HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 6:27 PM

353 N Clark

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 10:05 PM

A few skyline shots

A few more morning shots from last week - it's that time of year ( all are from Ridgeland station on the Green line).

Oct 20 am

Oct 20 pm

Oct 21 am

Oct 22 am

Halloween comes early.

Full Size

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 10:27 PM
Registered

Harry, I'm sure more than a few people have decided to move here just because of your photographs.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
A few more morning shots from last week - it's that time of year ( all are from Ridgeland station on the Green line).

Oct 21 am

Full Size
A damn fine photograph my friend. Positively menacing.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 4:05 AM

^^^F@%King Sweet.

Harry, that is my new wallpaper. Three things I love are in that shot: Skyline, trains, and menacing looking weather.

Some stale month old SoNo West pics, 09-22-2008

Precast looks so much better when not trying to imitate a real stone product, I like this a lot:

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 5:45 AM

Were the foundations for SoNo East done at the same time as for West? It would appear little has been done on the east tower; on hold indefinitely until market conditions improve?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
^^^F@%King Sweet.
Agreed, that is nice. I basically hate concrete as an exposed building material (always looks cold sterile and cheap to me), but if more architects started actually caring about it like that, I might start changing my mind.

Also, I heard on the radio that there is a scafolding collapse and small fire at a construction site on Ohio between Orleans and Wells. Is that Silver Tower?
Hopefully everyone is all right.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Were the foundations for SoNo East done at the same time as for West? It would appear little has been done on the east tower; on hold indefinitely until market conditions improve?
no, the foundations for the east tower wern't drilled.

Wouldn't it be nice, that when market conditions improve, if the height of the east tower were increased?

No, I haven't heard anything about that happening, I was just dreaming...

But, wouldn't it be nice?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 8:22 PM
Onkel Dagobert

HarryC,
Is that a secret screen shot from the movie sequel to Independence Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Oct 21 am

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 2:02 AM
shy city

Parkview West

Taken 10-18:

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 5:59 AM
vertical

Found on Hartshorne Plunkard's website:

Huron/Orleans Tower
(I believe this is different from the "300 West Huron" proposal awhile back)

1372 North Milwaukee (currently a Walgreens & associated parking lot)

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 6:36 AM

^Great, so the seven-story condo that was proposed for this plot was axed for being "out of character with the neighborhood", and then they approve a decidedly hideous (albeit from a rendering) three-story parking garage that clashes even more with the buildings in the vicinity than the previous proposal did? By the way, the name for the project set to be produced on the plot of land in question is called the Wicker Park Collection (according to the banner placed on the side of the Walgreen's a little while ago). While I will be glad to see the Walgreen's finally go, this is not the appropriate project to take its place.

What I also don't understand is the disparate renderings on HPA's website (also presented above). They clearly can't be for the same project. In fact, the top rendering for the project in the above post looks very similar to the project that wasn't given the go-ahead, and indeed it would be highly unlikely that a parking garage should have balconies (although I wouldn't put it past some idiotic developer to do so in an act of unabashed deception).

So now the Walgreen's surface lot and the surface lot for Midwest Bank are now both slated to be future plush accommodations for automobile whores -- fantastic. I can't wait to have to dodge even more manic drivers on the great "pedestrian" street that is Milwaukee Avenue. On second thought, there will probably be so much gridlock now that it will be even easier to bike right past them with ease.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
...snip...
So now the Walgreen's surface lot and the surface lot for Midwest Bank are now both slated to be future plush accommodations for automobile whores -- fantastic. I can't wait to have to dodge even more manic drivers on the great "pedestrian" street that is Milwaukee Avenue. On second thought, there will probably be so much gridlock now that it will be even easier to bike right past them with ease.
Don;t forget to smile and wave as you zip past those participating in the traffic jams

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 10:31 AM

Streeter Place

Oct 24 A fine job of matching the painted columns with the trees.

Oct 22 I like the mix of building colors here.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 12:55 PM

161 W Kinzie

Moving along

Oct 16

Oct 20

Oct 24

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 5:00 PM
Registered

Hyde Park condos may replace shopping plaza
150-unit project has resident support, needs city OK

http://www.suntimes.com/business/124...hyde28.article

Quote:
October 28, 2008

BY DAVID ROEDER AND FRAN SPIELMAN droeder@suntimes.com/fspielman@suntimes.com

A developer has asked city officials for authority to tear down a 1960s shopping plaza in Hyde Park and replace it with high-rise housing built over new stores and offices.

The project involves a 2.5-acre parcel at 5101 S. Harper, currently the home of the Village Center shopping mall. The property owner, Antheus Capital LLC, wants to build 150 condominiums atop a parking structure and a commercial base.

Eli Ungar, Antheus chairman, said the company is well-capitalized and isn't afraid of starting its project in a slow market for home sales. "Hyde Park is different," he said. "It hasn't seen a lot of new construction in the last 20 years."

The developer hired well-known Chicago architect Jeanne Gang to design the complex. Gang employs sunscreens that the residents can open or close, changing the building's appearance depending on the time of day.
Sounds a bit like her old vision for Aqua...

Very glad to see they are still moving forward with this project - looks like a great addition to the South Side.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 5:40 PM

Village Center is mostly hideous architecturally, and of poor urban form. As an added insult, it replaced a very handsome, dense brick structure of around 6-7 stories. At present, Village Center is borderline blight.

This is a very positive development. Previous renderings show that this will be a very interesting and attractive design (what else to expect from Gang?), though maybe not as groundbreaking/noteworthy/remarkable as nearby Solstice. The streetwalls along Hyde Park Blvd and Lake Park will have a dramatic impact on making the neighborhood feel more lively and intense.

Preckwinkle seems sure to approve this. The trick is making sure Hyde Park doesn't wind up with yet another vacant lot resulting from the myriad of reasons that prevent development in the neighborhood. The 17-story building at 53rd/Cornell seems to be flatlining, along with the 8-story proposal for the McMobil site at 53rd/Kimbark. Then there's the Dr.'s Hospital fiasco, the St. Stephen's Church albatross, the Promontory Point gradually sinking into the lake...

Last edited by VivaLFuego; Oct 28, 2008 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 5:50 PM
Windy City Dan

I'll all for that building at Huron and Orleans, all that's there right now is a crummy brick garage, total eyesore. The proposed building looks like it has some promise, although I'm a bit skeptical about the base. I wonder if this is a legitimate proposal or another pipe dream. Good find none the less.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 2:13 AM
The City

I really hope AC has some success with these Gang projects in Hyde Park. So far there is no info on sales for Solstice, a building that I have categorized as belonging on my short "must-build" list

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 4:41 AM

Silver Tower

353 N. Clark

161 W. Kinzie

Random Loop shot as seen from Millennium Park

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations