HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 11:17 AM
It's Hammer Time

Beach House | ? | 3 fl | Approved

Shops-housing mix on tap for tavern site

October 09, 2008
Eric McGuinness
The Hamilton Spectator

The empty site of the historical Dynes Tavern on the Hamilton Beach Strip will be filled by a residential-commercial development expected to include a 54-seat restaurant and several shops with apartments upstairs.

City council is set to give the go-ahead Wednesday for construction of 36 townhouses, 16 back-to-back maisonettes and four commercial units fronting Beach Boulevard with housing above.

Jim Howlett, president of the Hamilton Beach Community Council, said the developer, Branthaven Homes of Burlington, met with neighbourhood residents and listened to their concerns.

"Of all the developers we've had dealings with, Branthaven is the best," he said.

"Putting a commercial node in the residential development won't just serve the neighbourhood, it will make the beach more of a destination, giving people another reason to come down here and a reason to detour off the Waterfront Trail."

Planning consultant John Ariens noted that Branthaven, "one of Hamilton-Halton's premier home development companies," had nothing to do with last year's illegal demolition of the Dynes, which had operated since 1847.

He said a wide passage through the centre of the development would provide a view of the water from the street and link the trail to the commercial area with its restaurant and patio.

Ward 5 Councillor Chad Collins, who represents the area, told council's planning and economic development committee this week that former owner Tony DePasquale would be in court later this month to answer eight charges laid by the city over the Dynes demolition.

He also said the Hamilton Waterfront Trust would add an interpretive panel on the trail highlighting the history of the tavern.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 11:22 AM
Closed account

there is more info on the city's website about this. I think the height might have actually been 4 floors, but don't quote me.
It's in the last EcDev planning agenda.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 11:25 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 11:27 AM
It's Hammer Time

I have the concept or rendering, shows 3 floors. I'll load it here once photobucket is back online.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 1:08 PM
Closed account

anyway to post a larger image of the siteplan? I can't read it.

I actually like the sounds and look of this. I'm not sure I want more schlocky townhome developments on the Beach Strip, but the commercial units, resto with patio and upper floor residential sounds downright Montreal for crying out loud.
I'd pass out if someone ever proposed to build shops with upper floor apartments downtown.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 2:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

I don't have a larger site plan. Basically in the middle of the development is a path and each side of the path will contain the commercial development.

I like Branthaven, they make quality development. I was impressed with their development, Forest Hill.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 11:49 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 1:39 AM

This looks similar to the new developments in Aldershot, Burlington and Ancaster.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 4:12 AM

^ Hmm, I guess you are saying cookie cutter. That's uncommon in these new developments, isn't it (sarcasm).

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 6:34 AM

^^that too, but also the format, 3-storey attached townhouses.

This is interesting, the beach is closer to downtown Burlington than downtown Hamilton, with easy highway access. The townhouse development across the street reads "Burlington Bay's best selling townhome community". Hamilton is becoming Burlington's suburb.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 7:41 PM

I drove by this site today. They have a large sales office on this site to one side of the property and the rest of the property is parking. The lot was packed with cars. There had to be 50 to 60 cars.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 10:50 PM

The beach strip has so much untapped potential IMO.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 8:22 PM

Lots of change

Check it out. i did today.
The houses across from Bell Cairn are almost done and the old Dynes is taking shape.
This is the boomer paradise beachfront property and never leave the neighbourhood.
Home and cottage combined...
Why drive to a trailer on the grand or a cottage in Muskoka,
Just need a Pub.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 4:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

New construction should begin, building permit worth $964,970.00 in July for this project.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 11:19 AM
It's Hammer Time

Only 6 units available now, ranging from $400,000 to $500,000. 46 units has been sold already, 88% sold out.

Here's the site plan
http://www.branthaven.com/pdf/BHH_Sitemap.pdf

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 2:19 AM
It's Hammer Time

FYI.......

Frequently Asked Questions - Dynes Tavern Demolition

I have received a couple of inquiries regarding the Dynes Tavern matter, where the former owner was charged with demolishing the structure at 337 Beach Boulevard without a permit. Please be advised that the owner plead guilty in court to two Ontario Building Code violations and was fined $20,000 for his actions.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 2:27 AM
Needs more coffee...

I remember reading that in the Spec this week.. the last line typifies the attitude that usually goes with demolition in this city, unfortunately.
Quote:
http://thespec.com/article/702767

"Then a man named Tony DePasquale bought the Dynes Hotel, which had operated since 1847. In 2007, he illegally demolished the historic structure. That brought a fine of $20,000, perhaps just a cost of doing business."
I do like this particular project, though.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 12:21 PM

vast improvment

I had the opportunity to be the neighbourhood and drove by twice each way. Yes it looked pretty tight in there but is that a bad thing. Talk about close neighbours, with one Gladys Cravetts you got crime stoppers and neighbour hood watch covered.
It is like a 50 metre to a 8 km walking/bike path and seconds from there to the lake. Like having a cottage with all the bells and whistles.
I loved the Dynes but they would never have survived on my infrequent visits. It was all about keeping your head above water and with the drinking and driving it was not feasible to be too good a customer unless you coule walk it.
I bet now with the complex across from Bell Cairn and the Beach Houses things are looking up and don't be surprised if someone doesn.t buy up that little Motel and either fix it up or use the property for development.
This could be our Wasaga beach and be home in an hour.
Just need a clean up and proper monitoring.
I say the guy did the right thing and as usual, the city sat on their hands and waited, Time is money in real business especially if you are using your own or investors'. Maybe the City should adopt this concept with the taxpayers money. Give the guy a by, and as you can't reward him for breaking the rules at least don't punish initiative and something good for the area over what was there. People= tax base and more funds for the city.
The beach front is starting to shape up and maybe some of the eyesores will be sold to maintain the momentum.
Hey move the Philthy mc nastys down there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton