HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Based on options for Broadway Corridor Study, what is your preferred choice?
BRT: Commercial to UBC 22 5.99%
LRT A: Commercial to UBC OR Commercial via VCC to UBC 27 7.36%
LRT B: Main St. to UBC AND Commercial to UBC 14 3.81%
RRT: Commercial to UBC OR VCC to UBC 256 69.75%
COMBO: RRT to Arbutus/LRT to Main St via Arbutus 38 10.35%
BUS: Enhanced Bus Service for all buses to UBC 10 2.72%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 8, 2010, 11:51 PM

This is a good example of what to expect on Broadway with a LRT, probably a bit worse as people are not used to trams out here. In this one you have a small fender bender and then just congestion after they clear it for both cars and trams and tons of interference between cars, trams and people as a result of the congestion. Keep in mind that Prague has a huge metro system and heavy rail system in the city so these trams are just feeder lines, their efficient but not reliable and are used to connect to the metro and rail stations.
Video Link

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post

You also get alot more derailments in a shared right of way, and sometimes bad ones like this one a few years back in Prague that killed two people.

There is actually lots more very serious accidents out there with trams like this. Trams and LRT is most definitely not safer then skytrain and is based on what I always saw pretty dangerous, the long stopping distance, no ability to avoid obstacles and reckless drivers tends to be a bit of a hazard.
See what you get when you have these computer-controlled automated trains running on the streets?
If they had a driver controlling this train nothing like this could have ...
wha?
he was?
speeding?
you sure?

um .... sorry'bout that
... nevermind ....

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
See what you get when you have these computer-controlled automated trains running on the streets?
If they had a driver controlling this train nothing like this could have ...
wha?
he was?
speeding?
you sure?

um .... sorry'bout that
... nevermind ....
Here you go - the new LRT on Broadway
Video Link

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 2:17 PM

All of these examples of tram-bus, tram-car, tram-truck crashes, from fender benders to lethal killers, should make the skytrain rrt option all the more obviously the only one to have.

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 4:43 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
Here you go - the new LRT on Broadway
That is not a streetcar or an LRT. It is the Rähtische Bahn leaving Chur Railway Station. It may be a meter gauge track but it is a heavy rail regional network. The network is spectacular.

Notice how it drags thousands of pedestrians to horrible deaths and crushes hundreds of cars and babystrollers. I found the part where the locomotive stands up and eats the local bus stop very impressive.

Not.

How about some balance here?

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...450&sec=nation

Pun intended.

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezard View Post
That is not a streetcar or an LRT. It is the Rähtische Bahn leaving Chur Railway Station. It may be a meter gauge track but it is a heavy rail regional network. The network is spectacular.

Notice how it drags thousands of pedestrians to horrible deaths and crushes hundreds of cars and babystrollers. I found the part where the locomotive stands up and eats the local bus stop very impressive.

Not.

How about some balance here?

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...450&sec=nation

Pun intended.
That looks like an Adtranz train, which are driver operated. I bet he needed a change of underwear after seeing nothing but asphalt and grass outside the front window.

Thankfully the UBC Line SkyTrain couldn't fall off 'the edge' of its tunnel, unless it's going so fast it builds more tunnel at the UBC end and drops in on Wreck Beach. More likely if it can't stop the first car would be squeezed like an accordion to 1/2 or 1/3 its size, and all the rest if the cars in the train would have lesser crushing damage and end up as scrap after being salvaged for donor parts for the rest of the fleet.

Oh great and wise Zwei;
please tell us how many times SkyTrain has wrecked their trains by hitting the ends of the tunnels or driving over the end of the guideways.

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 10:14 PM
Closed account

Quote:
That looks like an Adtranz train, which are driver operated. I bet he needed a change of underwear after seeing nothing but asphalt and grass outside the front window.

Thankfully the UBC Line SkyTrain couldn't fall off 'the edge' of its tunnel, unless it's going so fast it builds more tunnel at the UBC end and drops in on Wreck Beach. More likely if it can't stop the first car would be squeezed like an accordion to 1/2 or 1/3 its size, and all the rest if the cars in the train would have lesser crushing damage and end up as scrap after being salvaged for donor parts for the rest of the fleet.

Oh great and wise Zwei;
please tell us how many times SkyTrain has wrecked their trains by hitting the ends of the tunnels or driving over the end of the guideways.
What does "driver operated" have to do with anything? That train runs down the Engadinstrasse once an hour. The driver was certainly not shitting himself. Also, the locomotive is a Ge 4/4 built by SLM or BBC.

If you want to talk to Zwei, talk to him, not me.

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
What does "driver operated" have to do with anything? That train runs down the Engadinstrasse once an hour. The driver was certainly not shitting himself. Also, the locomotive is a Ge 4/4 built by SLM or BBC.

If you want to talk to Zwei, talk to him, not me.

I think jsbertram was referring to the accident in Kuala Lumpur which you linked to, rather than the video that lightrail posted.

That's what you get with a driver operated system.. like light rail.

Oh yeah, and this..

Video Link

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 12:27 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
I think jsbertram was referring to the accident in Kuala Lumpur which you linked to, rather than the video that lightrail posted.

That's what you get with a driver operated system.. like light rail.

Oh yeah, and this..
Ah so. So the Kuala Lumpur was an Adtranz, ok, got it.

But automated streetcars would fare even worse than driver operated. Which is why all automated systems, AFAIK, are grade separated; it would be a blood bath otherwise.

BtB, in the video, I counted at least a dozen if not more, collisions and the train didn't derail once. The vehicle occupants might have fared worse than the passengers. The speed appeared to be on the high side for an unsecured grade separation. If that is what people are imagining would be hurtling down Broadway, than they are obviously off their bogie.

Last edited by lezard; May 10, 2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Took out the images

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 1:03 AM
with glowing hearts

The video below is probably the worst streetcar accident ever...if not the worst. The train takes a turn far too quickly, its rear car derails and takes a swipe at everyone waiting on the island platform of the street. I don't remember where this was but quite a few were killed.

Video Link

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 3:53 AM

those drivers deserve it

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 4:04 AM

I doubt that was the worst street car accident in history, from our own province.

http://records.viu.ca/history/temp/bcer/railway.htm

6th paragraph.

I'm sure there are much bigger disasters out there.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Ah so. So the Kuala Lumpur was an Adtranz, ok, got it.

But automated streetcars would fare even worse than driver operated. Which is why all automated systems, AFAIK, are grade separated; it would be a blood bath otherwise.

BtB, in the video, I counted at least a dozen if not more, collisions and the train didn't derail once. The vehicle occupants might have fared worse than the passengers. The speed appeared to be on the high side for an unsecured grade separation. If that is what people are imagining would be hurtling down Broadway, than they are obviously off their bogie.
Amazing number of illegal left turns!

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
The video below is probably the worst streetcar accident ever...if not the worst. The train takes a turn far too quickly, its rear car derails and takes a swipe at everyone waiting on the island platform of the street. I don't remember where this was but quite a few were killed.

I posted the same video on the previous page. Its in Prague and 2 people died, the reason was the driver took the turn to quick.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
Amazing number of illegal left turns!
"Those markings on the road and signs overhead and traffic lights are for DUMB people who DON'T know how to drive, unlike ME whos been driving excelent for years."

"That train just appeared out of nowhere, officer!"

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 7:26 PM

Quote:
"Those markings on the road and signs overhead and traffic lights are for DUMB people who DON'T know how to drive, unlike ME whos been driving excelent for years."

"That train just appeared out of nowhere, officer!"
I've driven in Europe and here's the one and only rule you need to know - trams have the absolute right-of-way. Period. No question. If you hit a tram it's your fault, not the tram's. The tram could be running a red light and it would still be your fault.

So yeild to trams. This is probably why there are more accidents with trams in North America than Europe - people over there generally understand that principle.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renthefinn View Post
I doubt that was the worst street car accident in history, from our own province.

http://records.viu.ca/history/temp/bcer/railway.htm

6th paragraph.

I'm sure there are much bigger disasters out there.
Not wanting to be a stickler for accuracy, but it appears the disaster was caused by a badly-maintained bridge collapsing under the weight of an over-crowded streetcar. If the bridge had been kept in good condition, it's likely the over-crowded streetcar would have crossed safely, and the worst thing that might have happened was some frayed nerves caused by the overcrowded streetcar.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
I believe this is in Prague.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 11:37 PM

Broadway/Lougheed Rapid Transit Line; Phase II - Commercial Drive West

Here's something to read during the commercial breaks while the Canucks are winning tonight. This is a study to determine what to build after the Millennium line to Commercial is finished.

Beyond the B-Line:
Broadway/Lougheed Rapid Transit Line
Phase II - Commercial Drive West

http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/transpor...ndthebline.pdf

from the Executive Summary:

Introduction
Between May and December, 1999, three partner agencies — the City of Vancouver, TransLink and Rapid Transit Project 2000 Ltd. (a Provincial company) — jointly funded and directed a $200,000 rapid transit study. Assisted by transportation and land use professionals, the consultant team examined how public transit could be upgraded along part of the “Broadway corridor”. Currently, a combination of the #99 B-Line (articulated limited stop) plus #9 (regular local) buses serve the corridor.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Here's something to read during the commercial breaks while the Canucks are winning tonight.
Not wanting to be a stickler for accuracy, but ...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure