HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

400 Park Avenue South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 7:31 PM
low-riding

Smile NEW YORK | 400 Park Ave South l 476 FT / 145 M l 42 FLOORS

400 Park Ave South
476 Ft / 145 M
39 Floors
Christian Portzamparc and Gary Handel

Christian Portzamparc and Gary Handel are proposing this 476 ft tower at the south west corner of east 28th st and Park Ave. They have also responsible for the very popular LVMH tower on 57th street. The site is currently a parking lot that is operating. The tower will sit on top of the 28th st stop on the 6 train and has a subway entrance included in the design.

This is an older proposal but everytime i think its dead, something will come out that negates that. fingers crossed.

8/24/08

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 12:25 AM
BANNED

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/0..._happening.php

Park Avenue South's Fortress of Glassitude Actually Happening?Thursday, June 3, 2010, by Joey

The totally bonkers 40-story apartment tower planned at 400 Park Avenue South has been kicking around since the first half of the last decade, and in recent years has been tossed onto the pile of fantastical renderings that will never see the light of day. That was then! Now New York is enmeshed in the biggest Christian invasion since the Crusades, and French starchitect Christian de Portzamparc's glassy giant might actually have a pulse. (C-deP also has Carnegie 57 and Riverside Center on the boards.)

The site is a parking lot at 28th Street and the adjacent eight-story building at 396 Park Avenue South. Developers Albert and Roy Kalimian bought up mucho air rights along Madison Avenue to set the stage for the 436-unit building (which would also have retail and a new 6 train entrance) before the project went into hibernation. Now the parking lot is closed and a demolition permit has been approved for 396 Park Ave. South. There's oodles more evidence that the Fortress of Glassitude (working title; we're open to suggestions!) is on the way.

Such as this stuff. >>
A Curbed tipster dropped by the site and did a bit of snooping:

Spoke to a Owner Rep at the location (wouldn't give his name) says existing 8 story building to be fully demolished by late fall. New Residential Development to be built in its place. Parking lot by 28th Street is closed (Sign says it will reopen in December, but owner rep says new building to be entire block).
Of course a cheaper, non-Frenchie building might be the new plan, but interestingly the original building permit—filed in 2005 by architect-of-record Handel Architects—was disapproved only this past October, indicating fresh filing action (and maybe some imminent fine-tuning). A Wired New York contributor also noticed that 400 Park Avenue South, which has been on Portzamparc's website forever, now mentions a 2010 start and a 2012 completion. Kaboom! With the Gansevoort Park hotel opening one block up, this stretch of Park Avenue South is getting interesting in a hurry. Anyone else got intel?
· Projects: 400 Park Avenue South [Atlelier Christian de Portzamparc]

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 4:18 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Excellent, though from the looks of the article doesn't appear we'll get a building based on the renderings. Still, any new development is better than what is currently there. I remember there was a similar proposal on the corner of 8th Avenue and 31st street, across from both Madison Square Garden and the Farley Post Office (Future Moynihan site). Any word on that?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 12:01 PM
BANNED

I think that Curbed's speculation about a different building is inaccurate. Portzamparc's website shows the same design, and it was updated to state that construction will start in 2010.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 3:18 PM
Danny proud New Yorker

this is great that area is getting a lot of great developments with one madison ave,23 east 22nd street,the recently completed one madison park and now this tower

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 5:25 PM
Danny proud New Yorker

and speaking of one madison ave is their any news on the status of that tower?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 10:09 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

please edit posts to add new comments. it makes the thread less cluttered.

anyways, i love this building. i hope it gets built, and it better have fairly transparent glass to give it that european quality look. we need more buildings like that in the US.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2010, 4:32 PM

Yay "glassitude" lol.

This project is right by me and this site could definitely use a development. That parking lot annoys me every time I get on the 6.

Its all about materials though...the render gives me practically no idea whats going on.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 5:14 PM
BANNED

Derek2k3

7Aug10

The wrecking ball commeth!

More demolition permits filed with the DOB on 5 Aug 10:

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=03

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 9:00 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

What an ugly building, good to see it being demolished soon.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 3:59 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I'm much more excited that a parking lot is going to be demolished. There are a lot of uglier buildings on Park Ave South. We're probably not going to be seeing any building any time soon though. In the meantime, demolition will have to do.

Which...by the way, is starting.

SDC14546

SDC14541

SDC14545

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 4:44 AM
BANNED

There is a very strong demand for rentals in Manhattan right now. This building will do very well.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 2:23 PM

Love this building, it needs to built just for it's incredible subway entrance.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 3:40 PM
BROOKLYN

I love this building! But where exactly is it in Manhattan?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 4:48 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
I love this building! But where exactly is it in Manhattan?
At the corner of 28th street and Park Avenue South.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 6:21 PM
BROOKLYN

Okay so it will look pretty much on its own. And yes that is a pretty neat subway entrance.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 10:21 AM

How far along are we on this one?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaso View Post
How far along are we on this one?
The site is going up for auction, and is expected to fetch around $400 a square foot. The good news is that the Christian de Portzamparc design has already been approved so whoever buys the site could still build this.

Source.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 9:29 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/111019929

Two big developers to team up on Park Ave. South
Equity Residential and Toll Brothers near deal to build split-personality condo/apartment tower on site of a parking lot on East 28th Street.

By Amanda Fung
October 13, 2011

Quote:
Equity Residential, along with home builder Toll Brothers Inc., is nearing a deal on a major development site at 400 Park Ave. South, according to sources. There, the partners hope to build a tower that will have rental units in the lower floors and condos above.

The site, a 20,000-square-foot parking lot at 28th Street, is owned by A&R Kalimian Realty, the developer of Upper West Side luxury rental tower The Aire. The developer had received city approval for a 40-story, 435-unit rental tower designed by French starchitect Christian de Portzamparc and Handel Architects, according to published reports. Instead, in May, the developer hired brokerage Studley Inc. to market the site, according to The New York Post, which estimated it could draw bids of well over $400 per square foot.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 9:48 PM
BANNED

I saw that article. I hope that they keep de Portzamparc's design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive