HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 7:48 PM

The quotation i used was from Testarossa50 above. To give credit -sorry I evidently took out the attribution while editing.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking1056 View Post
While it is probably best for those things and most efficient in those cases, your statement is absolutely misguided. Also, when did $2.50 become "almost $3"?
$2.50 is ~85% of $3.00; that's pretty close. What does it have to be $2.99 for it to be almost $3.00? The same trip (i.e. 1-2 stations) in other cities does not cost me $2.50. My Hyundai 4-cylinder can easily go 25-30 miles in the city on $3.85, so why am I paying essentially $5.00 to go 1 mile? (to the grocery and back) Do the math...for city travel MARTA is up to 39x more expensive for me than driving!!!!! No brainer.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 10:07 PM

this much is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
The current system is hardly convenient. ...simply have an all time all pass card for all transit in the city.
I suspect I should be posting this in the transit forum, but since the thread is here...the delays between trains/buses and some of the geographical gaps (ie. the expansive nature of our city...depending on how one looks at it) are definite inconveniences. However, I do opt for the monthly pass. When it's all said, I'm probably paying $1.20+ a trip. Compared with fuel, parking, wear and externalities, it ends up being a price I'm willing to pay. Sometimes I just flatly prefer the strolling and not dealing with cars. But more often than not, the most burdensome cost from my POV is the lags/trip times. I wouldn't blink an eye if $2.50 got me there quicker, just like I don't think much about $2.25 in nyc or chicago...and put in those terms...given their economies of scale, it's a little surprising MARTA can even operate in the same ballpark.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
Or maybe they could sell parking spaces to nearby residents in the neighborhood? That would solve some of the problem...
This!

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
$2.50 is ~85% of $3.00; that's pretty close. What does it have to be $2.99 for it to be almost $3.00? The same trip (i.e. 1-2 stations) in other cities does not cost me $2.50. My Hyundai 4-cylinder can easily go 25-30 miles in the city on $3.85, so why am I paying essentially $5.00 to go 1 mile? (to the grocery and back) Do the math...for city travel MARTA is up to 39x more expensive for me than driving!!!!! No brainer.
By that same logic, you could live much cheaper in Cobb County (39%?) and drive your Hyundai to and from your office with no problem, so why live in the city? A lot of it comes down to personal choice, and I know plenty of people who choose to utilize MARTA because they are concerned about the environment. It's fine it you do and fine if you don't, but many people do. You can justify any actions with economics or stories of inconvenience, but if you really want transit in Atlanta to improve it would help to support it by opting to use it more often and/or purchasing a montly pass - which would lower your per trip fees a great deal. Just another opinion.

Just for comparison purposes, to go one stop on the DC Metro (I realize it covers a much wider area) it costs $1.95, but to go several stops it can easily cost up to $4 and over $5. Some others are at least close to MARTA fare, within .50 (Boston, Cleveland, Denver, Miami, etc). It sounds like it would be more convenient for you (and it would be for me too) if we had distance-based fares, but not everyone feels that way...so it would benefit some while inconveniencing others. I assume when the system grows at some point in the future, the fare system will change, possibly to distance-based fares.

Last edited by TarHeelJ; May 12, 2012 at 3:48 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 12:29 PM

The price of fares really varies widely in the US and globally. The London Underground is frightfully expensive by our standards and most Euro cities have high fares, but discounted multiple journey type passes. The economics is a bit messy because if you don't own a car the price of transit use is usually far below the cost of owning and maintaining a car. Once you own a car and have invested literally thousands of dollars in it, then one tend to trade off the cost with transit because the ticket seems like a "real price" to the user. There is a lot of psychology and perception going into this. When I lived in a city for 10 years without owning a car, I took taxis, buses, etc, rented cars without hesitation because the math showed that I was still far below the cost of owning a car. However, in ATL it is very difficult to have easy access to the area without your own car.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 1:06 PM

^^^^Right. Literally I have to own a car because our office is in Vinings. We are moving into town in 2014, and nowhere near transit but near enough to bike. Inconveniently my lease expires in March 2014 and I'll have that gap, but if I could eliminate $386/mo +~$60 gas a month + $151/mo insurance and completely stay in the city, then MARTA+cabs+zipcars make sense.

Sidenote: I just looked down on the street and the ladies in pink are marching again.

Oh, and I'm on my way to volunteer in Mableton...there's no F'ing way to get there without a car (I don't even know where it is...except SW Cobb County along the Hooch).

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 3:38 PM

College Football HOF to open 2014

The proposed College Football Hall of Fame is now in full restart mode with definitive plans to open the attraction by the end of 2014.

The project is receiving renewed commitment and support among its various partners and sponsors following a change in leadership late last year.

“It’s a new day for the project,” said John Stephenson Jr., the interim CEO of Atlanta Hall Management Inc., the entity that is coordinating the development of the Hall of Fame.

The National Football Foundation also has renewed its commitment to building the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p...lege-hall.html

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 9:40 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
We are moving into town in 2014, and nowhere near transit but near enough to bike.
You work for a developer right? Who is up in Vinings....Tivoli?

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropundit View Post
The proposed College Football Hall of Fame is now in full restart mode with definitive plans to open the attraction by the end of 2014.

The project is receiving renewed commitment and support among its various partners and sponsors following a change in leadership late last year.

“It’s a new day for the project,” said John Stephenson Jr., the interim CEO of Atlanta Hall Management Inc., the entity that is coordinating the development of the Hall of Fame.

The National Football Foundation also has renewed its commitment to building the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p...lege-hall.html

This video is amazing...........................

College Football Hall of Fame - Coming to Atlanta on Vimeo
http://vimeo.com/19572533

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slog View Post
The only way this project works is if it is detatched and precast which gets the costs to 10000 or so. I don't see why they just don't wrap the parking deck in narrow townhome models. Hmmmm. Or do something fun. Hell, put a green wall of wines for all I care. I just dont want to see a concrete box that creates a dead zone.
I agree. I have no issues with Novare building an ultra-cheap deck as long as it's hidden from the street. If they had room (something I don't know) they could fit a decent stick-built townhouse in 40-45 feet, or 20-25 feet if it was turned sideways, although the latter would be more difficult to rent/sell.

If you want to see an example of what I mean, look behind Edgewood Retail District. The neighborhood didn't want big boxes backing up against them, so Sembler sold off shallow "liner" pads to residential builders. It works from an urbanism point of view.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 8:31 PM
Save Our History!

I think townhomes would be a great way to block the deck but engage the street and neighborhood...I would first like to see retail but this is a great second solution. The College Football Hall of Fame looks great in that video and am glad to see that side of the the park engaged along with Marietta Street though Spring of 2013 seems a little off since I don't believe any dirt has been moved yet....anyone have pictures of the streetcar progress? Midtown seems to be getting a new chic salon (yawn) on Peachtree next to Bobby Berk Home and also a new green/organic goods store in the 999 building from the peeks I have taken in the windows it looks to be a great addition to the Midtown Mile! Half of the power lines have now been removed along 14th St. leading up to Piedmont Park hopefully the last few will go soon. It's exciting to see the city amping up again after a slower few years.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
I agree. I have no issues with Novare building an ultra-cheap deck as long as it's hidden from the street. If they had room (something I don't know) they could fit a decent stick-built townhouse in 40-45 feet, or 20-25 feet if it was turned sideways, although the latter would be more difficult to rent/sell.

If you want to see an example of what I mean, look behind Edgewood Retail District. The neighborhood didn't want big boxes backing up against them, so Sembler sold off shallow "liner" pads to residential builders. It works from an urbanism point of view.
Sorta like what they are doing in Vancouver. I think this is a very attractive alternative. This format could also be mixed and matched with retail every other town home to make it more "fine-grained."

Check out this thread. Very interesting reference.

"Vancouver - A Model For Urbanization?"

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=195694

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 1:07 PM

"Oliver McMillan to Begin Construction on “Buckhead Atlanta” Development"

This was in February! Any activity? Would like to see this hole filled sometime in the 2010s.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 2:39 PM

Quote:

This was in February! Any activity? Would like to see this hole filled sometime in the 2010s.
Yeah, do it or get off the pot....

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
Sorta like what they are doing in Vancouver. I think this is a very attractive alternative. This format could also be mixed and matched with retail every other town home to make it more "fine-grained."

Check out this thread. Very interesting reference.

"Vancouver - A Model For Urbanization?"

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=195694

This type of townhouse treatment would be ideal for a mostly residential street such as Juniper.

Quote:

Its supposed to begin shortly, if it hasn't already started. Heres the most recent article on it.

http://www.neighbornewspapers.com/st...ming-up,183602

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 4:00 PM

Duke's Camp Creek Business Center under construction

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post

Its supposed to begin shortly, if it hasn't already started. Heres the most recent article on it.

http://www.neighbornewspapers.com/st...ming-up,183602
Yes, but that was last month and they said they would start. I guess I am just tired of seeing that non-activity and can only imagine the negative consequences for all the surrounding businesses. Makes me long for the "seedy days" when you took on an hour to drive through the district at midnight.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, but that was last month and they said they would start. I guess I am just tired of seeing that non-activity and can only imagine the negative consequences for all the surrounding businesses. Makes me long for the "seedy days" when you took on an hour to drive through the district at midnight.
Although it may not be visible I assume they are doing work on the site.
As mentioned in that article, they are in "preconstruction" - modifying the existing structures to suit the new design of the project. Vertical construction will start later.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; May 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 10:06 PM

Beltline Eastside Trail: We’ve got concrete

The Atlanta Beltline’s Eastside Trail as seen from the Virginia Avenue bridge near 10th Street and Monroe Drive. Once complete, the path would link Piedmont Park and Inman Park and eventually connect to DeKalb Avenue. Project officials have said they’re aiming for a summer completion date.

http://atlurbanist.tumblr.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations