kallison Square
Canopy Hotel
Cambria Hotel
JMJ Tower
Lower Broadway office tower
Hemisfair development (multiple high rises)
There will probably be at least 2 more tower cranes at the CPS remodel of the ATT buildings off the river. That is a large footprint and tall structures. Also, at least one more crane with the new Federal Courthouse.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 3:04 PM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG1974 View Post
There will probably be at least 2 more tower cranes at the CPS remodel of the ATT buildings off the river. That is a large footprint and tall structures. Also, at least one more crane with the new Federal Courthouse.
I'm not quite sure if cranes will be used for the CPS HQ remodel. No height is being added. I think it'll go the way of the SA Children's Hospital remodel downtown. I could be wrong as I don't know much about it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 3:49 PM
JRG1974 JRG1974 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I'm not quite sure if cranes will be used for the CPS HQ remodel. No height is being added. I think it'll go the way of the SA Children's Hospital remodel downtown. I could be wrong as I don't know much about it.
The reason I think there will be cranes is that they are pulling off and redoing the sides of the building. They are going to have to have some kind of heavy lift equipment. They may be able to do it with one, but they might as well have an extra for the parking garage and the solar panels they want to install.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 11:11 PM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 223
Well, we've seen worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Barf!


It's good that something is going in there, that it's 21 floors, and that they're retaining the ground level retail. It will definitely help the neighborhood. But the design... ugh. Plus, if and when something goes up in the empty lot next to it, the pool will be inside a canyon. Why are good architects so hard to find? Or is it bad clients tearing apart good architects' designs? Lots to be critical of, but still a net positive I guess.
I agree regarding the placement of the pool.

As I understand it, this is preliminary, so hopefully improvements to the design will come. Someone up-thread said that skinnier and taller would be nice, and I have to agree.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 12:25 AM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Er uh...
Posts: 6,231
I actually count 23 floors in the renderings.

And come to think of it, wasn't there a proposal in Austin about 8-10 years ago that looked a lot like this?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 3:15 AM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 227
I'm interested in seeing what they're gonna do with the gap between the old buildings on Dolorosa, but none of the renderings show it! It would be cool if it served as a lobby for the residences, but I'm afraid it's just gonna be a driveway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4240...2!8i6656?hl=en
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 7:40 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
400 feet tall
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: sunshine and taco trucks on every corner
Posts: 43,952
Whoa! That's a cool design. I agree that the pool should be on the other side facing the bulk of downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanfromTexas View Post
It looks just slightly shorter than the old Frost which should put it in the 250 to 300 ft range.

Yay progress!!
I'm thinking like 275 to 280 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I actually count 23 floors in the renderings.

And come to think of it, wasn't there a proposal in Austin about 8-10 years ago that looked a lot like this?
I can't think of one, no.
__________________
it's just a jump to the left and then a step to the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 1:32 AM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Er uh...
Posts: 6,231
OK, it looked a little bit like this, Kevin. Look at the roof line. Wasn't there something similar in size and shape with a similar roof in the vicinity of 12th and Congress?

On a different note, I'm coming to terms with this. It will be a plus for SA.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 4:00 PM
The Model's Avatar
The Model The Model is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 406
I like it, but find it a bit bulky.
I actually like the North side and south side of the building and wish there was an opening in the middle. So it appears to be 2 towers on top of the parking garage.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:58 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.