HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityenthusiast View Post
Yea I dont really agree with that one either. Also think about the population difference between atlanta's in-town of roughly 500,000 and then Houston of more than 2 million, then think about how large and dense atlanta would be to Houston if it had that same in-town population( It would blow Houston out of the water) However we should change the subject or it will go on forever and I do love Houston its a wonderful and thriving city and this comment isn't meant to put Houston down after all I was born there.
I'm not sure the population numbers really matter that much in this comparison, considering Houston's city limits cover roughly 656 square miles whereas Atlanta's covers roughly 132. We're specifically talking about the dense developments located in the heart of the cities, not the sprawling communities beyond.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlgal View Post
This is unfortunately a GA Power substation. Home Park tried to fight it, but lost the battle.
yeah, i hate that there won't be a better use for that property. I consulted on the landscaping with the architect who designed it, and it's probably the nicest looking substation we could get. It's thematically connected to the new 14th street bridge, and there will be extensive landscaping and an area to sit.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 5:14 AM

jlb pharr rd apartment project, from retro fitness

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post
I'm not sure the population numbers really matter that much in this comparison, considering Houston's city limits cover roughly 656 square miles whereas Atlanta's covers roughly 132. We're specifically talking about the dense developments located in the heart of the cities, not the sprawling communities beyond.
Yea I forgot how much larger houston's city limits are. I know we were specifically talking about intown like downtwon and midtown. Houston just seems more sprawled then atlanta but not by much but if you add population like houston's atlanta core would be much larger even if you compare the different size of the city limits because as of now houston's core isnt that much denser than atlanta

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 11:18 AM

Houston overall is denser than Atlanta. It has a grid and goes uniformly in basically all directions, but spreads much further to the west. Atlanta has very dense corridors and dense village type areas with hills and ravines and rail yards and creeks in between, so it is more typical of its Piedmont/Appalachian region.

When I compared the two, I was referring to walkability, urbanity and big city feel. We on this particular thread are all basically in or from Atlanta, so I'm not trying to start a war, so really Houston people don't need to come on and "defend" and Atlanta people don't need to get too off topic from construction

Thanks for the shot above. Have been wondering how those apartments on Pharr have been coming along and it looks like they are well on their way!

I will say that Skyhouse is already really starting to block my view of Aqua looking south. It's rising really really fast!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
I will say that Skyhouse is already really starting to block my view of Aqua looking south. It's rising really really fast!
I passed it yesterday on the interstate and was shocked at the progress. That thing is flying up! I wonder if it will be visible from my room before I move out in 4 weeks.. haha

Pictures by Me! - http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/gtjared/

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
1010 has been selling like crazy from what I hear - and that is with prices that are coming back up.
Do you think there's any chance whatever that 77 12th is sold as condos rather than rentals?

If 1010 were to sell out before construction was complete, 77 12th would be essentially the only major prime development in Midtown selling new units, with no competition whatsoever for a year or two. I guess it all depends on pricing, and whether the building was designed with conversion into condos in mind.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMustang View Post
I passed it yesterday on the interstate and was shocked at the progress. That thing is flying up! I wonder if it will be visible from my room before I move out in 4 weeks.. haha
It is ridiculous how quick they are going. They are on a 3-day cycle... essentially doing a floor every 3 days. They are on floor 7 right now...The PM said they are on track to deliver on January 2013.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 8:33 PM

Why do we have to keep talking about Houston, this is an ATLANTA thread................

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slog View Post
It is ridiculous how quick they are going. They are on a 3-day cycle... essentially doing a floor every 3 days. They are on floor 7 right now...The PM said they are on track to deliver on January 2013.
Do you know if they have a web cam?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Why do we have to keep talking about Houston, this is an ATLANTA thread................
I think it already ended...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slog View Post

Do you guys think that 77 12th is just creeping along?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Do you guys think that 77 12th is just creeping along?
I think there going a little bit slow but they are on schedule and basically moving at a normal pace. It just seems extremely slow because there's a building down the street (Skyhouse) thats moving at chinese pace (Ridiculously fast)

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 1:27 PM

North American Plans $35M Apartment Community on Fourth Ward Land

Construction is expected to commence by late spring on the $35 million five-story apartment community, which will have 276 units on the park's "oceanfront" near the Atlanta BeltLine's Eastside Trail.North American expects the first residents to take occupancy of their units in fall 2013.The property is bound by Glen Iris Drive on the west, Dallas Street on the north, Rankin Street on the south and Historic Fourth Ward Park on the east, a short walk from the former City Hall East, which Jamestown is redeveloping into Ponce City Market.

http://atlantarealestate.citybizlist...Ward-Land.aspx

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 2:16 PM

Bedford Pine / Wingate

I was hoping to get some feedback from people on this board about Bedford Pine, Wingate Management, and what the future holds for that area. I know the whole background and the issues involved, but I was wondering with all the development occurring in the area (the announced North American property apartments, I believe AMLI is building another unit in the area, Ponce City Market, the continued gentrification of O4W) what do you see happening with this area of Boulevard? Will Wingate eventually sell the property to developers? Will Wingate decide to redevelop the property themselves (I believe I read that they were beginning to look into this)? Will they continue to just rake in government money from Section 8 housing? If anyone has any insight or opinion on this I would love to hear it.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 4:06 PM

So how many cranes are up in Atlanta at the moment? Can we officially say that Atlanta is at a dawn of a boom? Or is it already in a booming stage after years of stagnant construction activity.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere 2020 View Post
So how many cranes are up in Atlanta at the moment? Can we officially say that Atlanta is at a dawn of a boom? Or is it already in a booming stage after years of stagnant construction activity.
From the lack of activity it might be more accurate to say that Atlanta is at the dawn of a stirring.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 5:36 PM

Downtown Atlanta getting $10 million spruce-up

Downtown Atlanta, which convention planners have pegged as dirty in surveys, is in the middle of a $10 million-plus makeover.

Central Atlanta Progress is installing decorative gates around tree boxes, replacing uneven sidewalks, restoring public art and repairing the fountain at Margaret Mitchell Square.

To improve traffic flow, the group has upgraded pedestrian signage and added or updated street signals and re-striped car lanes to make driving easier.

Money for the work comes from the downtown booster group, as well as the city, state and Atlanta Downtown Improvement District.

"Ideally most of the projects will do a couple of things," Jennifer Ball, vice president of planning and economic development for CAP. "It will increase public safety by also addressing the perception that downtown is dirty."

A top priority has been to install the decorative planters along Peachtree Street to discourage pedestrians from crossing between intersections and improve safety, Ball said. Police barriers had been used to force pedestrians to cross at lights, but the result was ugly.

Downtown's image is important to metro Atlanta's $11 billion convention and tourism business. As cities across the United States add new buildings to the glut of meetings facilities nationwide -- despite a shrinking customers base -- it becomes more important that Atlanta reduce liabilities, experts say.

http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...5/downtown.php

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere 2020 View Post
"boom" might be overstating things a tad--maybe "return to normalcy". I'm not sure of many other significant towers in the pipeline right now. We really need some brisk localized price appreciation and absorption before things will really take off.

Buckhead is probably our best shot at a big new tower. It still seems like the "go to" for companies in Atlanta, and most of its vacancy issues stem from overbuilding, not weak demand.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityenthusiast View Post
I think there going a little bit slow but they are on schedule and basically moving at a normal pace. It just seems extremely slow because there's a building down the street (Skyhouse) thats moving at chinese pace (Ridiculously fast)
It doesn't look like Skyhouse's foot print isn't that big to begin with, so it may be reasonable to to expect a quicker pace.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations