HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 11:48 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 7,681
Red face Classic Salt Lake City.

Can we please not fuck this up? Thanks.

In fact, I think if you have any classic photos of Salt Lake you want to post, do so here.

60s:


50s:


40s:


40s:


60s:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 11:58 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 7,681
1920s:


Same area, but in the 60s:



The Walker Center corner prior to the Walker Center, I believe.



LDS Temple, 60s:



Main Street & South Temple, 1950s:



South Temple in 1964:



If I find any more, I'll post 'em!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 1:40 AM
skyguy414 skyguy414 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SLC
Posts: 305
Here are a few I found:

1950's







Photo credits: Charles Weever Cushman Gallery (University of Indiana)

Here is good site for historical photos of Utah: http://history.utah.gov/research_and...tos/index.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 4:58 AM
TANGELD_SLC's Avatar
TANGELD_SLC TANGELD_SLC is offline
The World Is Welcome Here
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 886
These are great photos. It's cool to see the way our city has changed so dynamically over the years. I have some pics of SLC in 2006 b4 Keybank went down... Does that count as "classic"?
__________________
Espavo!

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 5:36 AM
Ronald-Dregan's Avatar
Ronald-Dregan Ronald-Dregan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Lake 801
Posts: 112
I noticed, and it may just be me.. Even the mountins look different back then. which seems weird to me. It's a subtle difference
__________________
Glorified Lurker Extraordinaire
Surfacing out of the sand for air
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 6:48 AM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy414 View Post

Why on earth did we get rid of the street lamps?! If I remember correctly, the last time I was on State Street near the Arcade Building, there were simple T shaped lamps instead of the nicer lamps you see here in this photo.

Last edited by urbanboy; Dec 17, 2008 at 7:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 7:14 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 5,738
So weird without all the highrises. LOL
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 7:20 AM
TANGELD_SLC's Avatar
TANGELD_SLC TANGELD_SLC is offline
The World Is Welcome Here
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald-Dregan View Post
I noticed, and it may just be me.. Even the mountins look different back then. which seems weird to me. It's a subtle difference
I think it's because back then they didn't capture in photos quite the same life-like colors we do nowadays.

Although I noticed the Temple used to be alot darker than it is now. It's kinda cool lookin, it looked older then than it does now

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
Why on earth did we get rid of the street lamps?!
The same reason they got rid of so many good things in our city. Lack of vision, and when they took them out they were most likely considered ugly outdated POS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
So weird without all the highrises. LOL
LOL even though I wouldn't call anything in SLC a highrise.
All we have are low to mid rises.
when we top 500 ft we will have a highrise at long last.
__________________
Espavo!

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 9:08 AM
anyiliang's Avatar
anyiliang anyiliang is offline
加油
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 台灣
Posts: 560
1885 View from Prospect Hill



Photo credits: Charles Roscoe

1897 Eagle Gate



Photo credits: Horace Swartley

1907




1908



Photo credits: Harry Shipler

1910 Eagle Gate



Photo credits: George Lytle

1911



Photo credits: V. C. Ward

1912



Photo credits: L. Hollard.

1913



Photo credits: The Johnson Co.

1920 Main Street Looking South



Photo credits: Shipler Commercial Photographers; Shipler, Harry

1925 Main Street





Photo credits: George Lytle
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 9:43 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 7,681
It's interesting how little Salt Lake changed from the 1920s to the 1960s. That's 40 years with minimal development downtown. I mean, compare the three Main Street shots:

1925



1950s



1960s



The only thing that changed over those 40 years were the Walker Center sign, the trolley, the window covers and a few buildings that were reclad. Nothing else.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 9:49 AM
anyiliang's Avatar
anyiliang anyiliang is offline
加油
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 台灣
Posts: 560
Utah State History



In this 1909 photo, the old Deseret Store is about to be demolished to make room for the Hotel Utah. The curio/souvenir shop has announced its move with a sign. The Deseret Gymnasium is under construction to the right, and the Presiding Bishopric Building, in the rear, has been finished.



Workers building the Hotel Utah pose, 1910



The Joseph Smith Memorial Building (the old Hotel Utah) has stood on the corner for almost 100 years.





South Temple, 1903. Notice the wooden gates on the Temple Square wall. The little building beside the gates was the Bureau of Information, built by the LDS church as a place to dispense information about the church.



South Temple Street and the iron gates to Temple Square today





Near 400 West and South Temple, looking east, 1902. The Bamberger Coal Company is on the left.



400 West and South Temple today.





The northwest corner of South Temple and 1st West (now 200 West), probably early 1900s. This house, built in the 1860s, belonged to George Q. Cannon. After Brigham Young built the ornate Victorian Italianate Gardo House, Cannon remodeled his house drastically to resemble the Gardo House.



The corner of South Temple and 200 West is now a parking lot.





The southeast corner of South Temple and 1st West (now 200 West) c. 1910. A cement or asphalt mixer stands in the street. In the background are the Salt Lake Temple, Assembly Hall, and Hotel Utah. The Golden Rule Store was one of J.C. Penney's early stores; in fact, Penney lived in Salt Lake's Avenues for a time.



South Temple Street and 200 West today





The Cathedral of the Madeleine and the First Presbyterian Church under construction c. 1905. South Temple was a two-level street then, with streetcar tracks running between the two levels.



The city lowered the upper level of the street to make it all one level.





Crowds fill the street as they walk to the Salt Lake Tabernacle to hear William Howard Taft speak in 1909. The Newhouse residence has white columns; to the left is the Rice residence. The Covey Apartments are being built in the background. These apartments still exist, but the grand houses in this photo have been demolished.



The Brigham Apartments now stand where the old mansions once were.





This photo shows the beauty of South Temple Street, with the imposing Newhouse residence, in 1907.



The same spot today has changed dramatically.





Crews at work on streetcar tracks c. 1920. Notice how the tracks were originally laid on a cobblestone street. The Hotel Utah is at right. The Deseret News Building, later the Union Pacific Building and site of Walgreen's, has the rounded corners. The smokestack is part of the heating plant for Temple Square.



Today, the Union Pacific Building and the streetcar tracks are gone, and the Brigham Young Monument no longer stands in the middle of the intersection.





This view from the Hotel Utah shows the Cathedral of the Madeleine in the distance. At right is the Gardo House. Across the street on the corner is the Alta Club; next to it is the former public library.



The same view from the old Hotel Utah (now the Joseph Smith Memorial Building) today.





A mail wagon in 1914. The Gardo House is in the background.



The Eagle Gate Plaza now stands where the Gardo House was.


These photos were provided by Utah State History Picasa Web Albums

http://picasaweb.google.com/StateHistory/SouthTemple#
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 12:09 AM
The Dirt's Avatar
The Dirt The Dirt is offline
Ground Scraper
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,332
Great thread! Judging from these photos, it doesn't look like SLC became overrun with parking lots as badly as Denver or some other great cities of the region.
__________________
"That emoticon is the most foolish thing you have posted in this whole thread full of foolish statements." - Cirrus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 5:53 AM
blazefirelight's Avatar
blazefirelight blazefirelight is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 104
I think that maybe the reason there was no development in Salt Lake City for several decades was because everything was running perfectly well in Salt Lake. There was no need for a ton of development because day-to-day life worked out just fine for several years and there wasn't too much reason to build on.

I think it'd be amazing to go back in time and see how Salt Lake City used to be. Through all of those time periods. To go back and actually be able to experience it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 7:25 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 7,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazefirelight View Post
I think that maybe the reason there was no development in Salt Lake City for several decades was because everything was running perfectly well in Salt Lake. There was no need for a ton of development because day-to-day life worked out just fine for several years and there wasn't too much reason to build on.

I think it'd be amazing to go back in time and see how Salt Lake City used to be. Through all of those time periods. To go back and actually be able to experience it.
A lot of it also has to do with the Great Depression. Prior to that, Salt Lake was booming, as the skyline experienced probably its most dramatic growth from 1900-1925. Then everything went to hell, Utah was hit extremely hard by the economic problems and development stalled. It really didn't pick up again until the First Security Bank Building was built downtown in the 50s (the first tower to be developed since The Hotel Monaco).

That's a long stretch.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 1:32 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,704
Wow. Thanks for starting this thread, Sean...I teach history, and this just became a fantastic resource for my classroom. And thanks to everyone else for contributing photos and ideas...this is great.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 5:56 PM
CANUC CANUC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 496
Holy shit Urbanboy your streets look like highways ...sorry couldn't resist.
__________________
“Yeah, had it in my storage place from when I lived in Phoenix, well I lived in Mesa but when you say Mesa people don’t know what Mesa is…eh, it, it, it’s Phoenix…yeah I lived in Phoenix.”
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 6:28 PM
Scottk's Avatar
Scottk Scottk is offline
Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 219
^

That was unnecessary to say the least. And not very funny either, considering the disaster the last thread turned into.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 6:30 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,685
Here's some stuff I dredged up from the internet:

Old TV Stations:











An old aerial:



Who doesn't already miss these old gems?





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 7:39 PM
justiny justiny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 61
I had no idea KSL was on Social Hall Ave. I guess they stayed there until Triad came along?

BTW great thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 5:20 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 7,681
Na, I think they're just advertising the stations. No way were all three major Salt Lake stations located on the same street (and two in the same building).
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:03 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.