I've heard about hosting the 2009 World Games at the new Kaohsiung World Stadium. I didn't know that it is solar-powered!!!
That must be indeed a very enviromental-friendly stadium.
Here's the link to the offical website: http://www.worldgames2009.tw/wg2009/eng/index.php
HERE ARE SOME INFO QUOTED DIRECTLY FROM THE PAGE.
VISIT THE ACTUAL PAGE FOR MORE PICS: http://www.worldgames2009.tw/wg2009/...s_connect2.php
Located on Jhong Hai Road in the Zuoying District, the 50,000 capacity main stadium for the World Games 2009 Kaohsiung was designed by Toyo Ito. The renowned Japanese architect has been awarded with the Gold Medal of the Royal Institute of British Architects, and the Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement at the Venice Biennale.
The stadium is the first of its kind to fully utilize solar energy at a large scale, capable of generating one million kW of electricity annually through the solar panels installed on the roof. The cutting edge design of the stadium has been influenced by the environment as well. The open top spiral structure, and its curved bracing and buttresses mimic the dynamics of a flowing river.
・ In the project, the green land covers 67017 ㎡, accounting for 43.5% of the clear areas.
・ Transplantation of Existing Plants
3. Water Conservation
Pedestrian space around the stadium the beige asphalt are to be used. Parking lots with water-filterable base and surface, which feature hollow bricks for grass growing..
4. Energy Saving of Buildings
(1) Energy Saving of Building Outside
(2) Energy Saving of Air-conditioning
・Inverter Turbo Refrigerator ・VWV system ・VAV system
(3) Energy Saving of Illumination Hi-efficient lamps and rectifiers, controllers and hi-reflecting lampshades are to be used
(4) Light-Power Conversation Through Solar Energy Utilization
1.The photoelectric cells allow 30% of total sunlight through, therefore delivering a real-time weather change to audience
2. Reduction of CO2 Production Sunlight electricity generation reduces 0.53kg CO2 per 1kwh, as compared with traditional method. In this project, the generation capacity is 1000kw and annual generation is 1.1 million kwh. Base on these figures, the total reduction of CO2 discharge is 583,000 kg (equivalent to CO2 reduction capacity of the green lands).
3. Avoid Daytime Peak Hour Consumption of Power As one kwh costs 3 Taiwan dollars, and power generation are available 3 hours everyday, 3000 kwh can be generated in a single day, and 10,000 Taiwan dollars can be saved.
4. Photoelectric Conversion for Outdoor Facilities Photoelectric conversion can be applied to road lamps, scenic spot illumination and information indication.
Address：Jhonghai Rd. and Jyunsiao Rd. intersection,Zuoying District,Kaohsiung City
A photo from Flickr: