Originally Posted by PVG-YYC
Just want more information and opinion comparing Evanston with Conventry and Harvest Hills.
I am recently looking into purchasing a single family house in the NW.
What do you guys think of these neighborhoods?
Main points from my perspective:
- Age: Evanston is newer
- Public Transit: Coverntry and HH are along the 301 BRT and by North Pointe terminus, whereas Evanston is serviced poorly (and it will remain serviced by only feeder buses)
- Recreation: Coventry and HH have or are very close to Cardel Place, golf courses, movie theatres, etc.
- Food: Coventry and HH have or are close to way more food options than Evanston
- Shopping: Coventry and HH have or are close to food stores including superstore, T&T, several smaller multi-cultural stores, sobey's, save-on-foods, canadian tire, home depot, future shop, michael's, marks, and on and on
- Schools: Coventry and HH have way more schools in general
- Other services: Coventry and HH have or are close to numerous banks, registry, etc.
- Evanston and Coventry have great access to Stoney Trail, but Harvest Hills and Coventry have great access to Deerfoot
- Depending on where in Coventry or HH you're looking at, train noise could be an issue (I'd stay away from the East edges
- South edge of HH could have some airport noise, but in all honesty, it is much less a concern than the train, so stay away from East edge before staying away from south edge of HH.
Some portions of Panorama can compare to the higher end the areas you mentioned, but Panorama can also go much more expensive also. There is new building still going on in the north edge of panorama, which is walking distance to the gates of panorama (save-on, etc.).
Personally, I always look at transit and services, so while I'm a suburban SFH type, I actually consider aspects that many urbanites also consider important. I can't imaging being in Evanston because of transit, but perhaps that is not a concern for your context.