HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 8:49 PM
Joe Zekas

A call for K2 video suggestions

I'll be visiting K2 at K Station fairly frequently from now until it's complete, and will have access to most points on the site. The one exception is the place I'd most like to go – atop the tower crane.

I'll also have access to virtually everyone working on and at the K2 development, and would like to video the story of the building of a high-rise from their varied perspectives.

You can help me with this project by giving me some suggestions on who and what you'd like to see in these videos, and feeding me any questions you'd like asked.

All of the videos will be added to this YouTube playlist as they become available.

Thanks in advance.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 9:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
An article from the Trib.

Not super important news, but we'll see what happens...
That is this tower in case you all forgot:

chicagorealestatedaily.com

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 9:16 PM
BANNED

This is th lot on the south east corner of adams a desplaines?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 1:40 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Zekas View Post
I'll be visiting K2 at K Station fairly frequently from now until it's complete, and will have access to most points on the site. The one exception is the place I'd most like to go – atop the tower crane.

I'll also have access to virtually everyone working on and at the K2 development, and would like to video the story of the building of a high-rise from their varied perspectives.

You can help me with this project by giving me some suggestions on who and what you'd like to see in these videos, and feeding me any questions you'd like asked.

All of the videos will be added to this YouTube playlist as they become available.

Thanks in advance.
Can't wait to see some of the views from this building.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 1:52 AM
Joe Zekas

You don't have to wait

I've loaned a camera to Marie Spear, one of the tower crane operators at K2, and you can see some of the views from 240 feet up - not the full height of the building - in this video at YouTube.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 2:10 PM

Sweet views. I think the train noise would get annoying for the residents after a while, but I imagine the windows will be solid for noise reduction.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 5:57 PM
All-American City Boy

I'm pretty disappointed in how bland River North looks, but that view towards the financial district is stunning. Thanks for sharing Joe!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 8:45 PM

k2

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:55 AM

Attention Emporis editors, Wikipedia editors, and other guardians of skyscraper databases.

R.I.P. Unitrin Building. The sign came down in the last week. I don't know whether the owner is technically still calling it the Unitrin Building, but since the company changed its name to Kemper a number of months ago, I think it's probably ripe to change the reference at least to 1 East Wacker.

Presumably it soon will be or already is Kemper Tower or something like that, and hopefully a new sign will go up in what is now empty framing at the top of the tower.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 4:35 AM
vertical

Well, at least Kemper has a nice logo:

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post

Great view... I guess that's the cost of living in an up and coming neighborhood...
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 4:02 PM

Why was the Kennedy only capped in that one spot? Just for a parking lot and storage. It seems like a waste.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 4:22 PM
Urbane observer

^It wasn't a parking lot and storage back then, it was a big group of railroad freight houses.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Apr 22, 2012 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 6:20 PM

That is an amazing website Mr. Downtown! I recommend everyone take a look, you won't be disappointed.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 8:54 PM

(Edit. Wrong thread.)

Last edited by denizen467; Apr 22, 2012 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 11:49 PM
vertical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Why was the Kennedy only capped in that one spot? Just for a parking lot and storage. It seems like a waste.
In addition to the big railyard above, the fact that Halsted also crossed on an angle created some unique structural needs - the supports for the Halsted overpass fell directly on top of the Kennedy beneath.

The least expensive way to layer everything together was simply to dig a trench for the Kennedy and then cap it with big plate girders deep enough to support several freight trains and another overpass on top. Also, the C&NW (which owned the railyard) was an extraordinarily powerful corporation in 1960s Chicago, so they had to be accommodated at great cost. Even Marshall Field, when he built the Merchandise Mart, had to accommodate another C&NW railyard beneath the building.

It certainly wasn't a quality-of-life issue that made them build a cap... this area was highly industrial and nobody lived nearby to care about greenspace or pollution. Remember, they didn't even cap the IC through Grant Park until the 2000s when Millennium Park was built.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 12:05 AM

Thanks for the history. I was always curious why it was capped in that one spot. Since, people have been talking about capping the Kennedy around the loop lately.

So, since that area is developing again what types of things could be built on top of the cap now? I guess you could put a park on top of it easily. Could you build a small retail building? Would larger structures basically have to be cantilever over top of the cap.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 12:46 AM

Today
Amli

Hotels

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:48 AM
High above the Gold Coast

The Halsted Viaduct looks interesting in that old aerial. It almost looks like a truss bridge. When was the haunch girder design of present day constructed?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 5:03 AM
vertical

^ 1967-68, according to the Trib. Apparently the truss dated back to 1887 and it was severely damaged after the construction of Hubbard's Cave caused ground settlement. Plus, the city wanted to widen it to four lanes. A similar bridge existed at Sangamon two blocks west, and at Grand a few blocks northeast.

In the picture (taken from C&NW's elevated viaduct, now UP-West) you can see the rebar for the Kennedy retaining wall sticking up at far right.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations