HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 1:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuver View Post
Looks like the Transit Hub won't be unique anymore. Check out this tennis stadium they are building in Valencia, Spain. Pretty similar I'd say.
It was never really that unique. There are other structures that are similar. Calatrava has a signature much the way Gehry has.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 10:39 PM
New Yorker for life

morrongiello (July 13)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 10:26 PM
New Yorker for life

http://twitpic.com/9x083

This timelapse camera sits at the base of the "Survivors Stairs" and will film @sept11memorial
being built around the stairs, which sit at the base of the WTC site

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 2:33 PM

That cam, I think I have a new view of the progress going on here. I belive in hope for the future of progress at the memorial. I do belive that they would have atleast the out door walking grounds definitly done by the 10th anniversy which is a great thought, and hopefully happens. Is it me or the Memorial looks like smooth sailing for contruction?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 2:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
That cam, I think I have a new view of the progress going on here. I belive in hope for the future of progress at the memorial. I do belive that they would have atleast the out door walking grounds definitly done by the 10th anniversy which is a great thought, and hopefully happens. Is it me or the Memorial looks like smooth sailing for contruction?
The memorial is supposed to be open by the 10th anniversary, at least above ground. The underground may take a little longer.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 3:06 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
morrongiello (July 13)

NY GUY .. will those holes on top of the memorial, or i should say the square holes not yet covered, will the be filled with dirt for the trees.. the trees will need some sort of root space, and with the steel at street level, the is no room for the trees .

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 3:36 PM

Getting way off topic here... but At this stage in construction, it reminds me of Dorton Arena, probably the most notable piece of architecture in my hometown of Raleigh, NC (I know, that's not saying much, about the city's architecture or the arena)

So maybe NEITHER of these projects are very unique!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 6:59 PM

The north pool has been completely squared off, and the south pool has recieved some more steel. It's ironic how the south tower/pool has had to tackle the PATH twice, and the north tower/pool has always been a step ahead of it. Coincidence?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
NY GUY .. will those holes on top of the memorial, or i should say the square holes not yet covered, will the be filled with dirt for the trees.. the trees will need some sort of root space, and with the steel at street level, the is no room for the trees .
Those holes are probably being left open for the time being so they can lower stuff into the floor below.

The topmost steel deck is actually about 7 feet below grade. It will be covered with 6 feet of topsoil and paving stones on top.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 3:19 PM

^ is 6 feet of top soil enough for the species of tree they selected for the memorial? doesn't seem like enough though I have no facts to back this up.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 4:46 PM

It beats having them rip up the concrete, as most of the city trees do nowadays.

Usually in plumbing and the construction of houses, sewage pipes run 7 to 8 feet below grade, and then for some strange reason, they plant a tree over it. The tree in my backyard is at least 50 years old, and the roots are now starting to reach the pipes(which is a plumbing nightmare), so yeah, 6 feet should be good enough for the memorial trees for a guaranteed 40-50 years.

There should be a video over at wtc.com that tells about the trees.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 8:10 PM

No new photos? there has been lots of new progress made lots and lots of new steel added yipeee

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 11:39 AM

Today : concrete pour in South pool memorial .

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 10:51 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/..._911_anny.html

World Trade Center Plaza to open for victims kin on eighth of anniversary of September 11 attacks

BY Douglas Feiden
August 6th 2009

Quote:

The World Trade Center Memorial Plaza will be opened for the first time on the eighth anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001, to families who lost loved ones in the attacks, it was disclosed Wednesday.

Port Authority Executive Director Chris Ward revealed that the upper level of the plaza would be temporarily opened during the morning's commemoration ceremonies.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 2:54 PM

Finally, some sort of a street-level memorial opening. Of all the "milestones" the politicians have been bragging about in the past 8 years regarding the site, this is actually a pretty significant one IMO, much more so than, say, the 2004 "Freedom Tower cornerstone" fisaco.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 5:11 PM

Hmmm... look's like there may be some prep work for the plaza opening, maybe?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslocos View Post
Hmmm... look's like there may be some prep work for the plaza opening, maybe?

They poured another section of the plaza deck this morning. It looks (to my untrained eyes) like they were going to do more but they stopped. Maybe due to the hot weather.
My guess is they will do a whole bunch of it over the next couple of weeks so there will be place for people to be on 9/11.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
They poured another section of the plaza deck this morning. It looks (to my untrained eyes) like they were going to do more but they stopped. Maybe due to the hot weather.
My guess is they will do a whole bunch of it over the next couple of weeks so there will be place for people to be on 9/11.
Ah yes, I can see it now. Will be nice to see the plaza covered over, also it will hush the people complaining nothings being done!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 11:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Finally, some sort of a street-level memorial opening. Of all the "milestones" the politicians have been bragging about in the past 8 years regarding the site, this is actually a pretty significant one IMO, much more so than, say, the 2004 "Freedom Tower cornerstone" fisaco.
Just the site of those people walking around up there will go a long way towards hushing at least the memorial crowd. The columns of the Freedom Tower starting to rise (tomorrow!) will go a long way towards hushing the skyscraper crowd - at least a little.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 11:21 PM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture