HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
^THIS!
To me it doesn't matter if new construction in Atlanta is highrise or midrise, it depends entirely on how the site is used and how it addresses the street. And it doesn't always even have to support ground level retail - look at how much better Post Parkside is, for example, than Peachtree Walk or Tuscany (YUCK). The simple inclusion of ground-level entrances to individual units can help a lot. As far as I'm concerned, no new construction in Midtown or Downtown should be allowed to have a fence around it.
I'll third-that... there are many appropriate ground floor urban conditions. Storefronts should only be required in a few locations, everything else should be flexible (space that can convert over time from residential to office or retail), or a residential frontage type.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 11:52 PM

Totally agree about the storefronts. I did not think Skyhouse needed them - although at their supposed going rents, amenities are out of the question and potential future retail rents/sale of retail space is probably better.

I also agree that it is a potential shame - the proton therapy building at Peachtree/Juniper/Ponce/North. That site needs something a lot more and having it vacant is better than total underutilization. Unfortunately I doubt Cousins is fielding any other serious offers that they can consider, and maybe the timing is coming due for them to capitalize that site. Who knows? I wish the damn Peachtree Pine shelter weren't still there and maybe that site would have been more interesting to develop on (or interesting to other parties who could sit on it and later develop it into something better than proton therapy).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 2:30 AM
Sustainable urbanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
Great that this sort of thing is coming to the metro, but a completely inappropriate location. At least if they plan on this being the only thing on the whole lot.

That's such an important piece of land--so close to a MARTA station, next to some of Atlanta's grandest historic architecture, at the intersection of major roads and a proposed transit corridor--that it really needs to be something more than a 100k SF medical facility. Even if it is super high tech.

Maybe if they just build on the Juniper side of the parcel and then sell the Peachtree side for further development it will be okay.

Wasn't Emory planning on building a ~20 floor med tower at West Peachtree & Linden? Seems like that would be a great place to house this sort of thing.
The current plans site the facility at the corner of Peachtree and North. It does not utilize the Ponce frontage, so that could be another project later. There is an identical facility elsewhere that has a hotel built on top for those receiving treatment, so while the location is not great, there is still some hope. Another possible location mentioned was the parking lot across from Emory midtown at the corner of Peachtree and Linden, though I do not know if that is still under consideration.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 12:36 PM

Are there any updates (photos) on all the developments like skyhouse, the hotel on 10 street and everything else. Some photos of everything would be much appreciated. thanks

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:50 PM

Alpharetta approves $700M development

Alpharetta’s City Council approved a $700 million retail and residential development around midnight Monday.

Avalon is a luxury mixed-use community slated to open in Alpharetta, Ga., in October 2013. It will be built on the northwest corner of Georgia Highway 400 and Old Milton Parkway. Its approval comes with 52 conditions, which will take the city a several days to finalize to release to the public.

Avalon includes a movie theater and more than 1.3 million square feet of office and retail space. Residential areas will also be built above the shops and some residents are worried about the rental units.

The developers said companies have already agreed to lease more than 100,0000 square feet. They said one of their main tenants will be Whole Foods.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...elopment/nMgdc

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 2:02 AM

pic of skyhouse

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlgal View Post
Although only 4 stories, Georgia Tech is set to start on its new Engineered Biosystems building on 10th St in between State St and Atlantic Ave soon. They have already started to remove trees from the site and will be starting construction sometime this summer. See http://www.gov.gatech.edu/assets/fy1...talProject.pdf
This is awesome!  This will definitely help start to clean up the east end of home park and turn it into a more desirable, safer college community.  Hoping State and Atlantic become nice walking corridors from GT to Atlantic station with nice homes (like on State between 14th and 16th).  I'm liking what I'm seeing in midtown.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:10 AM

They've wasted no time in throwing SkyHouse up, jesus.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Thank you for the update, Ham!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 3:30 PM

Hilton Hotel 10th and Williams

the early morning glare and trees destroyed the photo quality... I will try to get a better photo when I have some free time.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 8:49 PM

Northside Drive gets facelift

Road infrastructure improvements are needed on many Atlanta roads. I am glad that they plan to fix Northside Drive going north from I-75 to a bit past Wesley Road. Work should be completed by 2014.

http://www.reporternewspapers.net/20...gets-facelift/
http://buckhead.patch.com/articles/n...losing-by-2014

It is smart improvements such as this that encourage more pedestrian/bike traffic and/or alleviate congestion that will encourage more in-town fill development.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 9:11 PM

New Falcons stadium would cost $948 million

The Atlanta Falcons and Georgia World Congress Center Authority reached consensus that it makes more financial and logistical sense to build one new $948 million football stadium with a retractable roof than to retrofit the Georgia Dome.Ideally, the report said, the Falcons want a new 1.8 million-square-foot stadium with 66,000 to 72,000 seats and the ability to expand to up to 80,000 seats for special events.

They also suggested a new location just south of the Georgia Dome may be favored for the new stadium.

The two discussed the options Wednesday at a GWCCA meeting that featured a cost analysis from Kansas City, Mo.-based sports and entertainment architecture firm Populous.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...ium-would.html

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 10:19 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
the early morning glare and trees destroyed the photo quality... I will try to get a better photo when I have some free time.
I wouldn't waste my time...that's about as good as that building is ever going to look.
Thanks for the photo updates!

I can think of a few things I would rather see $948 million spent on other than a stadium...sigh.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 10:30 PM

When they say immediately south, it would have to be very immediate, and would hit MLK? That site doesn't look big enough.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 12:27 AM

Townhomes under construction in the Old Fourth Ward

Site prep for some townhomes in O4W next to the Eastside Trail (beltline)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 2:43 AM
Sustainable urbanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
When they say immediately south, it would have to be very immediate, and would hit MLK? That site doesn't look big enough.
From the article in the Atlanta Business Chronicle:
"Poe said a new study would examine the feasibility of a stadium on the south side of the Georgia Dome, but that document would likely remain confidential. That's because negotiations would have to be made with several property owners to buy the land south of the dome."

That block does look pretty tight.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...ium-would.html

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (four 0 four) View Post

I can think of a few things I would rather see $948 million spent on other than a stadium...sigh.
Then accumulate that much money and you, like Arthur Blank, can spend it how you'd like. Via the article shared, Blank / Falcons are contributing $700 million with the city, through the hotel/motel tax, would contribute around $300 million.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 12:54 PM
Engineer

The work for the 400/I-85 interchange is well underway. I saw about 10 workers on Sidney Marcus this morning and many trees have been cleared. This work is long overdue and is being paid for, along with some pedestrian bridges, by the 400 toll. Cost: $21.5M

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 1:17 PM

Quote:
the Falcons want a new 1.8 million-square-foot stadium with 66,000 to 72,000 seats and the ability to expand to up to 80,000 seats for special event
When they open up their checkbook, they can build one.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThomas View Post
The work for the 400/I-85 interchange is well underway. I saw about 10 workers on Sidney Marcus this morning and many trees have been cleared. This work is long overdue and is being paid for, along with some pedestrian bridges, by the 400 toll. Cost: $21.5M

Video Link

GDOT must have been on acid when they built this, it should have been done then.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations