HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3 View Post
On MARTA, the biggest issue is safety. I know this from first hadn experience. I live right near the Art Center Station and ride MARTA fairly frequently, but nowadays only when I have to. This past summer (and I hate to bring race in to this, but I have to) I (having had drinking and driving violations) wanted to take MARTA to a bar, where I would meet people. This was around 11. I, thinking Art Center Station in midtown on the N-S line would be safe. Well, at that hour I was the only white person, and amidst a much lower class of people. It was not long before one was taunting me and asking me questions so I moved away. The guy continued and then when I would not give him my phone to borrow, he out of the blue socked me in the face. His posse came over and surrounded me and he proceeded to beat the crap out of me while some in the group chanted beat whitie etc. I escaped after none of the 30 or so other bystanders came to help me and I was bleeding everywhere. I found the two MARTA "cops" just coming out of the upstairs back coffee room joking and looking at me. There was no concern there. They wanted me to walk back down to the platform with them, amazingly (I was a little scared at that point because even with the cops, I was the only white person, and ATL cops have given me reverse racist remarks before), but at the time they were of no help. The guys escaped, none of the bystanders of course knew anything, even though some were talking to that posse creepy group before everything went down. I told the cops I was fine and went back to my place to clean up, but I was in great pain. After I would not stop bleeding I went to the ER the next day, had a CAT scan, received stitches on my eyebrow, and found out I had a broken nose and an orbital fracture (cheekbone). Eventually the main culprit was found, and I told authorities I wanted to prosecute when I was asked. After that, after numerous calls back to find out what I needed to do, nobody called back, nobody answered my calls.
Is this why you look like that?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 10:56 PM
Physicist

This guy didn't get attacked. There's no gangs loitering in Arts Center station. Maybe he could have gotten hit somewhere but a beatdown in a circle of brothers chanting, "Kill Whitey," invokes some skepticism, no?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 11:10 PM

It did. Honestly, the only people I've ever heard say that were white people.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 12:55 AM
Born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensixtwo View Post
This guy didn't get attacked. There's no gangs loitering in Arts Center station. Maybe he could have gotten hit somewhere but a beatdown in a circle of brothers chanting, "Kill Whitey," invokes some skepticism, no?
LMAO, hell yeah, ole lying ass. Probably some kid with nothing else better to do, he needs a girlfriend.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 1:06 AM

Well folks get beaten up, shot, stabbed, kidnapped, cussed out and what not in parking lots all the time yet you don't hear many people saying they can't drive because of all the danger. Why is the MARTA any different?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 1:51 AM

Fl Rail

Quote:
or never experienced anything themselves in 15 years sounds pretty suspiscious....You can attack me for that opinion, or you can attack the opinion, your choice, but I'd prefer the latter.
Firstly, I certainly wasn't attacking you, unless requesting facts is an attack. Now that you've mentioned having looked at some maps and such, the foundation of your opinion is known. As a Floridian you should also know it's not so much that Floridian's love their cars (though some certainly do), but the land use patterns and alternatives are such that the car is the de facto standard. As for "high speed rail", it's simply a moniker the state and federal projects/initiatives have chosen. Personally I think not 'quite high speed rail' would be a little clumsy, not to mention mostly irrelevant.

Secondly, I can assure you that I've patronized the system for 16 years, at all hours, and have never had nor witness any issue. Apparently you find that "suspiscious", which if I read between the lines sounds a bit like you're calling me a liar. In principle I certainly don't appreciate that. But then again, your perspective doesn't seem all the valuable. So no harm, no foul.

The facts remain: you are not by any stretch of the imagination safer in your car, MARTA is not really any more dangerous than the city it serves, you have race and perception issues, and frankly your analysis is weak if not apocryphal...I certainly won't be wasting anymore time with it.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 1:52 AM

Poor kid got a worse whoopin' here than on Marta.
Change your pic Simms so people can't target you.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 2:12 AM

rhythm

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 2:30 AM
Chicago carpetbagger

Let's get this thread back on track.

Last edited by ChicagoChicago; Feb 12, 2010 at 5:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Are we as Atlantans self conscious about our image and problems? Because for everyone here to say they have never heard of anything negative going on on MARTA or never experienced anything themselves in 15 years sounds pretty suspiscious. And yes, especially in Atlanta, there can be reverse racism. I would just call it racism, but Reverend Jesse Jackson said that minorities could not be racist because they don't have the power to be racist. I guess I should feel bad about my chiming in with my opinion that the main problem with MARTA was safety and not "customer service" etc. I simply shared an experience and anecdotal examples, and now I am the one being attacked for it. These attacks are also personal, not reasonable. Thanks.
You choose to bring a personal story into this, one that is based highly on racial stereotypes and pushing racial boundaries - that is highly suspicious I might add - and now you are playing the 'don't bring me personal into this?'. I'm sorry, but that is relevant. This isn't about stats, or merely a quoted statistic about perception as you've tried to turn it into. This has been entirely about your story, your feelings, your perception. Don't get upset when people call you on those feelings and perceptions. I personally think you're racist, feel free to bash me personally for calling you such.

You are right that the perception exists, one that MARTA could do more to curtail to attract a larger number of the suburban crowd and make them feel more comfortable.

Quote:
Seriously, when I see some hick in too short khakis, boat shoes and a pink polo I want to hit him in the face too. It's not just a black thing.
This may be the best thing I've ever heard on this forum.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 6:27 AM

Quote:
This past summer (and I hate to bring race in to this, but I have to) I (having had drinking and driving violations) wanted to take MARTA to a bar, where I would meet people.
After having some drinking and driving violations? It sounds to me like you're making the roads much less safe than MARTA will ever be... Sounds like you need to grow up a bit.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 1:39 PM

Trump site auction

It seemed like only a matter of time before this happened:

http://www.ajc.com/business/midtown-...te-300286.html
Midtown Trump Towers site going on the auction block
The Atlanta Business Chronicle reported Friday that the site of the condo project at the corner of West Peachtree and 15th streets is scheduled for auction on March 2.

The planned development by Wood Partners was to include two towers, one 47 stories and the other 38, with 563 residential units.

Also planned were 20,000 square feet of retail and other high-end amenities.

Prices for the residential units were to have ranged from $500,000 to $1.6 million.

Construction had originally been scheduled to begin in 2007, with a 2010 completion date.

"The start of that project is a long way off at this point," Bennett Sands, director of Wood Partners, told the AJC last summer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 2:00 PM
Construction litigator

According to this article in the Atlanta Business Chronicle, Kilpatrick Stockton, Atlanta's 4th largest law firm, is following Alston & Bird into the realm of leasing new space.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVAsuperman View Post
According to this article in the Atlanta Business Chronicle, Kilpatrick Stockton, Atlanta's 4th largest law firm, is following Alston & Bird into the realm of leasing new space.
it must be a great time to renegotate long term leases

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
i wouldn't find any issue being among that crowd.
I find it hard to believe you would find "no issue" with being in a crowd of people that was beating the shit out of you on a marta platform.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 9:35 PM
Physicist

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantech View Post
I find it hard to believe you would find "no issue" with being in a crowd of people that was beating the shit out of you on a marta platform.
You taking Atl2Phx's response to a comment all out of context. Atl2Phx was responding to someone that stated with strong implication that anyone not blonde-haired and blue-eyed as not normal.

Not seeing that Atl2Phx was referring to that is what I find hard to believe.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantech View Post
briantech, i was responding this comment from simms3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3 Notice how for the majority of this episode everyone else just sits there. Once again, not being racist, but if you were a normal blonde haired blue eyed guy would you feel comfortable in this crowd? Let alone at night!
about this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXz-tlK2pkI

again, i wouldn't have been uncomfortable in that crowd, but i'm quite comfortable in most urban settings and i'm not one to project fear. personally, i find it offensive that more people don't STEP UP in these situations, particularly on behalf of an elderly woman.

regarding the beat down that simms3 experienced on the platform, having not been there for the entire episode, i can't say what i would have done.
what i will say is marta is generally the last mode of transportation i would consider taking SOLO at 11pm at night TO GO OUT DRINKING. i would think that's pretty good advice for anyone.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 10:57 PM

generally, i find when people preface a comment, with "i'm not being racist", then, yeah, it's time to take another look at yourself and peel that onion back.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 1:16 AM

Nice shot, 762. I like the Biltmore towers just peeking up from the bottom.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations