HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 5:04 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

the movie theater in RC will be a great boost to the area.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 8:39 PM
BANNED

It cannot recall does RC call for two towers or one....I thought 2 at about 20 and 40 stories but don't seem to remember. the render on the rc site looks like only 1??

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
It cannot recall does RC call for two towers or one....I thought 2 at about 20 and 40 stories but don't seem to remember. the render on the rc site looks like only 1??
Just one, 40 storey tower. It will occupy the Northwest corner of the site.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 4:36 AM
(the rascacielo freak)

It's probably already been sighted...

But I came across one of those "Public Notices" mentioning a 419 Ft. tall building....

At the corner of Van Buren and Wabash (currently a paved surface parking lot). It mentions "from downtown mixed use district to residential - institutional planned development."

I assume this is a high-rise college dorm tower.

Any renderings or expected date for breaking ground???

NEVER MIND... I SEE IT ON PAGE 50 NOW.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 4:36 AM
Registered

^ I think that was supposed to also be a dorm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
^I believe that is by Andrew Rebori and rated Orange. Roosevelt purchased it last year. Since they only mention demo of Herman Crown, let's cross our fingers.

Also, that new building is HUGE! What's the deal there? How can they possibly use all of that space? If you look closely, the plan is "L" shaped and it looks like it runs to the corner of Wabash and Van Buren.

Booth Hansen has been doing a lot of work for Roosevelt in the last few years. This could be their largest structure,
Sorry I am late to respond... it's been a bad week. In any case, this is regarding the Fine Arts Annex building next to the Crown Center.

Loopy, you are correct about the architect and the Orange rating.

Last I heard on this one, it would join the prestigious ranks of Wabash facadectomies. I think they were talking about leaving 40 feet or so of the building. I personally might take a "Legacy" position on this one given the nice quality of the proposed building and the major positive impact it makes on the streetwall ... maybe. It's worth noting that the Rebori building did at one time (not sure if any longer) have a very interesting interior quality and interesting functional program, so it's not a "skin deep" loft building as was artificially claimed at the Legacy.

I really wish people here would consider more-creative solutions than facadectomies. In fact, the BH design shown on the previous pages just screams out, "I am suspending myself over a significant older building to preserve it." I'm still waiting for someone here to do a design like that. If OMA and Hadid can cantilever buildings over plazas for essentially no reason, I'm sure Chicago can figure out a way to do this to save older buildings.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 4:52 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

The Skyline
By Blair Kamin
The latest new wrinkle in tall buildings: A skyscraper for seniors

From Sunday's print edition. Originally posted: February 20, 2009

With millions of Baby Boomers nearing their 65th birthday and yuppies turning into “ruppies” (retired urban people), it was only a matter of time before the world got something like The Clare at Water Tower, a stylish skyscraper in which to grow old.

But it took an architect with the skill and artistry of Ralph Johnson, a principal at the Chicago office of Perkins+Will, to ensure that this 54-story high-rise would nestle so deftly into the cityscape and provide a humane environment for its residents, some of whom get around with walkers and white canes.....

Continue reading at: http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/theskyline/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 4:59 AM

Last edited by Loopy; May 17, 2010 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
If OMA and Hadid can cantilever buildings over plazas for essentially no reason, I'm sure Chicago can figure out a way to do this to save older buildings.

Maybe Helmut paved the way with 600 N Fairbanks? You've talked about it before but I think it's a point worth repeating: There's not much of a middle ground in this city. Buildings are either razed or preserved totally in tact, no contemporary addition or progressive rereading.

To be fair, other American cities haven't done a great job, either. I mean, you have an architect as high profile and acclaimed as Norman Foster make a total mess of the old Hearst building. Cesar Pelli's proposed addition to South Station is similarly awkward.

Has anyone seen this one by Garofalo Architects?

http://www.garofaloarchitects.com/work/noble/noble.html

I wish projects like that happened more often. Maybe one day we'd even get something like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/javier1949/2634431378/

...although, given the treatment of the interior, I guess that's the definition of facadectomy?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 7:02 AM
BANNED

Nothing like the new raping the old!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 4:07 PM
Exhale solutions.

Quote:
I mean, you have an architect as high profile and acclaimed as Norman Foster make a total mess of the old Hearst building.
Your kidding right?

I've honestly never read anything but praise for how successful the design of this building is. You didn't really expect them to build a 40 floor historic limestone edifice did you? It was a great design program to build a striking state of the art modern expression while preserving a handsome base from a bygone era. The two contrast very while with one another. If the Hearst Building is a "failure", that must mean just about 95% of everything built is a complete disaster.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 4:48 PM

^ Er... if I gush over HdeM's CaixaForum, what makes you think I'd advocate for a "40 foot historic limestone edifice"? As for never reading anything but praise for the design, I think this review might at least be a helpful "devil's advocate" for you. The bit about "prototype buildings" that lack a "program and a site" rings especially true if you've ever seen his Pritzker Tower design for Chicago.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 6:30 PM
dream fast

[QUOTE=Ch.G, Ch.G;4101204]

Maybe Helmut paved the way with 600 N Fairbanks? You've talked about it before but I think it's a point worth repeating: There's not much of a middle ground in this city. Buildings are either razed or preserved totally in tact, no contemporary addition or progressive rereading.

To be fair, other American cities haven't done a great job, either. I mean, you have an architect as high profile and acclaimed as Norman Foster make a total mess of the old Hearst building. Cesar Pelli's proposed addition to South Station is similarly awkward.

Has anyone seen this one by Garofalo Architects?

http://www.garofaloarchitects.com/work/noble/noble.html

I look at this all the time & say, what the hell? Funny, I'm familiar with Doug's work & wasn't aware he did this. I do like his Green Bay project.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 8:48 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Remember this one?

Church cedes sky
In alderman's view, crowded skies and streets outweighed benefits of proposed high-riseDenied twice, Fourth Presbyterian drops plan to sell air rights on Magnificent Mile.

By Manya A. Brachear and Todd Lighty | Tribune reporters
February 22, 2009

One of the city's most affluent Protestant congregations has abandoned controversial plans to sell lucrative air rights behind its sanctuary that would have allowed for the construction of a high-rise luxury hotel on the Gold Coast.

Fourth Presbyterian Church had long planned to sell the air space over its 1914 neo-Gothic church for about $25 million to pay for expansion and renovation, and to build a new community center in a nearby public housing project.

But after two consecutive proposals were rejected by two consecutive aldermen from the 42nd Ward, the historic house of worship at the north end of the Magnificent Mile has given up on the blueprint for its future.....

Continue reading at: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,6995375.story

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 9:47 PM
BANNED

This proposal was panned by many. My concern is not so much with the proposal(s) dying but with the further evidence that Reilly is an anti-development obstructionist in one of the more dense urban areas in all of North AMerica

He has got to go next time around

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 11:08 PM
The City

^ Yeah, I wouldn't worry. Reilly won't be around forever.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 11:59 PM
BANNED

Ok, here is how we get rid of him, tell everyone that he caused and failed to correct the economic crash! Then tell everyone to vote for me!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
^ Great find, spyguy. So that's what Buck is hoping to replace the Walgreen's with.
The John Buck site lists GREC as the architects... they have a few designs at their site, and some are stunning, especially the "office tower B".

http://www.grecstudio.com/portfolio.html

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 10:20 PM
Registered

Speaking of Buck, I wanted to mention that I drove past 155 N. Wacker's new lobby last night, and it looks like it's going to be pretty sweet. More playful and drynamic than I was expecting, but hopefully as tightly designed as 111 S. I hope someone can go over there and photograph it at night if it's convenient. Sounds like something up Jibba's frozen alley?

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 12:39 AM

Tgrwa

Tylk Gustafson Reckers Wilson ANdrews LLC

Looks like they are calling 225 W VanBuren "Van Buren Franklin Condominiums" They are also cool enough to help sponsor the local Jr. High's theater (The Music Man), my oldest worked crew on this one.

- edit - I see a Reckers girl listed, she was very good.

Last edited by harryc; Feb 23, 2009 at 3:24 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 3:20 AM

theWitt

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations