HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 8:44 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Because the developer is asking permission to change the zoning. In some nations, it's considered permissible for citizens to discuss the wisdom of pending legislation.
^ What part about "tyrannical rule of a tiny minority" do you not get?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Well, this is a residential project, not an office project. It's been zoned for office growth, and FRDA thinks it should be reserved for an office development. I don't see anything wrong with that, although if FRDA wants an office building, then the height of this proposal shouldn't matter. Of course, the city hasn't done anything to slow residential development in the West Loop east of the Kennedy, with K Station and the stuff along Lake, RD659, 565 Quincy, and a ton of other projects.
I don't disagree with that at all, it should be a commercial development or mixed-use; but the boat for commercial development in this economy sailed a long time ago. FRDA contradicts itself though by wanting office and demanding a height cap, because office floor to floor heights are 13 feet minimum. If the project was converted to office and shrank 11 floors to 25 stories, it would still be taller than 300 feet.

Last edited by Chicago Shawn; Nov 22, 2009 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 9:04 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ What part about "tyrannical rule of a tiny minority" do you not get?
The part where they actually affect the outcome in any way.

Has any downtown project ever been changed by the objections of a neighborhood group? When was the last time the Plan Commission voted not to approve a project??

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 9:55 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Has any downtown project ever been changed by the objections of a neighborhood group? When was the last time the Plan Commission voted not to approve a project??
^ Kind of hard for the Plan Commission to vote on a project when the Alderman yanks it from the agenda, don't you think? Or perhaps the developers didn't bother applying because they knew where the Alderman stood.

How about that tower proposed a few years back next to that Mag Mile cathedral (blanking on the name)? NIMBY's bitched and Natarus caved. After all, how DARE they build a tower next to Michigan Avenue!

How about Library Tower--it was significantly downsized by NIMBY opposition. What about 65 E Goethe--initially in the 30+ story range, but NIMBIFIED to its current 8 or so stories. What about 1320 N Lakeshore Dr, which Gold Coast neighors fight to keep a vacant lot in perpetuity despite its obviously prominent location and granted zoning for a highrise building?

Kinda pointless to go after Plan Commission approval when the Alderman announces that he "will not approve a zoning change", don't ya think?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 10:10 PM
Twin Peaks, San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
How about that tower proposed a few years back next to that Mag Mile cathedral (blanking on the name)? NIMBY's bitched and Natarus caved. After all, how DARE they build a tower next to Michigan Avenue!
http://www.saintjamescathedral.org/home.asp

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 11:25 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
No, that one was approved, just didn't get built for economic reasons. The one he's referring to is probably the Fourth Presbyterian one.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 1:13 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
No, that one was approved, just didn't get built for economic reasons. The one he's referring to is probably the Fourth Presbyterian one.
^ Yep, that's the one

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 2:41 PM
THAT Guy

469'/ 32 fl

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....ent=FeedBurner

Roosevelt University to construct 32-story building; school says it will be 2nd-tallest in U.S. behind University of Pittsburgh's
By William Lee

Officials at Roosevelt University are moving forward with a plan to build what they say would be the second-tallest university building in the nation.

Construction on the 32-story, $110 million building is set to begin in February on the site of the old Herman Crown Center in the 400 block of South Wabash Avenue. The groundbreaking will begin once demolition of the old building is complete, with the center itself slated to open in January 2012, officials said.

...Approved by the board of trustees this summer, the center is being paid for by the sale of $180 million in bonds.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 2:43 PM

Great news. Is that the retro SCB design posted a few months back?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 3:08 PM
shy city

Foundation work has begun in earnest at LP2520. There has been a lot of activity in the last few weeks.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 3:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Great news. Is that the retro SCB design posted a few months back?
I think its this one:

chicagoismynewblog

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 3:41 PM

i hope so

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 3:51 PM
born again cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I think its this one:

chicagoismynewblog
yep, that's the one.

and hydrogen, kamin's article mentioned that it would stand 469' tall, so you can plug in a preliminary height figure for it now on the page 1 list.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 24, 2009 at 4:07 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 4:04 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

I'm hoping that the curtain wall will make a good backdrop for Auditorium Building's tower. That'll be a great view, BTW - looking out at the Sullivan.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 4:09 PM
Exhale solutions.

This is great news. I was hoping RU wouldn't keep this one on the back burner for another decade. I admire that school's ambition.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 5:07 PM

The 300+' foot dormitory proposal on the parking lot to the north - that was a private proposal, right? Was that one also approved by the Plan Commission or was it just a public proposal? I always got these two proposals a bit mixed up.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 5:18 PM
BANNED

^^^ If they build that other dorm too I'm going to feel mighty sorry for that skinny little building that will be stuck in between!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 6:52 PM
Twin Peaks, San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Sorry about that, Presbyterians don't have cathedrals so that's why I thought he was referring to St. James.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ If they build that other dorm too I'm going to feel mighty sorry for that skinny little building that will be stuck in between!
The skinny building at 421 S. Wabash will become part of Roosevelt's new tower.

Interior demolition is well underway at Herman Crown Center, and the HVAC unit has already been removed from the roof. The building should start comming down floor by floor soon.

BTW, another building under demolition right now is the old Firestone auto shop at 16th and Wabash.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 7:31 PM
vertical

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
The 300+' foot dormitory proposal on the parking lot to the north - that was a private proposal, right? Was that one also approved by the Plan Commission or was it just a public proposal? I always got these two proposals a bit mixed up.
The other proposal was approved, but the (private) landowners have no plans to start construction anytime soon. They just wanted the approval, possibly to increase the potential sale price of the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280
That's the Fine Arts Annex by Andrew Rebori. It will be involved in the Roosevelt project somehow. I'm not sure if the new tower will cantilever over it, or whether they'll do a partial demolition of the rear. But its interior spaces will be incorporated into the dorm tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations