HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 11:47 PM

San Francisco - The Sunset District

The Sunset is a large neighborhood on the west side of San Francisco. It's population is roughly 50% Asian, which replaced a majority Irish population starting in the 1960's. It's one of the more affordable parts of the city, especially out towards the Ocean. It has two main parts: The denser and more trendy Inner Sunset, and the more middle/working class and quiet Outer Sunset. The entire area used to be sand dunes, and it was one of the last parts of San Francisco to be built out, between 1920 and 1950. Parts of the Inner Sunset have been around since the late 1800's however.

The Outer Sunset:

Ocean Beach. A lot of these pics were taken in one of our 100 degree heat waves we've had this year, hence all the people, and SWIM SUITS!1!! The end must be near:

A more typical evening at the beach:

Next up, the Inner Sunset...

Last edited by tech12; Nov 21, 2008 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 12:04 AM
Only Mostly Dead

The outer Sunset is so tranquil compared to the rest of the city. Especially on one of those unusually warm and clear days, like you've captured here. Very nice collection of photos. I feel more relaxed already.

Quote:
Ocean Beach. A lot of these pics were taken in one of our 100 degree heat waves we've had this year, hence all the people, and SWIM SUITS!1!!
Up to that point I assumed you took these last weekend. It was so warm, we were splashing in the water in Albany.

PS: love the tattooed man-boobs!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
...love the tattooed man-boobs!
Yeah, for a second there I was confused...!

Yes, I agree with PG that you really captured the more "tranquil" feel of the Sunset District so very well. The jellies always seem to be there at Ocean Beach, but I have never seen that many people in swimsuits there ever. You were lucky to be there on that particularly hot day with your camera.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 1:00 AM

Wow, excellent thread. Really nice photos. Great to see a part of SF that isn't widely showcased on here (if ever). What a setting; I could definitely live in a place like that.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 1:49 AM

I always love the threads that show a side of the city that most tourists don't normally see. I often go to the Sunset when I visit the bay area for a particular restaurant. So I've seen this area first hand, but can't recall anyone ever capturing and posting this hood on SSP.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 1:55 AM

Nice pictures. I've never heard of this neighborhood. I am stunned that the area along the ocean is more affordable. That goes against anything that I've ever seen on coastal areas. How come it's like that out there?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 1:57 AM

Wonderful wonderful thread...makes me miss the West Coast I really hope to live here one day, especially around the Sunset/NW quadrant of SF.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 2:08 AM

Awesome pictures, I love seeing the neighborhoods of SF.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 2:33 AM

Good to see the Outer Sunset. I had contemplated taking the L train to the beach, but opted for the N train instead. I made it to West Portal where I walked around the neighborhood, but that's as far as I went on the L train (or maybe it was the M I took there). Anyway, these photos are making me sad that I'm not in San Fran right now. I miss it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. I've never heard of this neighborhood. I am stunned that the area along the ocean is more affordable. That goes against anything that I've ever seen on coastal areas. How come it's like that out there?
I would presume part of the reason for the housing being cheaper closer to the coast is that those areas tend to be more foggy than inner parts of the San Fran peninsula. There isn't any high terrain to block the marine layer from blanketing areas such as the Sunset and Richmond neighborhoods. Meanwhile features like Twin Peaks help to block the shallower marine layer from areas such as the Castro, Noe Valley, and the Mission District.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 2:35 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Because unlike in these wonderful photos this area is always in the fog... more so than the rest of San Francisco.

Great thread tech12, thanks!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Good to see the Outer Sunset. I had contemplated taking the L train to the beach, but opted for the N train through Richmond instead. I made it to West Portal where I walked around the neighborhood, but that's as far as I went.
The N goes through the Sunset as well (the N goes through the Inner Sunset and then on to the Outer Sunset). The Richmond is north of Golden Gate Park.

Quote:
I would presume that a large reason for the housing being chaper closer to the coast is that those areas tend to be more foggy than inner parts of the San Fran peninsula. There isn't any high terrain to block the marine layer from blanketing areas such as the Sunset and Richmond neighborhoods. Meanwhile features like Twin Peaks help to block the shallower marine layer from areas such as the Castro, Noe Valley, and the Mission District.
Fog and cold are some of it, but relative isolation also plays a part. Transit to downtown takes forever on the L or the N, and the retail strips are fewer and farther between - not a lot of trendy places and an almost complete absence of hipsters and yuppies.

The Outer Sunset just isn't dense enough for me, personally. The Inner Sunset however, is one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city. I look forward to that thread.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
The N goes through the Sunset as well (the N goes through the Inner Sunset and then on to the Outer Sunset). The Richmond is north of Golden Gate Park.
Bah, you caught me before I was able to edit my post. I realized right after I hit the submit button that the N traveled a few blocks south of Golden Gate Park, meaning that it also goes through the Sunset. I was hoping to edit before anyone could correct me.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 3:16 AM
Of Heart's Delight

On clear days, it's easily the best neighborhood. The ocean kinda surprises you sometimes.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 3:40 AM
REAL Kiwi!

It is a nice area, saw a couple fixer uppers there too. I wouldnt get to excited about affordable housing on that side of SF......its all relative.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 4:07 AM

What a fantastic tour of a rarely seen SF neighborhood. Fantastic job!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 4:38 AM

Charming area, for sure.

The beach pics surprised me too. Every time I've been there it's been cold, foggy and/or windy.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 4:58 AM
Exploring the world

Love how you captured beach and sky in some of the final pics in your thread. You really bring out the beauty of the California coast. Great photography!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 4:32 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Awesome place!! Awesome neighborhood!!
Awesome photography!!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 8:30 PM
Stay Classy Philadelphia

San Fran just looks very tan to me.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 9:36 PM

Another great thread from Tech. I been curious about western San Francisco and it's beaches, it's pleasing to finally view it! Frisco is unique, a western urban grid city, varied neighborhoods too. I like it! I've always been a fan!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos