HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Roosevelt Collection:
Holy crap forgot about this one. How do we let this go so unnoticed?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 5:21 PM

^Because it's too short. . .

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
You guys are way too harsh on Herman Crown Center. It's nicely modern and seems more sensitive to the Auditorium Building than the proposed high-rise might be.
Yup.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 6:56 PM
c h i c a g o

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=33060

Plans scrapped for Marriott Edition on Mag Mile
(Crain’s) — Marriott International Inc. and a Chicago developer have dropped their plans to bring Marriott’s “Edition” high-end boutique hotel brand to the Magnificent Mile.

Washington, D.C.-based Marriott and Chicago-based Monaco Development LLC say they have terminated their management agreement for the 330-room hotel in a high-rise planned at 150 E. Ontario St. Marriott and renowned hotel designer Ian Schrager launched the Edition brand in early 2008, with plans to open as many as 100 hotels around the world.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 7:23 PM

^ GREAT NEWS. There was not one thing "high-end" about the architecture of the monstrosity they had planned.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 7:30 PM
BANNED

^^^^I have not really beeen paying attention is 150 East Delaware dead as a door nail as a result??

Man our hotel proposals are dropping like flies in raid fog

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Wasn't the consensus with this one to post it in the Rundown because of its size? If a moderator wants to move it to the General Developments they can do so.

---------------------------------------

News about 150 E. Ontario is infuriating, to say the very least. What a bunch of bullshit. Now we have demolished even more of a rapidly-disappearing breed of building stock in River North/Streeterville/what-have-you, and we are getting absolutely nothing out of it. Unbelievable.

I do agree, though, that the design for the high-rise wasn't promising, but I still think the end product could have looked decent.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Now we have demolished even more of a rapidly-disappearing breed of building stock in River North/Streeterville/what-have-you, and we are getting absolutely nothing out of it. Unbelievable.
There ought to be a law. Seriously. The city shouldn't allow demo of existing usable structures until financing, permits and plans have all been secured and finalized.

I'm sure there are logistical reasons as to why this isn't possible, but stuff like this is infuriating.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 11:19 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
but they have this super cheap deal struck with P&H. I mean P&H does the trick, but Loyola needs buildings that are more like the Information Commons and Clare, and less like Baumhart.
I thought it was SCB. Still, they need to bring in some other architects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojava View Post
Plans scrapped for Marriott Edition on Mag Mile
Crappy news after tearing down those older buildings.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 11:46 PM
THAT Guy

Saw these on VDTA updated website. I'm not sure if they're real, current designs or just conceptual.

222 W Randolph
For Chicago developer John Buck Company, we have designed this 48 story, 1.34 million GSF office tower for a prime location in Chicago's Loop. The building will contain 1.14 million SF of leasable area, 21,000 SF of retail and parking for 606 cars. Sustainable building features include green roofs and self-shading curtain walls designed to mitigate solar gain. A bold cantilever on the 21st floor creates a mid-level terrace with a green roof.

Columbia College Chicago Campus Center
The building was conceived as a simple sculptural block of fourteen floors with a traditional core serving all levels. This defined large floor plates or "universal space" which could be adapted to the changing needs of an arts and media school. The building's image is a by-product of its structural exo-skeleton of a small diameter pre-fabricated concrete-sheathed steel tubes inset in a diamond pattern. A monumental star begins at the street level, winding around the exterior of the building as it connects the lower floor floors which are devoted to a student center. The stair sets up a spiraling pattern that extends from grade to the green roof.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 12:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I thought it was SCB. Still, they need to bring in some other architects.

Crappy news after tearing down those older buildings.
Haha, oh yeah, I was thinking P&W (and somehow ended up saying P&H) because I confused the one exception to their contract with the actual contract. You are correct, their contract is with SCB, but the Clare (which I was thinking about) and is the exception to their contract is Perkins and Will. So you are correct, I switched P&W with SCB in my head.

In any case, you get the picture, they are very stubborn in considering doing anything more radical than the Information Commons...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 1:40 AM
The City

Wow, the news keeps getting worse and worse....

Spyguy, that John Buck tower looks friggin WACK!

But if Hines can't built 444 W Lake, we might as well wave 'tata' to any major developments of any kind downtown for the next several years!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 2:18 AM

^ Great find, spyguy. So that's what Buck is hoping to replace the Walgreen's with. There's an awful lot going on. Are those v's for Valerio? I dig the campus center design and am glad to see Columbia stepping up its game. (I know that project's been in the works for a few years now...)

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 3:28 AM
Urbane observer

I'm pretty sure Valerio doesn't have a commission for the Columbia campus center. They did the campus master plan that calls for such a building, and they've been doing renderings ever since in the hope that they might get chosen.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 9:56 AM
Yank in Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Aww that's ridiculous. This site is huge and this project is gonna be huge, and if they ever get around to the tower components, there will be some height to be reckoned with.

I'm always surprised the Roosevelt Collection doesn't get more attention, it's just as visible as OMPW is from the Roosevelt 'L' station and I feel like anyone waiting on the platform, or running to Target could always snap a pic or two.

BUILD IT. BUILD EVERYTHING. BUILD IT ALL.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 1:52 PM

I think Roosevelt Collection will have a huge impact in the South Loop and shouldn't be ignored on this forum. It was built on a ugly, vacant piece of land that will bring new life to Roosevelt. I have been dissapointed on the lack of updates, honestly.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 2:28 PM

Roosevelt Collection, not significant enough? :facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Aww that's ridiculous. This site is huge and this project is gonna be huge, and if they ever get around to the tower components, there will be some height to be reckoned with.

I'm always surprised the Roosevelt Collection doesn't get more attention, it's just as visible as OMPW is from the Roosevelt 'L' station and I feel like anyone waiting on the platform, or running to Target could always snap a pic or two.

Looks like 12 storeys to me if you count from Wells and include the Roof slab:

Roof
L8 residential
L7 residential
L6 residential
L5 residential
L4 residential
L3 residential
R2 retail and the Kerasotes theater @ North end
R1 @ Roosevelt St grade. retail and the Kerasotes theater @ North end
P1 parking
P2 parking
P3 @ Wells St. grade. parking

3 tower cranes all with their swing radii overlapping, and not a single incident or accident.
4 piling rigs, driving over 40 miles of pile... that's more than Soldier Field and a record in Chicago.
3 RT cranes
3 concrete pumps was the most we had to bring out on any single day.

87,060 cys of concrete poured to date.
8,014 tons of rebar placed to date.

Still not significant enough for you Tom?

Let me put it in perspective for all of you. If you were to assume a typical highrise floor plate of around 13,000 sf @ 8" thick and deduct about 30,000 cys for the foundation... we could have built a 178 storey building.

Here's some pics

Looking Northwest from the R1 level (Roosevelt Rd. grade)

Disassembling the three tower cranes using a GMK 7550 with luffing jib and mega wing attachment.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 2:59 PM
The City

^ thanks for the update, I agree that RC is worth snapping shots of.

I hope that a developer some day comes in and builds another project between RC and the river, also contributing to a river walk.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 3:05 PM

It is amazing the change Roosevelt collection has made. Metra/Amtrak will
always make the west side of the River by Roosevelt hard to develop unless they move the yard. I wonder if the government ever plans on ever taking out the old no longer used railroad bridges?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 4:47 PM

I have no problem with people talking about Roosevelt Collection here. . . help yourselves. . . I was merely answering a question as to why it doesn't get more attention on a "skyscraper" forum. . .

. . .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations