HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 4:04 AM
Registered

Man, that Clare sure is a hulk...

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 4:24 AM

^Yes, it is. However, every time I look at it I can't help but think of how (contextually) refreshing it is, though. It has a nice, unique shape that is pretty bold and in-your-face, but it works for me. I would say that I wish it would have treaded a little more lightly on the environment in which it was placed, but compared to the way contemporaries have respected their neighbors (or rather mocked them) it really isn't so bad. A lighter touch on the parking structure would have been appreciated, even if it visually compliments the tower itself rather nicely.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 4:35 AM
Registered

^ Yeah, I don't necessarily dislike it, but I don't think there's much grace there, even though the designers clearly had that in mind. I definitely would have preferred it in another location - with a bit more breathing room.

It doesn't feel much like "home" because the elements are too repetitive and monotonous, like a giant Portman hotel maybe, without the creativity. It does look straight out of Dallas or Atlanta or somewhere like that.

The detailing is weak and the material palette too naive. It's simultaneously too much and not enough. If it had been clad in a Sofitel-like glass, one might have really appreciated the curve and the cut-out would have had a nice interplay of reflections. The way they are now, one has to think the architects were saying, "Whoa, that's a helluva lot of building to put on that corner."

It's just kind of an agreeable dud to me.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 5:21 AM

I would definitely agree with your assessment above, particularly about the glass. Also, your phrasing of "simultaneously too much and not enough" really nails why it doesn't quite work completely for me.

As far as the connection of the design with the aesthetics of other cities, I suppose I could see Atlanta and Dallas, but what city really sticks out in my mind (especially when viewing the third and fourth photos of cityofblindinglights's post) is Dubai. Something about the treatment of the horizontal elements and that heavily-massed pinnacle really resonates with a lot of the new stuff going up there.

I will say that it does have considerably more appeal in person, and even more so from afar where its visuals are interpreted in a larger scope of context (really starting to sound like a backhanded compliment). Perhaps the details don't look as fudged from far away because, well, you can't discern that there really aren't any, at least any that add value.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
I forgot to mention earlier that this project could be a candidate for tallest dorm in the world. Dan in Chicago, do you know who holds the title now? I know the dorm in Normal, IL is up there among the tallest with a top out at 300 feet, 27 stories. This one could clear 400'.
U Penn has some tall tower dorms; they might be more than 27 stories (though likely fall short of 37).

Shawn, aren't you one of the people who has access to the full Emporis database?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 1:20 PM

[QUOTE=honte;3872715
It doesn't feel much like "home" because the elements are too repetitive and monotonous, like a giant Portman hotel maybe, without the creativity. It does look straight out of Dallas or Atlanta or somewhere like that.

.[/QUOTE]

I agree here. It reminds me of an early 80's Portman hotel in Atlanta. Good call.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
From last week

Full Size
From where was this incredible shot taken? I am having trouble placing it along the Lake St. green line since the view seems to line up with Monroe/Adams.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCliff View Post
From where was this incredible shot taken? I am having trouble placing it along the Lake St. green line since the view seems to line up with Monroe/Adams.
Laramie sta ( the corner of Brachs is visible on the left )

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 4:28 PM

Not sure if someone has previously reported it, but Case has some equipment (inc. assembled foundation crane) on site at 200 W Lake. Looks like this one might get underway pretty soon.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 4:42 PM
oops.

Quote:

HOW TO RUIN A BUILDING: CHICAGO STYLE

*see also / THE WIT

...lame... when will people realize how unbelievably tacky painted concrete looks? also, honte, i think your assessment of this building is WAY too harsh. i like its rather raw and utilitarian feel... well, likED

...it could have been a wonderfully stark contrast to the surrounding bourgeois gold coast no?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 4:53 PM
oops.

has anyone else seen how great burnham pointe turned out? it fits in seamlessly with the pre-existing urban fabric. if this is considered a 'filler' building, i'd like to see more.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
has anyone else seen how great burnham pointe turned out? it fits in seamlessly with the pre-existing urban fabric. if this is considered a 'filler' building, i'd like to see more.
that one turned out a lot glassier than i realized, especially from the river

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 12:29 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
HOW TO RUIN A BUILDING: CHICAGO STYLE

..it could have been a wonderfully stark contrast to the surrounding bourgeois gold coast no?
I guess, but the way to win points for Modernism is not to crash their sophisticated tea party with a brutish and thoroughly plebian presence.

Anyway, I liked it better unpainted too. Far better.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 6:10 AM
BANNED

Uhhh guys...

I'm not so sure that 560 N. Fairbanks is dead. I just walked by the site tonight and there is a Cassion drill rig thing with several 1.5 foot wide cassion holes drilled. Also, there were a couple of back hoes and other earth moving equipment in addition to assorted smaller things like some kind of pump or something. I don't know what they are doing there, but they are definitely building something and its not small...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 11:04 AM

How is the demo for the Ritz Carlton progressing? I saw a quarter page ad for this in the Asian edition of the Financial Times about three weeks ago, so it seems that they're still alive, in some sense. I know they got a loan, but in this climate--and with their project in LA losing about 20 buyers recently who had "reservations", who knows? I imagine some people would rather have this one die; I like it if only because it'll obscure that awful semi-pomo Omni up the block.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
I forgot to mention earlier that this project could be a candidate for tallest dorm in the world. Dan in Chicago, do you know who holds the title now? I know the dorm in Normal, IL is up there among the tallest with a top out at 300 feet, 27 stories. This one could clear 400'.
It's possible. New York City has a couple of tall mixed-use buildings with dormitory space, including The Epic, a 615-foot building on 31st Street, and the Marymount University Dormitory (473'). London is currently constructing Nido Spitalfields, which at 367' will tie the Dobie Center in Austin for the tallest all-dormitory building known to Emporis.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 3:15 PM
Content provider

I saw equipment at 200 w Lake on friday from the L. Definitely seemed to be starting

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Uhhh guys...

I'm not so sure that 560 N. Fairbanks is dead. I just walked by the site tonight and there is a Cassion drill rig thing with several 1.5 foot wide cassion holes drilled. Also, there were a couple of back hoes and other earth moving equipment in addition to assorted smaller things like some kind of pump or something. I don't know what they are doing there, but they are definitely building something and its not small...
Yeah, I saw that. Does anyone know if there is a freight tunnel under the site? The caisson drill could be in the process of drilling an access hole to fill the tunnel with grout. I would imagine that could up the resale value of the property if it has already been done.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Chicago View Post
It's possible. New York City has a couple of tall mixed-use buildings with dormitory space, including The Epic, a 615-foot building on 31st Street, and the Marymount University Dormitory (473'). London is currently constructing Nido Spitalfields, which at 367' will tie the Dobie Center in Austin for the tallest all-dormitory building known to Emporis.
Wicked. So if this new tower really is all-dormitory, then we have a new world record; unless a taller obscure dorm tower is found in China or somewhere else that is relativity undocumented.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 4:23 PM

200 W Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchii View Post
I saw equipment at 200 w Lake on friday from the L. Definitely seemed to be starting
Yup - caisson drill from CASE Foundations.
Thursday the 23rd ( it was mounted by Friday afternoon ).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations