HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 3:52 AM

Dundas | my neighbourhood

HAMILTON NEIGHBOURHOODS:
CorktownDurandCentralDundasLocke St. SouthBurlingtonStinsonWestdaleSt. ClairKeithLandsdale
The DeltaGibsonJamesvilleConcession StreetDurand NorthDurand SouthOld Dundas HousesHess VillageBarton Street
AncasterNorth KirkendallSouth KirkendallMcMaster UniversityDowntownThe BayfrontThe North EndKenilworth
Mountain BrowTextile DistrictStrathconaNorth StipleyFlamboroughBeasleyChedokeStoney CreekThe Beach Strip

HAMILTON FEATURES:
C I T Y _ L I G H T SStone HamiltonTwilight of the Industrial AgeTwilight of the Industrial Age II
Stone in Dundas and AncasterGoodbye, Hamilton (from 43 floors up)Dirty BrickDay for Night
This broken down old city still manages to wake up every morning...Everywhere, Ontario< R - E - T - R - O >
HAMILTON | Scenes from the cutting room floorS U B U R B I A !Everywhere, OntarioHamilton Rowhouses
< H E A V Y <> I N D U S T R Y > Old Man Winter vs. Hamilton

Georgian and Victorian homes of Dundas

I travel all over studying neighbourhoods, but one of Ontario's most diverse collections of old houses is right in my backyard. We had some decent weather over the last week or two so I took my camera along for some walks.

Dundas is now a bedroom community of Hamilton but was actually settled before Hamilton, in the 1790s. Its location in a valley surrounded by the Niagara Escarpment meant there was plenty of water to power mills. Dundas became prominent as a major shipping port for points west in Ontario with the opening of the Desjardins Canal to Lake Ontario. Hamilton later overtook Dundas in importance with the opening of Hamilton harbour, the Welland Canal, and the ascendance of railroads.

In this tour I focus on Dundas' Georgian and Victorian architecture. Much of the surviving Georgian architecture dates to approximately the 1840s (the oldest surviving building in Dundas was built in 1804). Some of the Georgian houses look rather plain, but are included because they are much older than what you typically find in Ontario.

In a future tour, I'll focus on the more urban aspects of Dundas.

There is no order to these pictures...look closely because there are quite a few gems in Dundas.

Last edited by flar; May 16, 2009 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 4:56 AM
Eurosceptic

thank you for this delightful tour, flar

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 4:58 AM

Nice pictures.

When I drove through Dundas, it seemed like it still had that small-town feeling, as opposed to neighborhood-in-Hamilton feeling. Is that how residents and outsiders see Dundas? Do people look at Dundas as its own town still, with its own neighborhoods and whatnot?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 5:16 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Excellent job!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 6:05 AM
zzzzzzzz

nice looking neighborhood.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 4:15 PM

Great tour!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 4:55 PM

So which one do you live in?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 5:00 PM

Lucky you! Nice neighborhood!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures.

When I drove through Dundas, it seemed like it still had that small-town feeling, as opposed to neighborhood-in-Hamilton feeling. Is that how residents and outsiders see Dundas? Do people look at Dundas as its own town still, with its own neighborhoods and whatnot?
Definitely a small town feel here, in many ways it's a typical Canadian town, though with 25,000 people it's quite a large town. Dundas still has a strong identity too, even the people in newer subdivisions surrounding the old town feel a part of Dundas. This seems especially true of the kids who grow up here, mainly because Dundas has its own minor sports teams and schools.

A lot of people affiliated with McMaster University live in Dundas (McMaster is right on the Hamilton/Dundas border). There is also an art school and a very large arts community here, especially potters. Overall there is quite a mix of people here, plenty of blue collar neighbourhoods and retirees living in condos.

In all, it's a very quiet and laid back place to live with a thriving downtown, great natural surroundings and all the conveniences of a city. I think of it as the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denveraztec View Post
So which one do you live in?
If only I could afford a house in Dundas....

I live in a 3 storey walkup that is not photo-worthy but at least I still get to walk through these streets daily and enjoy the beauty of Dundas.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 12:21 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Thanks for the tour. You should come to Belleville sometime and do my East Hill neighborhood! BTW we have a lot more snow than you guys by the look of it!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 3:27 PM
Beer Stampede

Another excellent tour of an area around Hamilton!! So much history and uniqueness in this city!! Thanks!!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 9:38 PM

Definitely an awesome collection of homes. I love those stone houses. Wonderful pictures, yet again.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 9:57 PM

Great tour as usual flar and excellent photography. Out of all of your tours, I think I like this one the best. The variety of architecture and the variety of materials used (love those stone blocks) surpasses most, if not all Ontario towns. Judging by the quality of the homes, it's obvious this was once a very affluent town.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 10:21 PM
Motor City Mountaineer

Very interesting, amazing amount of character

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by androiduk View Post
Great tour as usual flar and excellent photography. Out of all of your tours, I think I like this one the best. The variety of architecture and the variety of materials used (love those stone blocks) surpasses most, if not all Ontario towns. Judging by the quality of the homes, it's obvious this was once a very affluent town.
It's still quite affluent (although there is a socioeconomic mix here as I mentioned earlier). Downtown Dundas has some pretty upscale shopping too.

Thanks for the replies.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 7:44 PM
Unpolitically Correct

Nice hood

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos