HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 6:29 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Smile NEW YORK | Brooklyn Bridge Park

The Park Plan

The future 85-acre Brooklyn Bridge Park will stretch 1.3 miles along the East River from north of the Manhattan Bridge to Atlantic Avenue. The Park includes Piers 1 - 6, each approximately the size of Bryant Park, and their uplands. Brooklyn Bridge Park will transform this underused and inaccessible stretch into a magnificent public space filled with lawns, recreation, beaches, coves, restored habitats, playgrounds and beautifully landscaped areas. The Park will connect visitors to the waterfront and NY Harbor in extraordinary ways with floating pathways, fishing piers, canals, paddling waters and restored wetlands. This is the most significant park development in Brooklyn since Prospect Park was built 135 years ago.

Park construction has begun, with sections of the park scheduled to open beginning Fall 2009. Click here for images of the future park.

For more detailed information on park design and construction, see the website of the Brooklyn Bridge Park Development Corporation.

Adding more renderings:

INDIVIDUAL PIERS

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 9, 2009 at 9:00 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 7:59 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Brooklyn Eagle daily

Brooklyn Bridge Park Construction Will Begin Soon

by Dennis Holt (Holt@brooklyneagle.net), published online 10-22-2008

This rendering shows the entrance to Brooklyn Bridge Park at Fulton Ferry, the construction of which is scheduled to begin in November. Image courtesy of Brooklyn Bridge Park Development Corporation

DOWNTOWN BROOKLYN — “I took this job to build Brooklyn Bridge Park,” was the forceful comment by Regina Myer, president of the Brooklyn Bridge Park Development Corporation, as she announced the first construction contract to be awarded for the stretch of piers that lies south of the bridge.

After a board of directors meeting, it was disclosed that Skanska USA Inc., a firm that already has done a lot of demolition work on the park site, will be awarded $47 million to develop Pier 1 and the entrance at Old Fulton Street.

This first phase of construction, scheduled to begin in November, will include about 1,300 feet of promenade along the East River and 2.5 acres of lawn with stunning views of the harbor, the Brooklyn Bridge and Lower Manhattan.

Also included in this phase will be the first portion of the Brooklyn Greenway, to be a borough-wide bikeway network. Pier 1 will have about 700 trees, water gardens and a playground at the northwestern edge of the pier.

The design of the Pier 1 element will include a number of sustainable initiatives such as underground water storage tanks, as well as a series of “river steps” overlooking the harbor. These steps will be constructed from salvaged granite taken from the Roosevelt Island Bridge.

When all this work is completed, by the end of 2009, 9.5 acres of new park will have been added to the existing DUMBO parts of the new park.

Myer, who used to be head of the Brooklyn Office of the City Planning Department, said, “We are thrilled that the construction of Brooklyn Bridge Park will begin this year.”

Eventually, the waterfront park, projected to be a major city tourist attraction, will stretch 1.3 miles from south of Atlantic Avenue to north of the Manhattan Bridge and will consist of 85 acres.

© Brooklyn Daily Eagle 2008

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 5:06 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY Daily News

Brooklyn Bridge Park coming next month, developer promises

BY JOYCE SHELBY
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, October 28th 2008, 10:24 PM

Rendering of the view of Pier 1 in the planned Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Finally! After delays and ballooning costs dating back to the Pataki administration, construction at Brooklyn Bridge Park is slated to get underway next month.

That's the promise of the Brooklyn Bridge Park Development Corp.

"I'm sure we are starting this November - really sure," said BBPD President Regina Myer. "We actually have the money to build. This is a very important step."

Using state and city funds, the corporation awarded a $47 million contract last week to Skanska USA for the first phase of park construction. The money covers construction on Pier 1 and a new entrance to the park at Old Fulton St.

"Every park needs a great entrance," Myer said. "And there will be two wonderful viewing lawns with new topography to accentuate the views of the Brooklyn Bridge and the upper harbor."

Because the viewing lawns will be elevated, Myer said, new river steps will be built, paved with granite salvaged from the Roosevelt Island Bridge.

There will be about 1,300 feet of new promenade on the edge of Pier1, along with water gardens and a new playground for children.

The completed Pier 1 will add 9.5 new acres of park to the existing Empire Fulton Ferry State Park and the Main Street City Park, according to the corporation.

"Over the course of the next year, New Yorkers will see the unique transformation of a vacant pier and the development of a new landscape along the water's edge," Myer promised.

Construction is to be completed by the end of next year.

"We have a very aggressive construction schedule. We are pushing to work as hard as we can to get the public on site," she said. "Construction should go quickly."

At the Brooklyn Heights Association, Irene Janner said her group certainly hopes so.

"We're really looking forward to it," she said. "It looks like it's a go."

© Copyright 2008 NYDailyNews.com. All rights reserved.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 7:53 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Brownstoner

November 25, 2008

Brooklyn Bridge Park: The Timeline Emerges

Three "significant portions" — that's part of phase 1, folks — of Brooklyn Bridge Park should be done by the end of 2009 (construction started in late October). That's the word from the Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy (you can check out their latest newsletter here). Despite the tanking economy, two-thirds of the $47 million park will be open to the public by 2013. If we're going by previous stats, it should be a hit: 270,000 visitors from around the world showed up last summer alone. Above you can see the proposed schedule. Last we checked, neighborhood issues still unresolved included some residents' fears that the park will become a staging area for construction equipment (which will be nearby to fix the BQE) and grumblings that the beloved raised walkways in the park design had been removed. Oh, and maybe the golf balls from One Brooklyn Bridge Park's terrace putting greens, too.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 12:48 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Brooklyn in da house.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 11:39 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Brooklyn Paper

More delays at Bridge ‘park’

By Mike McLaughlin
The Brooklyn Paper

The builders of the Brooklyn Bridge Park development are already two months behind on a new construction schedule that is only three months old!

Though work was supposed to start this month, three pieces of the waterfront project that are supposed to open next October remain quiet: Pier 1, just south of the Brooklyn Bridge, which was to begin last month; and Brooklyn Bridge Plaza, at the end of Old Fulton Street, and Pier 6, near the foot of Atlantic Avenue, both of which were supposed to start this month.

“We WILL start Pier 1 this month,” Warner Johnston, a spokesman for the Brooklyn Bridge Park Development Corporation, vowed, though as The Brooklyn Paper went to press, there was only one business day remaining in November.

Even more alarming, Johnston confirmed that work on Pier 6 is now set for January — making it at least two months behind the much-touted schedule that was unveiled in July.

He said there was “no real delay” because the October and November starting points were simply “projections.”

Johnston did not say when work would start on Brooklyn Bridge Plaza, the highest profile portion of the embattled development. As The Brooklyn Paper reported, that part of the project is embroiled in an intergovernmental battle between the state development agency and the city Department of Transportation.

The city agency has resisted calls that it give control of land beneath the Gothic span for a grand public plaza, with its greenmarket and skating rink. Instead, the city has clung to the property, saying it needs the space for five years of repair work to the bridge.

That insistence raises serious doubts about the Brooklyn Bridge Park Development Corporation’s ongoing promise to open the plaza schedule next fall.

The latest snag follows more than 20 years of false starts and setbacks for Brooklyn Bridge Park. Before demolition work began in earnest this year, there were three groundbreakings to signal the birth of the open space portion of the condo and park development.
“They have delayed and stalled for years,” said Judi Francis, president of the Brooklyn Bridge Park Defense Fund, which is critical of the state’s management of the development. “We just want a park.”

Then-Gov. Pataki and Mayor Bloomberg allocated $150 million to build the entire 1.3-mile long park in 2002, saying it would be built by 2012. Now the park’s budget exceeds $300 million — officials will not share updated figures — and only two-thirds of the development is scheduled to be built.

The frequently revised timelines have created confusion among officials and residents who cannot keep up with the ever-changing schedule. The Web site Brownstoner.com falsely reported on Tuesday that construction began in October. That story apparently stemmed from a newsletter put out by the Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy, which runs public events in existing greenspaces that are slated to become part of Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Even though the Brownstoner report suggested that the open space and condo project was moving forward, many commenters expressed exasperation anyway.

“Plant some grass, stick in some benches and let’s go,” wrote Kevin Walsh, an amateur historian and founder of Forgotten NY. “For the love of God, they built the Empire State Building in one year.”

©2008 The Brooklyn Paper

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 2:24 PM
New Yorker for life

From the east river development thread:

http://curbed.com/archives/2008/07/0...vealed.php?o=9

Brooklyn Bridge Park Updated & Fully Revealed

These are the Pier 5 Recreation Fields.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008, by Robert

Here is a big new set of renderings of Brooklyn Bridge Park, some of which have been trickling out for the last week or so and some of which haven't been seen before. In any case, it's been quite a while since new renderings were released. Land clearance for the park is underway and two sections (at Pier One and Pier Six, at opposite ends at Fulton Ferry Landing and Atlantic Avenue) are supposed to be finished late next year. Entire park will stretch for 1.3 miles. The original budget was $150 million, but it has climbed to $300 million, with the trouble being that only $225 million is funded. The Brooklyn Bridge Park Development Corp. estimates that about 2/3 of the park will be done by 2012.

Here's a view from Pier 1 to Brooklyn Bridge Park Plaza

A view of the future Pier 6.

This is the Tidal Pool and Performance Stair near Pier 2.

Boating Basin with Pier 4 Nature Island and Beach.

This is called the Picnic Peninsula.

Movies on the lawn north of the Brooklyn Bridge.

The park's entrance fromm Atlantic Avenue.

Atlantic Avenue Promenade and Playground.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 2:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Site of the park (Dec 26th 2008)

Bonus shots from the Bridge itself...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 3:38 PM
New Yorker for life

http://curbed.com/archives/2009/01/1...masochists.php

Winter '09 for First Part of Brooklyn Bridge Park

Wednesday, January 14, 2009, by Robert

BROOKLYN HEIGHTS—There is news to report about everybody's favorite Brooklyn park mega-project, Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy, there is an updated schedule for Pier One, which will be the first part of the park to open.

Utilities are being installed and by February [Skanska] will be importing 60,000 cubic yards of fill and topsoil by truck. This fill will be used to create the grading, including a 25 foot hill, on Pier 1....Pier 1 will turn green at the end of spring with the planting of trees and shrubs, and the laying of sod, turf, and ground cover.

Paved pathways, benches, and railings will be installed in the fall. They're anticipating an opening of two big lawns in winter 2009 (bummer) and opening the southern end in summer 2010. There will be 9.5 acres of green space. More info at the Brookyn Bridge Park Development Corp. website.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 8:28 PM

60,000 cubic yards that is a hell of alot of fill and top soil. Thats anywhere from 2500 to 5000 truck loads depending on the types of trucks they use. Are there any jobs in the area requiring alot of haul off? If not i wonder where all that fill material will come from.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 1:13 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

New York just gets better everyday.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 3:55 PM

Those park plans are really cool. I grew up on the Mississippi River and spent my entire childhood at the various riverfront parks. I've always felt New York needs more of those. I didn't get a chance to get to get to Promenade Park, the view of which looks to be much improved, so I don't have a real good feel for the area. Next time I visit my Brooklyn friends, I will definitely walk through that park.

A couple questions. Both this photo and the render show the same view.

The BQE is noticeably absent in the render. Will that landscaped hill with trees actually be built, hiding the highway? That's amazing if true.
Does the BQE become a tunnel then? And will there be access from the upper Promenade down to the waterfront down that hill? It also looks like parkinglots have disapeared, which is good.

Another question, what is the structure between New Dock and Old Dock streets just north of the bridge? It doesn't really look like much, and looks like that lot would really add to the park space there, but it's not part of the plans.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 12:33 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Those park plans are really cool. I grew up on the Mississippi River and spent my entire childhood at the various riverfront parks. I've always felt New York needs more of those.
The City has been rapidly reclaiming the waterfront from its industrial past (I created the east river waterfront thread to keep up with east river developments), and a lot of waterfront parks are through various stages around the city. However, even without that the City has extensive waterfront promenades and beaches.

Quote:
The BQE is noticeably absent in the render. Will that landscaped hill with trees actually be built, hiding the highway? That's amazing if true.
Does the BQE become a tunnel then?
It was my understanding that the "hill" was just a hill (somewhat similar to what they are planning for Governor's Island), with the view of the expressway just blocked from that view. But I haven't looked extensively at the plans.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 12:38 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

This is called the Picnic Peninsula.
This will probably be my favorite place in the park...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 12:41 AM
World Machine

Great project and idea for that matter. It will certainly thrive.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 12:42 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by genop View Post
60,000 cubic yards that is a hell of alot of fill and top soil. Thats anywhere from 2500 to 5000 truck loads depending on the types of trucks they use. Are there any jobs in the area requiring alot of haul off? If not i wonder where all that fill material will come from.
There's always dredging in the harbor, and the city's ongoing massive water-tunnel and subway construction projects. But I don't know where this particular soil is coming from. In a related note, they've been placing the soil and plantings at the High Line park for months now.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 1:31 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...yn-bridge-park

Bloomberg Grabbing for Governors Island, Brooklyn Bridge Park

March 12, 2009

Mayor Bloomberg is seeking to grab control of Governors Island and Brooklyn Bridge Park, pushing the Paterson administration aside in an attempt to spur progress on the two projects, both of which would create new real estate development and public parkland.

As part of the mayor’s plan, his administration would take money it invested in the Javits Center (the city and state each have committed $300 million for a major expansion that was subsequently scaled down) and put it toward Governors Island and Brooklyn Bridge Park.

“We would use that money to continue to develop these two things which are great parts of the city and the city has more of an interest,” Mr. Bloomberg told reporters Thursday. “I think the state government has their own problems. It’s a good deal for the state. If not, they can take them over or close them down.”

The power grab exhibits some of the frustration the Bloomberg administration has had with the governor’s office over numerous slow-moving economic development projects requiring billions in public spending. The Javits Center has not expanded as the Spitzer administration re-evaluated a much-criticized Pataki administration plan; and Moynihan Station has made little or no progress, effectively, since Governor Pataki left office.

Control over Governors Island, the 172-acre former Coast Guard base where officials hope to ultimately create commercial development and a signature park, is shared between the city and the state. Brooklyn Bridge Park, a set of piers near Brooklyn Heights slated to be transformed into a park with adjacent residential towers, is controlled by the state, though funded by both governments.

A spokeswoman for Governor Paterson did not signal a position on the issue either way, saying the state is working with the city on the issue.

THE COUP (OR SWAP) attempt comes as there is uncertainty over the fate of Governors Island, given that the governor’s proposed budget does not include any money for the agency that operates the island. The agency, and also the summer ferry service that brings visitors to the island over the summer, would shut down April 1 without money in the budget. Supporters of the mayor’s plan said at a public meeting on Governors Island on Thursday that even if money does ultimately come through this year, the uncertainty is bad for the project, and the city/state split is not working. If the Bloomberg administration assumed control, it could show progress thanks to the Javits funds, it reasons, rather than the relatively slow pace that the development has experienced to date.

Brooklyn Bridge Park is moving along at a faster pace as construction is starting, though the city has wanted to see more state money go into the project. It now has a price tag of $350 million but only a budget of $230 million (it also requested around $150 million in stimulus money to replace aging piles, a cost that could ultimately be borne locally).

With regard to Governors Island, the state-appointed chairman of the island’s governing board, Avi Schick, sought to brush aside fears that the island would shut down.

“Governors Island will be open this summer,” he said flatly, speaking to reporters Thursday morning, adding that the governor “remains committed” to the island. He said Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, with whom he has a good relationship, is behind this project and would be pushing for it in the final state budget.

Whether or not the trade happens will depend on the governor, though he and the mayor have had discussions about it before, apparently with no resolution. The governor’s economic development chief, Marisa Lago, reacted coolly to the concept Thursday. “I don’t think there is a major initiative that hasn’t involved a multiplicity of different actors," she said.

It is unclear what the mayor’s suggestion to use Javits Center funds would mean for the convention center. Right now, the Javits Center is paying for a recently approved renovation with funds from a hotel tax levied in order to pay for an expansion. Without the city’s money, the convention center would not be able to afford the expansion currently envisioned—about 160,000 square feet—though the city contends that expansion would not happen for years anyway, at which point it could add funds. It also would shift far more financial burden onto the city, especially if it adds additional money to Javits further down the line.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 11:42 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03182009...art_160085.htm

BRIDGE PARK START

March 18, 2009

By the summer, Pier 6 in Brooklyn Heights will finally begin to look like a park - featuring volleyball courts, a dog run and a magnificent new playground with views of the Manhattan skyline.

Officials overseeing construction of the 85-acre park met with Community Board 2 this week and outlined the updated construction timeline.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 11:46 AM
New Yorker for life

http://curbed.com/archives/2009/03/1...acked.php#more

Brooklyn Bridge Park's Pier 6 Getting Fast-Tracked

Tuesday, March 17, 2009, by Lockhart

Following yesterday's news that construction is underway at Pier 1 of Brooklyn Bridge Park (the section of the park that anchors the Brooklyn Bridge end) a community board meeting last night brought news that Pier 6—located at the opposite end of the park, adjacent to the the One Brooklyn Bridge Park development (above)—is also on track for preliminary completion this year. Woo-hoo!

Brooklyn Heights Blog fills in the details on the Pier 6 timeline:

Currently, workers are laying pipes for utilities and stormwater retention in the lot, which is at the western end of Atlantic Avenue. Crews will soon start structural work on the 35-foot pedestrian path that will lead from the park’s entrance at Atlantic Avenue to an elevated platform halfway down the pier that overlooks the harbor.

The timeline is:

· In the spring, construction begins on three sand volleyball courts, 1.6-acre playground and expansive swing set, and the 1,000-square-foot concession stand
By summer, “the park will start to look like a park,” said project manager Jennifer Klein. The dog run will take shape, and trees will be planted. (There will be honey locusts, black locusts, oaks, and catalpas.)
· And in the fall, the actual playground equipment will arrive, long-leaf yellow pine cladding will go up on the concession stand, and dozens of benches will line the walkways throughout the park

The remainder of the pier — including the water taxi dock — is not yet funded, Myer said.

As a refresher, here's an overview of the entire park as it's expected to look upon final completion. Good times.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 12:16 PM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development