HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 12:15 AM

Lurie Children's Hospital was moved to the completed list on p.1, and the Hyatt McCormick Place North Tower was added to the construction list.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew|W View Post
Honestly, if all buildings were designed to be "timeless," we would have a pretty boring city.
You'd have (sections of) Paris, which is not a terrible thing.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 6:31 PM
vertical

^^ That was my first thought too.

Chicago architects don't seem to have a very good sense of proportion when doing traditional design, though, because their 1980s postmodern education focused on only the superficial appearance and not on internal order and harmony.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 11:22 PM

All tonight
I apologize for the large photos. I have a new camera and haven't figured out the resizing yet, but was excited to post!

Coast

Last edited by J_M_Tungsten; Jun 12, 2012 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 11:38 PM

Tri-hotel/amli

I have K2 updates, but I will try posting when I can figure out how to resize my pictures

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 12:12 PM

^^^^^^
WOW! Super job!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 1:08 PM
dream fast

Thanks for those updates, JMT.^ I like the large pics.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^^ That was my first thought too.

Chicago architects don't seem to have a very good sense of proportion when doing traditional design, though, because their 1980s postmodern education focused on only the superficial appearance and not on internal order and harmony.
... or playing nice with their neighbors. This is more a problem of contemporary developers than Chicago architects, but buildings today never seem to be built with the idea that there might someday be something different next door in mind. We don't get the nice, consistent streetwalls that used to be built.

Also, Chicago NEEDS to mandate underground parking garages. It's becoming a really unfortunate city to walk around, when the second floor of every building is the start of a blank or pathetically decorated concrete wall that rises another 8 stories from the street. In New York, even with new buildings, if you look up to the second floor you see someone's living room. Whatever the cost or impact on the amount of development, that needs to happen immediately.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 9:59 PM

^^
I'm not sure we should make anything necessary. One of the great things about Chicago is the cheapness of housing. Maybe a better way to do it would be to offer tax incentives to, among other urban planning niceties, put parking underground. In many areas this will of course never happen as parking podiums offer a perfect opportunity for Alderman to mandate residents' views be saved with a slender tower on top of a parking podium.

I also really like the way those windows louver open on the tri-hotel. It adds a really nice (changing) texture to the building.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 12:00 AM
vertical

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
... or playing nice with their neighbors. This is more a problem of contemporary developers than Chicago architects, but buildings today never seem to be built with the idea that there might someday be something different next door in mind. We don't get the nice, consistent streetwalls that used to be built.

Also, Chicago NEEDS to mandate underground parking garages. It's becoming a really unfortunate city to walk around, when the second floor of every building is the start of a blank or pathetically decorated concrete wall that rises another 8 stories from the street. In New York, even with new buildings, if you look up to the second floor you see someone's living room. Whatever the cost or impact on the amount of development, that needs to happen immediately.
Consistent streetwalls don't allow developers to maximize their returns, because buildings in such an environment have units with street views - the valuable ones - and ones in the back that face an alley, which are less valuable. Mid-block buildings can never have corner units, either.

In Paris and some parts of New York, it's less of a problem because people buy into neighborhoods, not into buildings. The amenities and views in a particular building don't factor in because the people who move there expect to spend most of their time out in the city. Apartments are differentiated by location, finishes and the efficiency of the layout.

On the other hand, the Chicago model is based on Canadian cities like Vancouver and Toronto - heavily oriented around the developer's right to maximize profits and disguised with straw men about "short fat buildings blocking out the sun". It would be interesting to take an area of Chicago with good transit access and abolish all parking requirements within the zone while encouraging streetwall development, as an experiment. Motor Row is a good candidate - nobody really lives there now, so there's nobody to complain about street parking issues and so forth, and it has easy access to two L lines and good bike infrastructure.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:46 AM
Urbane observer

I think it's unrealistic to expect developers in Chicago to limit the windowline until land is so expensive they have to. The developer of a new building is not competing with the purchaser's platonic ideal of what a condo is, he's competing with the other condos on the market. The ones with windows and views are always going to sell better.

This became a real dilemma for the planning of Central Station. Twenty years ago, many of us thought Roosevelt should have a masonry streetwall like Michigan Avenue does, to similarly frame Grant Park. The PD said it would. But once it became apparent that there was no market for office space, that had to be put aside because you just can't build big new residential buildings with no windows on the sides.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:17 AM
High above the Gold Coast

Photo of AMLI tonight. I was attempting to do this handheld and will bring a tripod next time.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 6:35 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That's a pretty steady hand. I've tried shots like that without a tripod that turned out far worse.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 6:54 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

Good call. It seems the central part of the CBD is the only place in the metro area that attempts to maintain a solid streetwall.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 6:42 PM

General Growth is looking to vacate their current office on Wacker and is looking relocate nearby. Thwir CEO noted that "an exact location is still being decided, the relocation team is focused on downtown Chicago and we are reviewing offices within blocks of our current location."

That existing location is just prime for a couple of bulldozers and a new office building.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 6:43 PM

^^^^^^
I wonder how much square footage they require?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 7:02 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormFire View Post

That existing location is just prime for a couple of bulldozers and a new office building.
I hope it stays what it is. It's nice variation plus, more importantly, it means there's a nice view of the Lyric Opera building from the Wolf Point area. I think that view would be worse if Lyric were mostly obscured by some new building. It also helps let in a lot of light to the Wacker Corridor.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 7:28 PM

Yeah. The General Growth Building is awesome. It would be a real shame if anything happened to it.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormFire View Post
General Growth is looking to vacate their current office on Wacker and is looking relocate nearby. Thwir CEO noted that "an exact location is still being decided, the relocation team is focused on downtown Chicago and we are reviewing offices within blocks of our current location."

Now that Wolf Point and River Point have active plans, the General Growth site, with its river views and Wacker address, seems to be the last remaining heavily underutilized piece of real estate in the Loop.

Last edited by Marcu; Jun 14, 2012 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 8:48 PM

Any renderings for development around United Center and new Berto Center?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations