HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 7:57 PM

^^^ Yeah, that does not look well organized. And the high prices are odd, though rents seem so strange to me. I never really followed the rental market (because who did anywhere but NY unless it was your job or you rented) and now that the rental market is the only thing to follow, it is really hard to pin down. It seems, maybe more so in this market, to be highly irrational.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 6:28 AM
Twin Peaks, San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
I never really followed the rental market (because who did anywhere but NY unless it was your job or you rented) and now that the rental market is the only thing to follow, it is really hard to pin down.
People always have in San Francisco since there are vastly more renters than owners.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 3:07 PM
Urbane observer

I hear that Valerio Dewalt Train is designing a (privately owned) student housing building for the Wirt Dexter site, 630 S. Wabash.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 3:11 PM
The City

^ Do you know how large it is supposed to be?

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 6:23 PM

^^^
That would be really good news if it is true. I like some of the stuff VDT has been up to lately and these schools have been doing a good job with modern, interesting vertical buildings. And I'm never against sloop development...
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 8:19 PM
Urbane observer

^I'm a little unclear. The Dexter building was, I think, only 95 feet of street frontage, 166 feet deep. But my source was talking in general terms about setting the tower in from the side property lines, with a base running the full width. I was assuming the tower would be 70 feet north to south for double-loaded corridors, but now that I do the math those would be pretty small setbacks. Perhaps the units can be shallower since they're student housing.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 9:09 PM
vertical

Student housing can be squeezed into all sorts of uncomfortable configurations.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 9:25 PM

^^^
Is it necessary to build with setbacks. It'd be nice to see any new building take up the whole lot at least as high as the old Dexter (that was what, 5-6 floors) and then set back 10 or so feet higher than that if necessary. Canyonization isn't really a problem this far south. And by "privately owned" do you mean not owned by a college, because to me, that means unlikely to come to fruition...

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 10:39 PM
Urbane observer

^Of course lot line setbacks are necessary. You have to have windows in the rooms. With parking, I'm sure the podium will be at least four stories.

Yes, there are a couple of companies who specialize in building private-market student housing. They're fairly confident about the economics.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 10:58 PM

^^^
Will they build a parking podium, because I'm not sure how many urban students will need parking. And my question was essentially whether setbacks are prescribed by zoning. If not, I would like to see a few floors with common space (open study space on one floor, cafe on another, technology commons on another etc.) in the center and dorm rooms facing the street and rear. Then open to above and below on the sides with skylights where the offset goes to let in some natural light. Having worked on multiple campus building projects I feel pretty sure this would work...

Also, I recall that when Buckingham Phase II was under consideration, a lot of the criticisms of that project was that it wasn't being built by any single school and that, moreover, no schools are biting on the prospect of leasing at that location right now. I'm not sure this one is any better. I'm guessing that this will either take years upon years to be completed or will never happen.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 2:31 AM
Urbane observer

I don't know that the parking is necessarily for the building residents, but it might be useful for the retail and there's a pretty healthy market from commuter students. Even if you charge good money for it, it helps make your project more attractive, particularly to upper-classmen, than competitors.

Zoning doesn't require any setbacks, but it's the only sensible way to design the building. A double-loaded residential building is 70-75 feet across. On this site, you'd naturally put the tower east-west, the long way, with property line setbacks to the north and south allowing windows there, and elevators on the west end next to the L track noise.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 3:02 AM
Chicago Kid

Speaking of private student projects. Whatever happened to that black mies inspired offset cube student housing project on wabash parking lot (or near it) in the loop for Depaul/Roosevelt area?

That was the most promising project for that area of the loop. I hope it gets built. Maybe it's just the mies fan in me. Though surprisingly a lot of people here didn't like it. Please post new renders or news if anyone knows about it.

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...n-the-area.php

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 3:10 AM
vertical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I don't know that the parking is necessarily for the building residents, but it might be useful for the retail and there's a pretty healthy market from commuter students. Even if you charge good money for it, it helps make your project more attractive, particularly to upper-classmen, than competitors.

Zoning doesn't require any setbacks, but it's the only sensible way to design the building. A double-loaded residential building is 70-75 feet across. On this site, you'd naturally put the tower east-west, the long way, with property line setbacks to the north and south allowing windows there, and elevators on the west end next to the L track noise.
On a wider site, it would be interesting to do a vertical courtyard building, with the elevators/service core shared at the rear. The downside is, of course, you're building twice as many hallways.

Bringing daylight down into the courtyard would be an interesting challenge...

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashingLights View Post
Speaking of private student projects. Whatever happened to that black mies inspired offset cube student housing project on wabash parking lot (or near it) in the loop for Depaul/Roosevelt area?

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...n-the-area.php
Ditto. I loved that render and I've been hoping to hear more about it.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 1:54 PM
born again cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashingLights View Post
Though surprisingly a lot of people here didn't like it. Please post new renders or news if anyone knows about it.
really? i don't remember that it got too strong of a negative response here, in fact, i remember most being super-stoked about it, myself included. what an amazingly cool project.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 2:29 PM

^^^
I loved it too; I only remember seeing one post from someone who said they didn't like Miesian boxes... they were appropriately censured.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 2:59 PM
you know where I'll be

^ ^^ I loved it too. It was designed by one of the firms formed from DeStefano, right? Honestly I have trouble keeping them straight at this point....I think both of their websites are still under construction.....

Also, great news on VDT designing anything new downtown as far as I'm concerned.....looking forward to renders...

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Haven't heard much about this proposal in a while so I guess I'll spill a little information. A high rise of this size is still very much in play... the guys at Cannon Design here in Chicago are working through another few rounds of design for the developer and from the few I have seen, they ALL blow the initial design out of the water. We might see something official get released in the next few months in which case I am sure that everyone here will be very pleased.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 1:51 AM

^^^^^^
If I remember correctly, wasn't there also a proposal for a highrise to be located on the surface parking lot that is just south of 333 S. Wacker? It would be incredible to see one day, the Willis Tower, 333 S. Wacker (friends call this the birthday cake tower), the proposal for the building on its surface lot, and Wacker Plaza lined up in a row for all to see. Hopefully SCB doesn't ruin either project.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 2:27 AM
vertical

No, IIRC the proposal was for the grassy plaza of 333. The parking lot would remain, probably because Jackson is a far more visible street than Van Buren.

The original proposal 20 years ago was for a second and third tower identical to 333. I'm glad that didn't happen... Someone (STR?) showed a rendering once and it was unspeakably ugly and bulky.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations