HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
There is a plan. Part of the Evergreen Line budget includes capacity upgrades at Broadway-Commercial. A second northbound platform will be added on the Expo Line so that trains can be boarded from both sides at the same time (I think this will be a first in Canada, but correct me if I'm wrong). The station will also have new connections from the Evergreen Line to the Expo Line to handle the increased passenger loads, including new escalators, new bridge over Broadway (to connect direct to the new platform). And more short-turn trains will run from Broadway to Waterfront.
I've never seen anything official in regards to this. The Safeway would have to be redeveloped to accommodate a new platform. Shouldn't that happen fairly soon if Evergreen is running in 4 years?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 5:54 AM

North Shore Area Transit Plan

[Wrong Thread]

Last edited by bardak; Feb 13, 2012 at 5:55 AM. Reason: Wrong Thread

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 6:38 AM
A.H.-Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I've never seen anything official in regards to this. The Safeway would have to be redeveloped to accommodate a new platform. Shouldn't that happen fairly soon if Evergreen is running in 4 years?
The CIBC/Mickey Dees side has plenty of air space available. But the problem is: how do you extend the footbridge over Broadway to the north side when the canopy is already present?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 7:05 AM

The canopy is on the outbound not the inbound side. The new platform would be on the inbound side.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 7:34 PM
formerly tin²ium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
The canopy is on the outbound not the inbound side. The new platform would be on the inbound side.
Will this platform be only accessible from the South Side of Broadway? I don't know if it can be extended across the road.

I can totally seeing the Safeway side (East) being the main alighting platform and the central platform being for boarding. Just open the East Side doors a few seconds before the West side. Of course, this may introduce a different set of problems.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 7:52 AM
BANNED

Evergreen Line. The movie.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 12:06 AM

"EVERGREEN LINE CONSTRUCTION BULLETIN | February 2012
Coquitlam – Como Lake Avenue Power Supply Upgrade – Installation of New Underground Power lines
Work on the installation of new underground BC Hydro power lines is set to begin on or about February 29, 2012 in Coquitlam. The power supply will be used by the tunnel boring machine during construction and it will power the propulsion system for the Evergreen Line when it opens in the summer of 2016.

Coquitlam – Como Lake Avenue
Construction activity will begin on Como Lake Avenue in the immediate areas adjacent to the intersection at Clarke Road. It will then continue on Como Lake Avenue west to North Road and east to Dogwood Street. Work will include the digging of a 1.5 metre trench, installation of BC Hydro duct banks and resurfacing to previous condition.
• Work in the Como Lake Avenue and Clarke Road intersection will be done at night (7pm to 6am) to minimize traffic impacts.
• Work on either side of the Clarke Road and Como Lake Avenue intersection (North Road to Clarke Road and between Dogwood Street and Clarke Road) will be done during the day (9 am to 3 pm) to minimize impacts on residents."

PDF link:http://www.evergreenline.gov.bc.ca/d...eb27_final.pdf

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 2:41 AM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

A very interesting day for one of the bidders of Evergreen Line. Its not everyday that a supposedly stable, healthy, profitable and well renowned engineering firm had its stock drop 21%!!!!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2352286/

Quote:
The Montreal-based engineering firm has been fending off allegations for months about its work in Libya and its close ties to the family of Moammar Gadhafi. The company has repeatedly insisted it did nothing wrong and, until now, the allegations had little direct impact on SNC’s operations, which span the world.

That changed on Tuesday when SNC stunned investors by announcing that a committee of its board of directors is reviewing $35-million in payments made late last year that had been tied to construction projects “to which they did not relate.” The committee is investigating the “facts and circumstances” of the payments as well as “certain other contracts.”.
And if you're thinking of buying SNC stock, be careful. At the very least, read this first.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2352608/

Quote:
What we have here is panic selling of an exceptionally profitable company. And that can mean just one thing: Investors are looking beyond this quarter and focusing on the fallout from something far murkier: SNC-Lavalin has said that $35-million in payments made in the fourth quarter were, in the words of a press release, “documented to construction projects to which they did not relate.” Cue the internal investigation, which is what is delaying the quarterly results.

The company’s reputation is at stake here – and that’s a big threat for a company that must bid on big-dollar projects, often in somewhat wild locales. As my colleague Paul Waldie noted, SNC- Lavalin has been dealing with allegations relating to its work in Libya and its close ties to the family of former dictator Moammar Gadhafi. Earlier this month, it dismissed two executives connected to Gadhafi’s son.
I personally am disappointed, as I strongly believe SNC Lavalin would be the leading contender for this project. After all, they built Canada Line and iirc, the Millenium Line as well, plus they are also building the Calgary LRT extension. Hopefully things will die down, the quarterly earnings be announced, and this scandal will be resolved.

Its a bit scary and while SNC Lavalin hasn't won the contract (yet), this is a constant reminder that nothing is final about the Evergreen Line until the project is actually completed and in service...

Last edited by queetz@home; Feb 29, 2012 at 2:51 AM.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 3:09 AM
zoom zoom

My money is... not on SNC.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 10:50 PM

SNC is still a massive corporation despite what comes out of the Libyan turmoil. Not trying to say that they stock dip isn't a blow to them financially, nor that continued gloom may follow, however, they have so many business interests world -wide operating many different categories of the economy. They are HUGE!

Frankly, Evergreen line construction is so small compared to the overall revenues the main company generates annually. They would be more than capable of bidding, winning, and completing the EG line despite the recent dip in stocks. It really doesn't relate to our local project anyways.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 11:15 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitJack View Post
SNC is still a massive corporation despite what comes out of the Libyan turmoil. Not trying to say that they stock dip isn't a blow to them financially, nor that continued gloom may follow, however, they have so many business interests world -wide operating many different categories of the economy. They are HUGE!

Frankly, Evergreen line construction is so small compared to the overall revenues the main company generates annually. They would be more than capable of bidding, winning, and completing the EG line despite the recent dip in stocks. It really doesn't relate to our local project anyways.
The 2008 Financial crisis has thought us that even the biggest corporations can literally fail overnight with little or no warning....

The one thing that is scary from the Libyan turmoil is the fact that the company is involved with these mysterious payments, which is what makes the investors jittery. So much so the drop pretty much wiped out $1.5 billion of market value, every major investment dealer downgraded their stock bigtime, and it still showed no sign of recovery (not even bargain hunters are touching it now). Ultimately, its not the fact that they won't be as profitable this quarter, but the concern really is off trust.

Engineering firms must ensure they can be trusted above all else, after all, not only are we talking about billions of dollars in infrastructure projects, but also the safety of the people that will be using those projects. A shady deal such as the mysterious, unaccounted $35 million payment, would show prospective clients, including the Province of BC, that perhaps this isn't the best company I would like to put my dollars in. And if they are a bunch of lying, scheming SOBs, who knows how the quality of their projects would be after they are built.

But its still too early to tell, and we should await the outcome of their...investigation. Its just a pity that this happen, because before Tuesday, the one bidder that I would think which could deliver Evergreen Line at its finest was SNC Lavalin. We shall see...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 1:47 AM

As long as Kiewitt doesn't get the Evergreen things should be fine.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 2:45 AM
zoom zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCvl View Post
As long as Kiewitt doesn't get the Evergreen things should be fine.
??? Why not Kiewitt?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 4:30 AM

Collapsing gantry cranes

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 6:12 AM

To be fair, collapsing gantry cranes can happen with any construction company. Kiewit will have tighter protocols to ensure this type of thing never happens again.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 6:16 AM

Of course I know that, just being funny

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 6:25 AM

I know, I was going to respond a few hours ago with the exact same thing you said. lost track.

The completion date has already been pushed back by two years, I couldn't bear another delay! We needed this years ago!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 12:52 PM
Registered

With all of Kiewit's equipment already so close by, chances must be alright.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 5:57 AM

Does anyone have the short list of bidders. I was hoping for SNC to get the contract. I also believe A french company was in the running for the short short list.

The reason Kiewet is not wanted is that once they get work they have a habit of changing contracts and excluding things from the contract. The province ends uppicking up the dime. Also Keiwet does not return much back to the local economy. Most of the equipment is purchased across the border and alot of the labour is American not Canadian

Also I would not want to see Bilfinger here as well lookk at the 2 projects they did. They bailed on the water treatment tunnel and the quality of the Golden Ears Bridge.

Locally PCL may be a bidder

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 6:08 AM
zoom zoom

EL Partners, Kiewit/Flatiron, and SNC-Lavalin are the three short listed companies. I'm not sure who EL Partners consists of but I believe that it includes Bombardier and PCL.

Edit: see this post earlier in the thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2966

Looks like PCL is in with SNC-Lavalin for this project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure