HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 6:19 PM
Austinite

Thumbs up AUSTIN From Above: Univeristy of Texas and West Campus

Hello again everyone,

Here's my second set of aerials taken over Austin on Sunday December 7th. We'll continue with aerials of the University of Texas campus and the adjacent West Campus neighborhood. Enjoy!

Previous Aerial Set: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=162518

Wide view of University of Texas campus:

Closeup of UT Tower; Flawn Academic Center and Texas (student) Union immediately to the left:

Wide view of the heart of campus, looking southeast. Noteable structures include (but certainly not limited to): Robert Lee Moore hall (center-left, 14-stories, school of engineering), Jesse H. Jones communications building (bottom-left, large brown building w/ no windows, longtime home of Austin City Limits studio), The Castillian (bottom-right, 23-story private dorm), UT Tower (center-right, main administration building), LBJ Presidential Library (top-center), and at top-right; DKR Memorial Stadium (football), Mike A. Meyers stadium (Track and Field) and Disch-Faulk Field (baseball)

Stadium and tower

DKR Memorial and Mike A. Meyers stadiums:

Wide view, with unfortunate late-afternoon glare. The recently upgraded Disch-Faulk baseball stadium is at the top-center. Note that the UT campus has gradually expanded east, across Interstate 35, over the years.

Closeups of Meyers and Disch-Fualk stadiums:

Southern 1/3rd of campus, looking east down 21st St. At top is the recently-expanded Darrell K Royal Texas Memorial Stadium, now boasting 98,000 football gameday capacity.

Another DKR Memorial closeup (yeah, I kind of like this stadium....)

From top-left, counter-clockwise:
Jester dorms, Perry-Castañeda Library, Dobie Tower, UT Executive Conference Center and Hotel, College of Education, Blanton Museum of Art, Jamail swim center.

Looking northeast:

Also looking northeast; Two signficiant developments beyond campus in this shot; East Avenue (upper-center, below Interstate 35), which is a redevelopment of the former Concordia University campus, and Mueller Austin (top-left and center), redevelopment of the city's former airport (Mueller Municipal):

Southern edge of campus. Structures of note: Harry Ransom Center (bottom-right), Dobie Center (28-story private dorm tower, above 2-levels of retail), Blanton Museum of Art (top-left), Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum (top-center) and Littlefield Fountain (bottom-center):

Wider view, with airplane wing:

Wide view, with rapidly densifying West Campus neighborhood in foreground

This shot looks northwest, with UT main Campus on right and West Campus neighborhood on left:

West Campus, including recently topped-out 21-story, 21-Rio residences, at bottom-left:

More 21-Rio

Guadalupe Street, also known as "The Drag" (bottom-center), forms the western boundary of campus. The neighborhood/district immediately beyond is known as West Campus. The 23-story Castilian private dorm tower (bottom-center), sits a half-block west of the UT campus.

Dobie Tower (bottom-center) and the Lower Drag

Wider views of West Campus neighborhood

Thats all for now...

Upcoming threads will include north, central and west Austin aerials. Till then!

Last edited by Mopacs; Dec 26, 2008 at 6:36 PM. Reason: reformatting

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 7:18 PM

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 7:22 PM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Hook em.....Ut is very dense and looks good from above!!!!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 10:58 PM
Squint Like Clint

Great aerial shots!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 11:16 PM
on the south side

The 40 acres definately looking good and West Campus is looking more dense!

Thx Mopacs!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 11:26 PM
Meh

Great thread. This was one I was waiting for with all that new density up there. Impressive.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 4:19 AM
Keep It Weird

Thanks...Aerials are cool! Nice to know there will be more photos coming, maybe I'll see my place in the Central/North groups.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 4:46 AM
Closed account

In the last photo, the entire Allandale neighborhood (where I live) is visible north of campus a few miles.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 11:33 AM

These are sweet! I still remember your Austin aerial thread from a year or two ago taken on a commercial flight shortly after take off. (You were flying to Los Angeles, IIRC.) Man, the skyline has really changed in the past two years. Thanks for sharing these.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 2:37 PM

Great view of all the new stuff at west campus. From street level you don't get a good idea of just how much has been built but, wow, it's quite a lot.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 3:59 PM
Closed account

Great shots

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 8:51 PM
Information Age

Nice photos, I especially like the Dobie Center.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2008, 9:21 PM
Austinite

Thanks again for your comments everyone.

It is indeed eye opening to see the scope of the West Campus development from that perspective. As much as I think I'm on top of all new developments, even I was shocked at what has gone up.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 7:52 AM
Closed account

Amazing photos in both threads Mopacs! Thank you for sharing these with us. I can't wait to see the rest.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 5:51 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
These are sweet! I still remember your Austin aerial thread from a year or two ago taken on a commercial flight shortly after take off. (You were flying to Los Angeles, IIRC.) Man, the skyline has really changed in the past two years. Thanks for sharing these.
You are correct sir. Here's the referenced thread, from October 2006:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=121603

The images were taken from a higher altitude, and a bit farther to the south. However, here are a few zoomed-in photos of the UT/West Campus area. You can really get a sense of the dramatic changes over the past two years:

and 12/2008:

Also notice DKR Memorial Stadium; The north end-zone 'horseshoe' has been completely rebuilt and expanded, complete with an upper deck. Construction began about 2 months after this shot was taken. The lower deck opened first, in time for the 2007 football season. The upper deck and all construction was completed a year later, prior to the 2008 season:

...and 12/2008, from the west:

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 8:20 PM
passion for patterns

Nice photos. Some of them came out very well. What resolution may I ask did you take them at? if you uploaded them to flickr, tagged them properly (mportant), and submitted them to a few pools, they would be seen and appreciated by a lot of people who wouldn't normally come on SSP or even know what this site is.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 10:43 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Nice campus. What a gem in a great city.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 12:56 AM

Wow. These look great! I live in West Campus (The Block @ 21st and Pearl) and was always amazed at the rapid growth in density of the area. But, for some reason, I still pictured a neighborhood with large swaths of historic single-family homes where the professors and their families lived with only a few multi-unit developments. Glad to see Austin's most densely-populated neighborhood, my current home, continue to grow.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 2:36 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
Nice photos. Some of them came out very well. What resolution may I ask did you take them at? if you uploaded them to flickr, tagged them properly (mportant), and submitted them to a few pools, they would be seen and appreciated by a lot of people who wouldn't normally come on SSP or even know what this site is.
Hey Arb. There orginals were taken at 6mp... approx 3000x2000px. I might just do that at Flickr, particularly after I clean up the rest of the photos. For this set, I set up a free account at Photobucket, and hotlinked from there. I found it somewhat easier to do than Flickr. My primary (paid) host is Fotki... been a subscriber for 6+ years. Great service and generally worth the price...EXCEPT...the 800x800px max on hotlinking. Kind of rediculous that its not available for paid subscribers, yet you can do so easily with free accounts elsewhere.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 5:42 AM

UT SUCKS!!!

Ok, I hate their sports teams. But it's a great university in one of my favorite areas of the country, the San Antonio-Austin-Hill Country area. Great pics!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos