HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
Did anyone on here go to that meeting at Gill Park about the proposal at halsted / grace in lakeview.....just curious?
Yes. The alderman spoke, then the developer, and finally the community organization. The developer unveiled a new design that moved the parking entrance to Halsted just next to the IHOP and broke up the massing of the L-shaped tower into a taller western leg and a shorter northern one. This was done to minimize the impact on views from the Co-op tower on Grace and Halsted. The commercial space on the first floor will be taken up by one large tenant, perhaps a health club.

The community group wants much more parking, fewer units and larger units (many of the planned units are studios and 1BRs). Some spoke out for five stories max, others want the lot to become a park. The crowd applauded the opponents of the project and booed one brave soul who voiced a preference for an even taller tower (to hide the Co-op tower). Many there wore stickers with 818, the address of the proposal, circled and stricken out in the style of a no smoking sign.

Afterwards I met a group of people who were quietly in support of the project. I don't know how many more there are in the neighborhood.

There was pizza.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 8:03 AM
BANNED

Thanks.

yeah that is all lakeview needs.....more parking....esp on a parcel little more than 1/4 mile from 2 L stops...god.....I am so sick of carpetbagging ex-suburbanites and carpetbagging ex-small town midwesterners moving here and demanding that Chicago be Columbus or Indianapolis or some town in Michigan or some other midwestern shit hole.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 1:37 PM
vertical

It may be pointless to argue with the community group. If anybody runs into supporters, encourage them to email Cappleman directly. Any of us that lives in the ward, also email Cappleman.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 4:19 PM
BANNED

Sorry for my late night sleep deprived rant...I had been up working for nearly 36 hours without sleep and then I read pyro post and reacted. I feel better now after getting 2 hurs of sleep. still too much parking in LV is a bad idea

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
Sorry for my late night sleep deprived rant...I had been up working for nearly 36 hours without sleep and then I read pyro post and reacted. I feel better now after getting 2 hurs of sleep. still too much parking in LV is a bad idea
Street parking in LakeView - '91 or '92

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 5:14 PM

^ Wow, where was that taken?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyropius View Post
^ Wow, where was that taken?
From 1004 W Dakin, overlooking the SuperMercado, 1/2 blk S of Sheridan El stop. I'll put up a thread when I get them all scanned.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 5:36 PM
BANNED

Looks more like late 70's early 80's uptown other than the people don't appear to be hillbillies

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It may be pointless to argue with the community group. If anybody runs into supporters, encourage them to email Cappleman directly. Any of us that lives in the ward, also email Cappleman.
I agree, I think emailing Cappleman directly or even stopping into his office would be a much better use of time. I sent him a lengthy email today and plan on speaking with him in person the next time I see him. I think it will definitely help for him to know that there are many of us out there in the neighborhood that strongly support this proposal.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 8:54 PM

I've been watching this forum for 7 years nows (aww, being 16 seemed so long ago) and now I think I should start contributing lol.

I was at the meeting last night. Pure NIMBY fest. I did talk to the developer last night and made some suggestions that they seemed to take to heart, such as staggered setbacks. After voicing my opinion to the Cappleman, I think it would be wise if we started a pro-Bradley Place development group to prove that our neighborhood isnt filled with anti-urban asshats. Anyone interested, shoot me a message.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_kyry View Post
I've been watching this forum for 7 years nows (aww, being 16 seemed so long ago) and now I think I should start contributing lol.

I was at the meeting last night. Pure NIMBY fest. I did talk to the developer last night and made some suggestions that they seemed to take to heart, such as staggered setbacks. After voicing my opinion to the Cappleman, I think it would be wise if we started a pro-Bradley Place development group to prove that our neighborhood isnt filled with anti-urban asshats. Anyone interested, shoot me a message.
I don't live there but I'd join in a heartbeat.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_kyry View Post

I'd join. I'm not in Chicago yet, but in a couple years I plan to be, and dense neighborhoods with great pedestrian scenes is a reason why, certainly not parking podiums.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
From 1004 W Dakin, overlooking the SuperMercado, 1/2 blk S of Sheridan El stop. I'll put up a thread when I get them all scanned.
I am eagerly awaiting!!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 3:02 PM

k2 construction status

K2 shows as site-prep on the front page, is this accurate

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 8:41 PM
oops.

lol, hayward just showed me that AMLI building... total trash!

...k2 is trash too!

oh well, some really nice stuff going on it looks like; it's nice to come home to so much change!

edit: tower of jewel? yes, please!

Last edited by Tom Servo; Dec 3, 2011 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 3:31 AM
Joe Zekas

The tower crane and first columns at K2

Watch a four-minute video of the four-day erection of the tower crane at K2 from start to finish, and another video of the pouring of the first columns at K2.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 2:38 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Zekas View Post
Watch a four-minute video of the four-day erection of the tower crane at K2 from start to finish, and another video of the pouring of the first columns at K2.
Good stuff Joe, thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 8:56 PM
BANNED

Spyguy, I wonder if you could do some sleuthing apparently from the posts on FB for the bradley st. proposal in lakeview there was been a a redesdign there were models or pics at the gill st. event last week. Think you could score them.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 2:30 AM
THAT Guy

^I don't have them but give how much attention this project is getting I'm sure the Alderman or some community group will post them soon enough.

Apparently the proposal for a 190 unit, 26 story tower next to the old firehouse at Illinois and Franklin has been revived and thankfully redesigned.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 2:42 AM

Interesting. Do they plan on restoring the firehouse?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations